Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightwave eleven

Quote Originally Posted by kadri View Post
    I am no programmer but to me it looks like the developers thought that they can evolve Layout but had to write modeler from the ground. So we see new things added to layout but have to wait for a brand new modeler(in layout or so) to be seen. Not sure , but given the time we didn't see anything new , i think that it will in v. 12 probably. Of course pure speculation but i am more layout centric and have not a problem with this . But new things wouldn't hurt of course.
    thats what i think too. they upgrade layout with core tech and as soon as they are ready they will start to rebuild modeler inside layout with core tech.

so the next big step will be a unified app. i dont like it but very well understand that parametric and nodal modeling with stack/history has to wait until LW is unified.
    my website: www.andymeyer.ch
    Supermicro 7047A-T/X9DAi: dual E5-2687 8C/16T @3.1ghz | 64GB Ram | nVidia GTX680-4gb (301.42) | Win7 64 Bit (SP1) |
    display 30"+30"+22" | 13 rendernodes, 54 cores

Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel View Post
    ?..Bullet physics is actually also a free tool, that NT implemented to charge money, which also is kinda shady...
    Bullet is a set of libraries. NewTek still has to write the code to implement functionality in LightWave.
    << Nothing is true, everything is permitted >>

DaVinci Resolve, Fusion, Generation, LightWave, ChronoSculpt, NevronMotion, REDcine-X Pro,
    Nuendo, messiahStudio Pro 5, VT[4] v4.6, SpeedEDIT 2...

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Regardless of these things, you (and I, and everyone else here) is presented with a choice. It's not a complicated one, just two options: upgrade, or don't upgrade. No-one is forcing anyone to take either course. If you don't see sufficient value in the upgrade, you know what to do. If you're not sure, you can wait a little while, then try the free trial version before deciding. (If anyone has some situation that they think calls for special consideration, they can approach CS to discuss its merits.) There are no other options on the table, and endless debates are just a waste of pixels.
    So NT can obviously close down the forums, as a debate about NT's marketing and product policies are clearly useless, fruitless, and, as You say, "a waste of pixels".
    Bye,
    Emmanuel

----------------
    For Hire
    Portfolio
    Graveyard Dogs Indie game dev blog, visit and vote for the best RPG of all time !

Quote Originally Posted by Celshader View Post
    I'd like to step in here and say that despite a few pipeline quirks, FiberFX in LightWave 10.1 is working quite well for us on TERRA NOVA. We've thrown FiberFX on pterasaurs, pteranodons, ovosaurs, Slashers, and Nykoraptors so far, and it always looks great.
    Wow, that looks real good ! I love how the hair reacts to the lighting !
    Bye,
    Emmanuel

----------------
    For Hire
    Portfolio
    Graveyard Dogs Indie game dev blog, visit and vote for the best RPG of all time !

Erm, Pixologic anyone ? So far I have been nothing less than impressed, look at the cool plugins at their site You can download, the new additional brushes, the workflow enhancements, its no wonder everybody just is excited when Pixo announce a new release.
    Ok fair example, but any other one I can think of you're either paying for upgrades or for subscriptions.

I actually have no clue how Pixologic stay in business at all with the amount of free updates and free full-point releases they do.

But any other is paid for (apart from Blender, which is part funded), and I'd have no problem paying for LW11
    BRACE MEDIA
    Ensuring every picture tells your story.

New Brace Media website

Quote Originally Posted by samartin View Post
    I am well confused, my HardCORE membership halted on the 9th Nov '11, is this due to the pre-release of LW11? As a result an upgrade is now going to cost $495, I feel somewhat cheated, bullet physics should have been in '10!
    Many of us were disappointed 6 months to a year ago.

Anyway, your upgrade price is locked in for the next 5 upgrades according to when you bought into LW core HC. If the price that you get after logging into the store is wrong in your mind, contact [email protected]. Plus you were supposed to login to the store using the new user and pass code NT emailed you.
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 11-12-2011 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dommo View Post
    I actually have no clue how Pixologic stay in business at all with the amount of free updates and free full-point releases they do.
    Easy, software development is so good/interesting and full of new features with each new update that they get "enough" NEW users which pay full price so they don't need to charge upgrades that often .
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Easy, software development is so good/interesting and full of new features with each new update that they get "enough" NEW users which pay full price so they don't need to charge upgrades that often .
    Indeed that seem true, so whats the difference between the pixologic team and the newtek team, the amount of staff working or skills of programmers or directional management of the product?

The pace of how fast and often pixologic produces new versions and new innovative tools seems to exceed that of what Newtek can handle today, I hope Newtek very soon can cross that barrier of slowness that seem to have been sitting on their shoulders for development in my point of view.

I guess you could in fairness mention all about the new direction and rewriting in lightwave as a little defense speech, but that doesn´t taste good anyway in a customers way of looking at the product and company when decisions are made and how things are reviewed.

Lightwave 11 looks nice and is shaping up I guess, but a little behind schedule since most of us expected this and even modeling and history stacks wich is still missing in core or lightwave 10 versions, so Newtek is a little behind schedule and is lacking a little of innovative, groundbreaking stuff.

when does it take that leap from very good and decent valuable software to wow factor??

Michael

Pixo's support and user friendly videos have a lot to do with their success with or without the community support. Over here it seems to be the opposite.

So NT can obviously close down the forums, as a debate about NT's marketing and product policies are clearly useless, fruitless, and, as You say, "a waste of pixels".
    There are plenty of things to discuss constructively, and pros and cons about many aspects of different matters. I simply do not find your argument to be very well founded in reason. You can talk about it 'til the cows come home, but it doesn't change the fact that your contention essentially states 'my software should be free until it's on a par with everyone else's feature list'. Good luck with that. This is not a reasonable expectation, and it stands zero chance of being adopted.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    I propose an advertisement of a Fender amplifier knob with the number 11 on it and the pitch line being "Lightwave, Now it goes to 11."

Please, please. please.
    Along the lines of advertising, why doesn't NewTek advertise during Terra Nova, or any other of the shows that feature LightWave work? That would be a sure way of getting the attention of new users.
    Mac OS 10.10.5 Yosemite, 2.66 GHz Core 2 duo, 4 GB RAM,ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DBMiller View Post
    Along the lines of advertising, why doesn't NewTek advertise during Terra Nova, or any other of the shows that feature LightWave work? That would be a sure way of getting the attention of new users.
    National spots during prime time are rediculously expencive. To your point, I don't know of a single graphics program that advertises on TV. To be honest, I don't know why Microsoft bothers spending money on advertising. Are they afraid PC users will decide to all switch to Linux or BeOS? And Intel? What revenue is generated by those commercials? Do they think those commercials have any impact on which computers consumers purchase? Seems pointless to me.

Not that it directly promotes LW but DAVESchool does run spots on SciFi. Which indirectly promotes LW by teaching it to their students.

Quote Originally Posted by Gar View Post
    Wait a minute....i just bought a upgrade to version 10.1...now only 3 months later they are offering version 11 for more money than my upgrade only 3 months ago..comeon...

Nice features or not, these feature were supposed to be in the last upgrade.

Now either this is a cheap upgrade or free for those of us that just bought our upgrades or its time to go elsewhere...i have used lightwave since the amiga days, and throughout NEWTEKS CORE issues have stayed with them .

Time to RETHINK your upgrade options...very dissapointed.

gar
    Me too. My new usb dongle just arrived from newtek a couple of weeks ago for 10.1
    Last edited by JEFFilm; 11-12-2011 at 02:38 PM.

a new update. hmm. I have skipped 10 .. i can jump in this one

- modeler needs JUST speed update LWCAD's victor does the rest. (when i move something other items can act as they do in Layout -turning into box state) -... So if 11 speedy enough i am sold there

- Bullet looks really cool and instancing lovely. Native instancing finally...

- If you guys deliver fully working UNITY export .... we are all set for a year

Ok what now ? Hmm character animation anyone? Any plans for Max's Biped-ish workflow?

By the way I am really happy because soon Octane Renderer will be released for Lightwave - there were few Normal issues .. I hope they fixed it in this release. If they did it ...and if we see Octane for Lightwave sky is the limit for all archvizer here.

For users who waited years for Core things can be very frustrating. I understand that.
    I think for an user like me who is under 9.6 should pay the full upgrade price but for 10.1 it should be very less - could be even free.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    I propose an advertisement of a Fender amplifier knob with the number 11 on it and the pitch line being "Lightwave, Now it goes to 11."

Please, please. please.
    As an aside. Anybody that uses the BBC website will have noticed that the volume level for audio/video goes all the way up to 11. How cool is that? I mean it's like cranking it up to 10 but then it goes up to 11
    Forum Tips
    If English is your first language, you should know it's 'losing' and not 'loosing'!

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast