Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Amleto Network Renderer

Quote Originally Posted by inkpen3d View Post
    Go back to Page 13 of this thread and read the posts #194 - #201 starting from near the bottom of the page. I think you'll find your answer there - i.e. that you need to use UNC paths.

Also, have a look here: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....t-for-me/page4
    Actually it is not that simple. I use the same path for main output and compositing buffer output. The main output is transferred fine but the compositing buffer output is left in the cache. I am testing on a single machine, so there should not be any issue with paths name/convention...

I'm using Amleto 3.3/Lightwave 11.6.1, and it just won't render... Just spent a couple of hours trying to figure out, and it's not copied anything in the LW11-64\Program subfolder in the scratch folder. Could anybody give me a hand? Trying to run on a server and 2 render nodes. There's nothing in this folder in any of the render nodes. If I run the client on the same machine as the server, I get the same problem.

All machines are Windows 7. The content is transferred OK, and the command go across, just the programs aren't there. I tried everything from c:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.6.1\bin but then I get an error "Can't open message table".

Thanks
    Last edited by samscudder; 02-20-2014 at 07:50 PM.

Just noticed, you mention Amleto 3.3, make sure that you have the latest build, my About says 3.3.2.23543. I have responded in this thread and others, these kind of problems aren't with Amleto, but the User and configuration. If you, like many of us, have (had) multiple versions of Lightwave along the way, and particularly if any(some) of installs, didn't come after a full uninstall, and a cleaning out of the configs, "stuff" can hang around and cause problems. For starters, you are on a Windows7 platform (I have Win7 64) there is a folder: C:\Users\UserName\.NewTek\LightWave\11.6.1. There also will be a folder:C:\Users\UserName\.NewTek\LightWave\11.0, why, who knows, if I delete it it gets created again?
    First do a clean uninstall of Amleto, delete any folders associated locally and remotely, including the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Amleto. Do a search on any system for *.aml, these are stubs left over from prior render runs, that may confuse the issue.
    Now, open the file LW11-64.cfg and "snoop" around to make sure that all references are to C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.6.1\bin for items like CommandDirectory C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.6.1\bin. With the message, "Can't open message table" I bet there is a reference in the LW11-64.cfg file to MessageTable with some other version as the placeholder. There might be others, so do a search, I use NotePad++ for all script work, OpenSource and reliable. Crucial, notice if there are any references to other folder, past, present, etc. in the CFG file.
    This file is written automatically by Lightwave so changing them here won't stop Lightwave from over-writing them again with the incorrect data, which was what was going on in my case. If you find any anomalous references, you will need to go deeper, as I did, to get it all to work.
    If you need to go deeper, then use the Start>Run prompt to bring up an instance of regedit.exe.
    If you have never been in here, be aware of risks, have a backup of your program drive. I have been fortunate, but careful, having done cleanup like this across the years. Choose Edit>Find, and enter Lightwave and FindNext. See what comes up that doesn't correspond to your expectations of \LightWave\11.6.1. I had a somewhat random entry, who knows your history?? Correct any anomalies, unless you have multiple versions, just make sure that there isn't something for \LightWave\11.6 or \LightWave\11.5 as examples. Press F3 to find the next occurance, until the end. Save the modified file, then ReBoot to force Windows to use the new Registry file. It should all come up clean, but I am not responsible for any of these actions, however confident I sound, ... When it comes to computers, "stuff happens." ;>)
    Now start up Layout, "snoop" around, then close it so that it writes the CFG files, now go and check the LW11-64.cfg file and confirm that all of the references are now correct.
    Now, re-install Amleto, open the Server and confirm that Tools>Options has the correct Configuration of C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.6.1 after all of the clean up. Open a Client, preferrably on the same station, watch as it downloads all of the necessary files. You should now be able to give it a job successfully.
    Even though this sounds like a lot of rigmarole, it is sometimes needed. I had similar problems with ButterFlyNet render manager also at the same time with a different software problem, and both times, it was the "loose screw between the chair and keyboard" and not the programs involved. Good luck with the efforts, let us know.
    Paul
    Last edited by paulhart; 02-20-2014 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Clarification.
    An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind... Gandhi/MLKing
    Greater consciousness is worth the effort. Be aware.... so sayest the Animated Fool ~ HARTWORKS www.hartworks.net

Quote Originally Posted by paulhart View Post
    Press F3 to find the next occurance, until the end. Save the modified file, then ReBoot to force Windows to use the new Registry file. It should all come up clean, but I am not responsible for any of these actions, however confident I sound, ... When it comes to computers, "stuff happens." ;>)
    What do you mean "Save the modified file"? Regedit doesn't have a save function, whatever you do is committed right away. At best you can export the registry, and then import it if you screw up something. Still, it shouldn't get to the point of messing with the registry, uninstalling Lightwave and delete every single instance of Newtek or Lightwave from the hard drive should be more than enough.

Amleto is working perfect in my case, and I had some problems at the beginning but they are fixed in the current version. I'm running a home made farm of five computers, three of which are pretty old, one of them is even a laptop that is connected by wireless because the router only has four LAN ports, and all five have been running since yesterday. When I had to use one of the machines I selected it, right clicked to pause it, then after I was done I chose resume and it started rendering again. Excellent program.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebasvideo View Post
    What do you mean "Save the modified file"? Regedit doesn't have a save function, whatever you do is committed right away. At best you can export the registry, and then import it if you screw up something. Still, it shouldn't get to the point of messing with the registry, uninstalling Lightwave and delete every single instance of Newtek or Lightwave from the hard drive should be more than enough.
    .... Excellent program.
    Technically correct, there is no "Save function " in the Registry Editor. But I did have to Reboot to get it to correctly read everything. I am just telling what it took to clean up my old instances. If you got it working, fine, good for you. I did not say anything about uninstalling Lightwave or Deleting. I just know that sometimes I have uninstalled Lightwave as I tested beta versions, etc., and sometimes over wrote it, but I had a reference in my Registry to a version of Lightwave that was no longer on my system, yet the LW11-64.cfg had references to it, because it read the value in the Registry, and that is why I was getting the "Error Message Table" etc. You are right again, you shouldn't have to "mess with the registry," again I am just explaining what it took for my system, if it helps someone else great, if it doesn't, I'll go herd cats somewhere else....
    Greater consciousness is worth the effort. Be aware.... so sayest the Animated Fool ~ HARTWORKS www.hartworks.net

Right, you do have to reboot, I was just confused because you said save the document. And you don't need to go herd cats, your experience is very valuable to someone who might still be trying to make Amleto work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebasvideo View Post
    What do you mean "Save the modified file"? Regedit doesn't have a save function,
    Actually, it does. You export the whole file or discreet keys.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by spherical View Post
    Actually, it does. You export the whole file or discreet keys.
    Which is what I said, you can export, but it's not saving the document over itself, the registry file gets saved as soon as you make the change, and needs a reboot to apply the change.

Now that I go back and re-read, you did say that later. I'll go herd cats...
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by paulhart View Post
    Just noticed, you mention Amleto 3.3, make sure that you have the latest build, my About says 3.3.2.23543.
    I unistalled Amleto from the server, and downloaded version 3.3 from Vritualcoder. I ran the AmletoServerServiceSetup.msi and got version 3.3.0.25384, so I uninstalled that a tried AmletoSetup.msi, and got the choice of installing server and/or client, and it showed the same version.

Where does one download 3.3.3?

UPDATE -- Before I reinstalled version 3.3, I cleared out my .NewTek folder because I'd installed 11.6.2 beta. I then ran Lightwave, checked the LW11-64.CFG was pointing to the correct directories (it was). I then reinstalled 3.3.0.23543. I loaded a job and fired up one of the clients. It downloaded about a minute of files (including the programs! - started getting excited here), and started rendering. So something must have been screwed up in the .NewTek folder. During the render, I started up another client, it downloaded everything too, and worked.

Problem gone away!

BTW... Modeler created a NewTek\LightWave\11.0 folder. Layout creates a NewTek\LightWave\11.6.2

Thanks
    Last edited by samscudder; 02-26-2014 at 05:05 AM.

I opened the Server, checked my version, it is 3.3.2.23543, but, much like you discovered, it is more of a problem solving by the "loose nut between the chair and the keyboard." Sounds like your problem is solved. Checking the LW11-64.CFG file to see where it is pointing is very helpful, to direct my search through the folders or, in my case, through the regedit.exe to clear out some old and extraneous references.
    Paul

Paul, does 3.3.2.23543 have any new features? I have 3.3.1.18226 installed, and it's working perfectly, so I wouldn't update it unless it has anything new I really need. Setting defaults for number of slices would be nice, I would update it for that.

Just wanted to mention again how great this render manager is. I put together a small render farm of five machines I already had, three of which are pretty old and a small fraction of the processing speed of today's CPUs, but when put all together they definitely help. Amleto is a rock, after Steve fixed it to work with 11.6.1 it doesn't have a glitch, and setting it up on new machines is a snap, you just start the client, it takes a few seconds to copy the files and it's as simple as that. At the most you have to click OK to the firewall dialog to grant it access.

In all the different projects I rendered using it it hasn't crashed at all, even on heavy projects that would take hours to render, and one of these machines is an old laptop on wi-fi. Even better, it really squeezes as much processing power as you have by setting the render block default to 1, so each machine renders one frame at a time.

This program makes rendering from Lightwave a breeze, kudos to Alain Bretrand for developing it and to Steve Moody for keeping it alive.

Literally had this up and running on my home PC's in minutes!!! Saved my life for a project with spiralling render times! (Used it at work, but have major issues with BlueTooth drivers, and lack of IT control)

Thanks Steven... and PaulHart for reminding me to donate... just done it!
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Hi !
    Any news on the "Just read the files over the network" option ?

I've just been setting up a Amleto Client on a windows 7 64 bit machine, and I'm getting the following LWSN error when I try to render.

"PhysXLoader64.dll is missing off of your computer..."

The server is on a Windows 8 64 bit machine.

Any ideas why I should be getting this?

Cheers
    Andy Webb

Intel core i7-3820 3.60GHz
    Asus P9X79 Deluxe motherboard
    GeForce GTX 660
    32 Gb RAM
    Windows 10

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast