Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Lightwave 11 upgrade price too much?

Is Lightwave 11 upgrade price too much?

The upgrade price from a previous version to LW 9.x was just 395. Now, if I choose to upgrade which I am considering, it has nearly doubled to 695 dollars. If for that price they are going to release some point releases including a significant 11.5, then maybe not so bad. Just being cautious since only a .1 release for 10.

Newtek did need to increase the upgrade price as it remained static for a long time and business costs have gone up over the past years. However, most people budgets are being squeezed and looking to make sure to get best value for money. Or maybe 695 dollars is reasonable and I have just been spoilt before??? Maybe Newtek can carefully think about their pricing before the final release.

I think its fair pricing if you look at this industry as a whole - Adobe / Autodesk / E-On Software / Maxon, etc. They've all done this sort of thing, and for some they continue to do it. And while its on a different monetary scale ($1 - $20 instead of hundreds of dollars), you can see this sort of thing happen on the iOS App Store - while upgrades for any particular app you buy are always free, what people do is to release a "version 2"
    please power off before disconnecting connecting connectors

I was thinking the same, I think this update was coming a bit to fast, there is a big lack of documentation, and as the most of us know Newtek from the past, a new update has nothing to mean if the branding is Newtek!!

BUT, I can say, I have already found my arguments, why the 11 is worth the money. Sure everybody have different needs...

I just figured out how to make a pointcloudpass :-)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmN__vhHpPk

I bought in early each time, and you do reap the benefits for doing so... BUT having said that, I still don't think $695 is too much. If I'm honest, my first job using a new version would pay for the upgrade costs. This couldn't be said if I was using 3ds max at home!

Plus, LW11 is quite a substantial update... a no brainer for me!
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

borkalork BORKALORK! biliousfrog's Avatar
    I think it's a bit much but, as has been pointed out, it's still cheaper than if you'd bought LW10 then LW11 upgrade.

I don't think its too much for commercial work. Perhaps hobbyists would disagree.

ShortsightedSithAssassin
    I'm a hobbyist, but this release (assuming it delivers everything promised) goes some way to removing the need for C4D and modo for things like dynamics. The instancing is great and I like the way they're continuing to streamline the app. Keep going on that path and I'll be happy...

It's pricey, but look at the upgrades elsewhere. Autodesk once asked nearly as much money for a Mudbox upgrade as it cost for a full seat of ZBrush. I no longer use Mudbox.

I am a long-time LW user, through thick and thin, and I'm happy to support development if it continues on this path.
    Dogs can save your life, but cats will watch you die and then eat you.

CATS: They can't be trusted

Quote Originally Posted by juice View Post
    ...there is a big lack of documentation
    Just to touch on this point, it's my impression that improved documentation is one of the focal points of 11 - it just might not be visible yet at the pre-release stage.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

No.
    As a paid app, the upgrade costs for those who have stuck around makes having stuck around worth it.
    For those who haven't and the cost is higher, I would say it's purely a question of subjectivity; ya know, like a fart or an opinion: everyone has one and you generally think yours is better than another's.

I think your answer for you is the best you will get.

ShortsightedSithAssassin
    Put it this way: to add dynamics to modo costs $199 (and recoil is crap), to add fracturing to C4D costs $55 (Nitroblast), to add instancing to LW costs $299 (with HD Instance), to add flocking you'd need to find an old copy of Dynamic Realities' Particle Storm (which coast about $500 and never worked cos I was one of the suckers that bought it). Now I'm already down over $1,000 and that's not counting the other stuff - so if you can get LW 11 at the cheap upgrade price, I'd say it was pretty decent value!
    Dogs can save your life, but cats will watch you die and then eat you.

CATS: They can't be trusted

3Dgraficly challenged
    In the current economy money is not a luxury and budgeting is tight.

Each person I think needs to decide what is a risky ROI (Return on Investment) and ones that are not. I see investment in LW 10 and 11 as bringing tools to LW that were missing and would not appear otherwise.

Other programs on the average I have found to be more costly to remain current with these programs. Adobe, Cinema 4D, SoftImage (Autodesk prodects in general) have had releases almost every 12-18 months. LW has had 2 were others have had 3-4 to 4 or more.

There are the outliers like Z Brush 4 and 3 D Coat. But LW continues to cost less to keep up than others and I am more hopeful with LW 11 video The features shown in the video are looking really kewl to start using now and not in some future release.

Great job to Rob, Chuck and New Tek team.

aj

For some perspective, there are people who spend $800 a month for a parking space in New York.

That's almost $10,000 a year...for a parking space.

How reasonable does a software upgrade seem now?

Seriously, if you are making money with LW it isn't too much. If you are just playing with it at home for a hobby, well, that can be a grey area. People spend more than that a year for hobbies like golf or fishing. It just comes down to how much disposable income you have and can you afford to treat yourself or not.

You know, that's what will be in the future. Release of new version in January, a 'dot' release in summer, then a new version in January.

This process is slow. It takes time for things to work out. But, I have faith that Rob, Jamie and the rest of the crew will not just throw a new thing or plugin into the mix. Everything has a workflow. That is so huge!

While my pocket book is hurting from the concept, I will be saving my pennies for LW 12...
    Will Silver
    Animator
    digital TRiP
    "Frak'em all! I USE LIGHTWAVE!"

I wouldn't mind seeing the price of LightWave go up eventually, but I think its pretty bad timing now. Right off the heels of the CORE debacle and also at a time when updates are coming faster and with less features and structural changes then previous updates. I think $100 increase for LW11 would have been reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by LW_Will View Post
    You know, that's what will be in the future. Release of new version in January, a 'dot' release in summer, then a new version in January.
    I just hope that an annual influx of cash to the company means they can keep enough developers on staff to continue the rate of progression/improvement. Which would in turn mean those annual releases are substantial enough to warrant the expense.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast