Thread: Playback stopped due to drop frames error

Playback stopped due to drop frames error

I just upgraded to latest version of 3Play 320. Saturday night the system would stop playback with an "to avoid dropped frames error". I think I found the problem, but wanted to confirm with someone. We were recording 4 sources. 1 of the sources was not active, meaning that we switch sides of the court at halftime, so we only record 1 down camera but it comes in on 2 different inputs. It looks like if there is not a valid signal coming in on an input it freaks out the system while recording. Once I changed the inputs, it started working again and stopped the error. We use different set-up depending on whether it's Men's or Women's BBall. I just want to make sure I don't have another impending problem.

Thanks

Purdue Technologist vanderwielen's Avatar
    till from the
    Quote Originally Posted by DStoneburner View Post
    I just upgraded to latest version of 3Play 320. Saturday night the system would stop playback with an "to avoid dropped frames error". I think I found the problem, but wanted to confirm with someone. We were recording 4 sources. 1 of the sources was not active, meaning that we switch sides of the court at halftime, so we only record 1 down camera but it comes in on 2 different inputs. It looks like if there is not a valid signal coming in on an input it freaks out the system while recording. Once I changed the inputs, it started working again and stopped the error. We use different set-up depending on whether it's Men's or Women's BBall. I just want to make sure I don't have another impending problem.

Thanks
    Correct. I suspected this and have since proven it. there are also issues if you boot without hdsdi sources on those inputs you are recording. my work arounds include routing a source from the 850 via my routerwhen powering (read powering, not rebooting). simply get into the habit off repowering prior to production.

This burned us the last game because our floor cameras are wireless and when they changed batteries they lost sync. Of course at the same time we were in the middle of a replay. At least we know the problem and have to be watchful for it.

We've had very similar issues.
    Sometimes they occur when there is no SDI signal routed, sometimes they occur when we try to route audio signals from one source to a different source (through the camera option menu).

A quick restart of the recording seems to help during games.

Quote Originally Posted by DStoneburner View Post
    I just upgraded to latest version of 3Play 320.
    Just for clarity, for Engineering - are you running a 330 or 425 (there is no "3Play 320")? Your comment re: recording 4 sources makes me suspect the latter, but maybe you meant to type "820"?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

We are running the 3Play 820.

There doesn't seem to be any consistency to when we get the "dropped frames" error message.

It definitely happens when we are recording an empty camera input (when not SDI signal is sent into a recorded input).

But it also happens at other times during the broadcast, and when we try to adjust any of the audio settings.

NewTek Engineering QA VideoEng QA's Avatar
    If you go to the reg.newtek.com page, log in and navigate to the "My Downloads" page. From there find the 3Play 820 downloads and install the "3Play 820 Rev. 2 Update", this revision that is currently out has addressed the issues mentioned previously in this thread.

If you have any questions please contact us here
    NewTek Engineering QA
    For bug reports, feature requests, or technical inquiries: https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?pg=pgPublicEdit

We just installed a 3Play 425 and have encountered this error. When playing back on either the A or B sides and fast jogging on the other channel the play out side will jitter or just stop playing. We have a good signal going in on all four channels and have found this to be a bit frustrating. Thoughts anyone?

We experience this all the time.
    We've found that two things make the problem worse:

1. Having any kind of dropped frames in an SDI signal. If you have any weak SDI signals, or any missing SDI signals (cameras disconnected), the problem happens very frequently.

2. Any software-based audio routing. If you try to route audio sources to different camera sources in the software, we get the error message all the time. If we just leave the audio sources in their default positions, the problem does not happen as frequently.

Finally, we did have a problem with one of our HDDs. We tried eliminating individual drives from the recording sessions, and eventually narrowed down the problem to one problematic drive that had to be replaced.

I hope this helps.

Our situation has not improved and we are becoming very discouraged by this. We have found the majority of the issues are with fast jog. We have tried many different situations and have found that we get this error in all situations.

Calls to customer support haven't given us a lot of confidence either. All we get is reset the system to manufacturers default or that they'll pass our issues onto engineering. After one time okay. But continually, this is not a direction that we are comfortable with.

I am happy with our decision to purchase this product and confident in the technology. It was very easy to learn and use. But we may have to return the unit and move onto another manufacturer if we can not get past this issue.

Thanks for these reports.

There seem to be a couple of different items in this thread, as much as they look alike. I know some of you have ongoing discussions with CS, and am reluctant to have too many people involved ... but I've gone ahead and asked QA to review the thread and reach out by PM where they feel it might be useful.

(On a related topic, later in the day I'll be posting a sticky thread with instructions on filing a bug report directly.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")