Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Worley Labs

The Brute force MC is much, much faster. Well with one bounce and 100 rays anyway. Still takes quite bit of experimentation for deformed animation though when compared to Fprime.
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 04-28-2012 at 02:18 PM.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    It's not any better than Lightwave's brute force GI (monte carlo mode without interpolation). LW can be set up to be just as brute force as FPrime, so that's not necessarily an issue.
    Correct... however... I would argue that FPrime is faster and cleaner when comparing LW native MC without Interpolation with FPrime.

If Mark could revisit LWs non-interpolated MC-algorithms and optimize the hell out of them, LW native would become more attractive to use in situations where brute force is needed.

Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwestmas View Post
    I've just started noticing this as well. That the Brute force MC is much, much faster. Well with one bounce and 100 rays anyway. Still takes quite bit of experimentation for deformed animation though when compared to Fprime.
    Does it?

I've used MC bruteforce without problems, though, I tend to fire around 10 rays, and let AS take care of the cleanup. As far as flickering goes; it is non-existent (but at the price of rendertime compared to interpolated modes, of course).

Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    Does it?

I've used MC bruteforce without problems, though, I tend to fire around 10 rays, and let AS take care of the cleanup. As far as flickering goes; it is non-existent (but at the price of rendertime compared to interpolated modes, of course).

That's great to hear, thanks.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Newbie Member
    Um. You can 2D zoom in modo's preview. Not sure if you knew that. :-)
    Well I'll be damned!! Shift + scroll wheel.... Wow, learn something new every day!

I always avoided going near the scroll wheel in the camera view port for fear of moving the camera. That's something I really dislike about Modo's UI.

I still think Fprime's zoom and pan is easier and more intuitive, but I totally agree with you about development having stalled for years. I've run into a particularly nasty bug where if you let it render long enough, it'll *always* crash at some point. It happens on numerous scenes, and has happened across several different versions of LW, across several versions of Windows on several completely different systems, so I'm fairly confidant it's a bug in Fprime itself. I've e-mailed Worley about it, but the answer was just "Fprime has been tested thoroughly over many years and has proven to be stable".

Registered User DigitalSorcery8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris3D View Post
    I've run into a particularly nasty bug where if you let it render long enough, it'll *always* crash at some point. It happens on numerous scenes, and has happened across several different versions of LW, across several versions of Windows on several completely different systems, so I'm fairly confidant it's a bug in Fprime itself. I've e-mailed Worley about it, but the answer was just "Fprime has been tested thoroughly over many years and has proven to be stable".
    I've been using FPrime for years and I've NEVER had a crash with it. Of course I only use it in stills for archviz, but oftentimes I've just let it render overnight just for the heck of it and it's never crashed. I've never seen this bug, but then it may be due to your particular scene setup.

@Chris3D You can use Alt and scrollwheel to zoom in Layout, and Ctrl+wheel to go through the timeline.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Quote Originally Posted by Chris3D View Post
    Well I'll be damned!! Shift + scroll wheel.... Wow, learn something new every day!

I always avoided going near the scroll wheel in the camera view port for fear of moving the camera. That's something I really dislike about Modo's UI.
    You can also lock the camera to prevent accidental movement of it.
    Are my spline guides showing?

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSorcery8 View Post
    oftentimes I've just let it render overnight just for the heck of it and it's never crashed. I've never seen this bug, but then it may be due to your particular scene setup.
    That's really strange, because that's where it shows up for me most of the time - I'll let something render overnight, and in the morning, very often, it's crashed. Actually, stranger still is that Fprime is usually still rendering, but there's a "lightwave has performed an illegal operation" or some error like that. Sometimes I can dismiss the error and nothing is actually crashed, and I can stop the render and save. Most times, though, as soon as I dismiss the error, LW crashes completely. But after the "crash", the processor usage is still pegged at 100% on all cores, so I assume it's still rendering.

Like I said, this has happened across several versions of LightWave, on old or freshly installed Windows, and across several completely different computers, and it's happened when only using LW+Fprime... no other plugins or anything.

It's not a big deal, because it's usually not until several thousand passes, so the render is essentially done. And I've been phasing out the use of Fprime anyway, since there's a lot of new features that aren't supported (or supported well).

I'm really hoping Worley comes out with something to continue the concept though, probably more than any other piece of software, large or small, it totally changed the way I worked.

You can also lock the camera to prevent accidental movement of it.
    Thanks! I'm still overall pretty new to Modo, so there's obviously a lot I have left to learn. Like any application, there's things I like and things I don't, and it has it's strengths and weaknesses. But most of the time, I find myself saying "yea, that's cool, but LW can do that just as well", and then proceed to finish the job in LW.

Can anyone tell me if FPrime works with 11 about as well as it did in 10.1?

Quote Originally Posted by monovich View Post
    Can anyone tell me if FPrime works with 11 about as well as it did in 10.1?
    I don't think it does...does it? On my machine I always get a blank window. If I open the Fprime master plugin it gives me an error that says "This plugin's interface requires a screen resolution of at least -28846 by 26877. Please increase your display resolution. Error # 2238-27823-VP.

My resolution is: Monitor 1: 2560x1440 Monitor 2:1400x1050

Quote Originally Posted by dblincoe View Post
    I don't think it does...does it? On my machine I always get a blank window. If I open the Fprime master plugin it gives me an error that says "This plugin's interface requires a screen resolution of at least -28846 by 26877. Please increase your display resolution. Error # 2238-27823-VP.

My resolution is: Monitor 1: 2560x1440 Monitor 2:1400x1050
    Unfortunately, FPrime hasn't worked with Mac LW since 9.6, because of the Carbon->Cocoa switch -- most of Worley's plugins relied heavily on custom Carbon-dependent UI code, and thus won't work with Cocoa-based LW. In many cases, the plugin still "works", the UI just won't appear, but triggering any routines that attempt to bring up UI may cause subtle app state corruption behind the scenes as well, so be cautious. Worley mentioned working on Cocoa-compatible versions of the plugins at one point, but I haven't heard anything since.

On Windows, FPrime continued to work (up through 10.1, IIRC), but I seem to recall users running into trouble with 11 onwards, which I'm guessing is due to the sampling changes in surfaces'/materials' representations. I haven't tried it myself, however, and strongly suggest checking yourself if you want to know if FPrime still works for LW11 in Windows (Sas apparently doesn't, no clue about other Worley plugins).
    Last edited by jwiede; 05-12-2012 at 01:24 AM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Man. This sucks. I'm still so heavily FPrime dependent in my work. Moving to 11 will be tricky...

Thanks for the info.

I would even be prepared to pay a (small) price, if a LW 11 compatible version appeared. Vpr is good but I miss having a resisable/zoominable window with Fprime.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    I would even be prepared to pay a (small) price, if a LW 11 compatible version appeared. Vpr is good but I miss having a resisable/zoominable window with Fprime.
    and I suppose you could still use that zoom and pan stuff for previewing an F10 to a certain degree.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast