Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Worley Labs

Octane isn't even that fast, to be honest. I did some tests where I rendered in modo on the CPU and Octane on the GPU. Admittedly, my Quadro 2000M isn't a super-fast GPU, and if the same test was run with a top-of-the-line video card results would be quite different, but... the potential performance of a Quadro 2000M far exceeds that of a quad-core i7. While producing effectively the same results, modo in full brute force mode outperformed Octane by an appreciable margin. I'm quite certain that Lightwave would have done the same. And keep in mind that I'd intentionally crippled modo by turning off all irradiance caching and such. GPU rendering might be the future, but that's exactly it: it's simply not there yet. And it's not just about speed, either. Good luck with programmable shaders in an unbiased renderer...
    Are my spline guides showing?

captain i strongly disagree that. Quadro2000M is not an Octane GPU, it supports it yes but its architecture is wayyyy old compare to newer generations. . Get 480 GTX, 460 GTX and we can discuss again

Also you should completely avoid any Nvidia Mobile GTX series. Because they lack of shaders which octane uses in GPU.

By the way after reading Pavlov's comment RonB opened a thread about Lightwave plugin for Octane and this is what Goldorak (from developer team) said

"It's on the road map, however it depends on a 3rd party developer successfully creating this plug-in. LW users are very important to us, and it is a priority at OTOY to get this done as soon as possible. We'll keep you posted."

So we are trying to learn is there someone working on the plugin from our community.

By the way pavlov, I have checked Maxwell, yes it does look fantastic but i am too much spoiled power of GPU, waiting for render farms etc. very hard after you received such power from a single GPU. So hopefully Octane feels Lightwave soon

beside anything, there's realy, really NO way we can compare Octane and Maxwell in terms of productivity. One is an early tool, the other is one of the most complete and advanced rendering system on the market.

Paolo

Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    captain i strongly disagree that. Quadro2000M is not an Octane GPU, it supports it yes but its architecture is wayyyy old compare to newer generations. . Get 480 GTX, 460 GTX and we can discuss again
    Arion supports both CPUs and GPUs. I've tried that, and the GPU is significantly faster than the CPU. The difference isn't as enormous as it is with, say, a Geforce 580 or whatever, but there is a discernible difference. And keep in mind that the quad-core i7 in my laptop isn't as fast as a 4.5 GHz hex-core i7, either.

My point is that Octane and similar projects are hamstringing their performance by using the slowest method of rendering imaginable. The performance you can achieve with more heavily optimized code and fast algorithms on slower hardware is greater than the performance you can achieve with slower algorithms on faster hardware.

If you want to see something really funny, try comparing Octane with Kray or VRay on a complex interior. And neither Kray nor VRay are particularly fast at ray tracing. They're just really clever and good at not ray tracing. Octane is pretty fast for a path tracer, but path tracing is really fricking slow.
    Last edited by Captain Obvious; 07-16-2012 at 07:34 AM.

from tests i've seen Octane is still quite a bit faster than Vray... considering that is...

the change basically started with the new high-end graphics cards...

posted the example links in the Vray thread, somewhere...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    from tests i've seen Octane is still quite a bit faster than Vray... considering that is...
    Product shots? Sure. Exteriors? Probably sometimes at least. But high-res interiors? No, not by a long shot. Basically, the more complex the lighting is, the more you can stand to gain by using biased methods.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Arion supports both CPUs and GPUs.
    Ahh... Arion was the engine! Not Maxwell...
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Product shots? Sure. Exteriors? Probably sometimes at least. But high-res interiors? No, not by a long shot. Basically, the more complex the lighting is, the more you can stand to gain by using biased methods.
    i've posted comments on Octane vs Vray in other threads, i'll just leave it at that... yep it has lacks.

the best thing is for each one to check for themselves...

Octane vs Vray RT btw...
    http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtop...dertime#p78895 (login required)
    Octane 64min VrayRT 94min
    best render quality > Octane
    resolution > 1500x1200

but also read > http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtop...p=99298#p99298
     
    Last edited by erikals; 07-16-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    Octane vs Vray RT btw...
    http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtop...dertime#p78895 (login required)
    Octane 64min VrayRT 94min
    best render quality > Octane
    resolution > 1500x1200
    How long does it take in VRay non-RT with light and irradiance caching?

not sure, just basing this on other peoples' Octane vs Vray tests...

Vray is probably the way to go overall, but if you lack cash Octane can be a great alternative, and sometimes even better...

ok what was the topic yes Worley's GPU renderer -

speaking of: FPrime works fine for me in the newest 11 release. It doesn't support the same things it didn't support in 10, but I just rendered a basic layered surfaced scene with Grit Node as well. Works fine.

Seems to be for stills gpu render is good enough and for one pass renders octane has some very nice animations like that killerbean animation that looked amazing. Too bad octane is sold. But cycles for blender is showing promise.

I think worley should release a gpu renderer. With his experience with fprime he would make it better than all the current ones. But not abandon fprime. Keep it updated since its still pretty powerful.

i dont see why are we talking about what worley should do.. apparently he is not so interested into lw anymore. last update regarding anything was ?!?!? how much years ago?

instead talking about worley and fprime.. you should put focus on kray and kray 3 release... it should be loaded with some serious stuff making fprime kind of funny(already does with v2 ) compared to.
    Last edited by mav3rick; 07-20-2012 at 05:38 PM.
    new web page up www.null.hr

Quote Originally Posted by mav3rick View Post
    i dont see why are we talking about what worley should do.. apparently he is not so interested into lw anymore. last update regarding anything was ?!?!? how much years ago?

instead talking about worley and fprime.. you should put focus on kray and kray 3 release... it should be loaded with some serious stuff making fprime kind of funny(already does with v2 ) compared to.
    I agree...

That said.. the latest "update" from Worley was from a user who mentioned that Worley Labs are working on LW-plugins, but "much cooler stuff"... If FPrime and Sasquatch isn't that cool, then I guess we have to wait and see what it is...
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast