Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightwave eleven

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Easy, software development is so good/interesting and full of new features with each new update that they get "enough" NEW users which pay full price so they don't need to charge upgrades that often .
    Not just that but also uniqueness. Not so much these days, but still those updates also go along with ensuring that is still the case on many points.
    LW is not alone and it's uniqueness was surpassed. CORE had uniqueness, even if bad too , no?

Quote Originally Posted by cgisoul View Post
    The Age stuff and college
    I agree with you. Still, when you join a studio, you use what they use, no? Even if you have students making their own studio, I think the market drives the schools. (Let's not mention colleges, which are driven for God know what...)
    Probably the only thing holding LW are the studios that still use it, hence these updates being somewhat driven to scene construction, preview and render output. I wonder what such studios use to model, animate, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cagey5 View Post
    Brilliant!
    Last edited by probiner; 11-12-2011 at 09:04 PM.

re studio tools...i'd like something like this please!
    [3dsmax script example]

camera controller from a xbox 360 pad.

http://youtu.be/Z3ACnzKGQNU
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by probiner View Post
    I wonder what such studios use to model, animate, etc.
    We mainly use Modeler and sometimes Maya. I'll use Modo (personal license) for building more complicated stuff but typically fall back to Modeler once the object is being used in production (matter of convenience, especially with the new 'auto update' feature.)

I also like to use 3D Coat (again, personal license) but what I build in there is typically finished in Modeler.

This isn't to say I don't think Modeler could stand a lot improvements and modernization; only that it's still a very useful tool for us.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    We mainly use Modeler and sometimes Maya. I'll use Modo (personal license) for building more complicated stuff but typically fall back to Modeler once the object is being used in production (matter of convenience, especially with the new 'auto update' feature.)

I also like to use 3D Coat (again, personal license) but what I build in there is typically finished in Modeler.

This isn't to say I don't think Modeler could stand a lot improvements and modernization; only that it's still a very useful tool for us.

G.
    Pretty much same boat here. Modeler is very comfortable. Has tons of issues, but the basic way it functions really reasonates with me. I only occasionally open modo for UV mapping and a lot of times I get better UV's from Modeler with PLG tools. I liked the performance and some of thoughts NT had in the later Core releases, so I think we will eventually get the Modeler we all want.

Newbie Member
    Look all I am saying is that when I called in and talked to sales prior to my purchase, I was reassured that the 2D component would in fact be part of LW 10 series, so I bought in knowing sales would not lie and at this point they did, I need the 2D where it will make my animation strip sheets from an animated object along with rendering out the scene to a png or animated bmp, just put those in 10.2 and call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    when does it take that leap from very good and decent valuable software to wow factor??

Michael
    Hehe, back then, when I saw the first preview of LW 6, I was like "OMG!!!"
    UV tools, morph mixer, OpenGL, new moedeler tools, radiosity, Viper...I mean...hellooooo ? THAT was a brilliant update and more than worth the new version number, I purchased it as soon as it was released. I dunno what NT must do to merit such a great leap ahead again, but they should do it.
    Bye,
    Emmanuel

----------------
    For Hire
    Portfolio
    Graveyard Dogs Indie game dev blog, visit and vote for the best RPG of all time !

Quote Originally Posted by zumwalt View Post
    I was reassured that the 2D component would in fact be part of LW 10 series ....
    I am by no means a Lw heavyweight, but I have some difficulty understanding what you're talking about. What "2D component" is missing from LW?

Quote Originally Posted by zumwalt View Post
    I need the 2D where it will make my animation strip sheets from an animated object along with rendering out the scene to a png or animated bmp, just put those in 10.2 and call it a day.
    As to the latter point, you can certainly render out anything you create as a PNG (or other file type) sequence, in pretty much any version of LW. On the first point, I'm not sure what you mean by "animation strip sheets". Are you talking about some sort of contact sheet, or storyboard, or something else?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Yeah, I could swear the ability to save anim strips (sprite sheets) was added to LW in 9.x. or 10.x ! Its in there ! AFAIK You can specify columns/rows etc.
    Bye,
    Emmanuel

----------------
    For Hire
    Portfolio
    Graveyard Dogs Indie game dev blog, visit and vote for the best RPG of all time !

Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel View Post
    I dunno what NT must do to merit such a great leap ahead again, but they should do it.
    The jump from 9.6 to 10, and later 10.1 didn't impress everyone equally. Some felt it justified an integer upgrade, others didn't. OK, I get that, I don't know how anyone can think there isn't enough brand new ability in 11 to make the same claim though. This is an awesome upgrade.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    This is an awesome upgrade.
    It really is. Relative to Autodesk upgrades, the Lightwave upgrades are incredibly cost effective. Plus, Lightwave includes a native interactive renderer that let's you preview everything in realtime. There is just no comparison in terms of bang for the buck. The only software that comes close IMO is Modo, which I happily use alongside Lightwave and which is presently far from a complete solution.

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I don't know how anyone can think there isn't enough brand new ability in 11 to make the same claim though. This is an awesome upgrade.
    I think it is because they are seeing the features in 11 that were promised in CORE and some are confusing that with being promised in 10. Others see what they paid for in CORE but didn't get and now think they should get it for free in LW.

There seems an inability to connect that CORE is dead. The refund/discount process was the apology. Spill your tears and move on...but it's done. Over.

But, the technology and research is being ported over into LW. This is a new deal.

Some others, well, they just don't like the idea of spending twice in one year for upgrades. I feel for some people and hope they can strike a deal with CS. But for people who paid for the upgrade to 10 in January and got to use VPR, and saw benefit from the Color Space workflow that's what they paid for!

LW10 was an odd release. It had some cool stuff for the pro's with the sterescopic cameras. The color space stuff was interesting but I personally didn't have a use for it. VPR was the only big deal for me because I didn't already have FPrime for my seat that I was upgrading. That and the price guarantee for the next five versions.

I think many people stuck with 10 instead of refunds because of the price guarantee and VPR. But now they are having different thoughts. They are taking a short term view of the purchase plan instead of a long view. Saying they should have skipped 10 and bought 11 and saved money. Maybe, but when they go to buy 12 they would have spent more money because they wouldn't have the savings. They would have paid full price for 11 and 12. (Probably around $200 more than people locked in with 10, 11, and 12.) And they seem to take VPR and color space for granted not giving a thought to the utility that it provided in the year they had it. It is easy to take for granted the things we have, it seems to be human nature.

I swear it's almost like Newtek needs to find a sweet spot in a major release every other year so people don't feel like they are shelling out cash on a regular basis or waiting forever for updates.

Quote Originally Posted by probiner View Post
    It really does make me sad when I see some of myself in that...but it is funny never the less!.
    Mac OS 10.10.5 Yosemite, 2.66 GHz Core 2 duo, 4 GB RAM,ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

Thanks Oliver.
    Lino Grandi

3D Artist at OTOY

Good day Lino!

Good to see you! Is there a complete feature list of 11??

I personally am hoping for improved Open Gl performance as well as (hopefully) instancing. I do appreciate the developments in 10 but can understand the issues some were having with it though. We still animate heavily in LW but now do most of our stills in Modo. LW and Modo compliment each other very well and support each others weaknesses nicely. We are excited by the development of both apps and look forward to upgrading to both as well. Under the circumstances the way the two work together they present a great example of symbiosis. Thanks and looking forward to 11 ...

Ooops sorry Lino, never mind, I found it! Yes! native Instancing very cool! I really like Modo's instancing system so it will be really nice to see how it stacks up. I also like the way the liner workflow is developing in LW. The new dynamics system looks promising as well. I also like the adherence to the LW look and feel but with newer capabilities. Go Z after having had GoZ for sometime I can tell you when it works, it's nice. The print rez utility is a nice add on and believe me if it works as advertised will really please a lot fo folks... it's the little things I suppose.

The enhancements in Modeler should be welcome to those who model in LW.... Till we see the completed Modeller, modelling will be done in Modo.

Keep up the great work guys!

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast