Thread: TriCaster Accessory Advice

TriCaster Accessory Advice

Can anyone offer advice regarding new or used webcams or camcorders and microphones that are a good value. I will be buying three of each for use with a TriCaster Pro.

Thanks,
    John

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    You can't use webcams. Craigslist is the best here in NYC. May not be bad in Boston as well.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Jose,

Thanks for the input. Can you recommend any particular camcorders?

John

I guess it depends on your budget. We used to get some solid SD images out of Canon GL1s, which you can find pretty cheaply now. You'd be limited to composite video, but they're a TON better than any SD handycam or webcam you can find.
    Clark Cambern
    Apex Broadcast
    https://www.facebook.com/apexbroadcast/

John, like anything else in life, you gotta decide what your budget is before shopping or looking for suggestions.
    You can get some really awesome cameras for about $60,000.00 and Mike's for $5,000.00.
    Is that the price range you are looking at?
    Just kidding, partly.
    Now days the lower end cameras have decent looking electronics. Many of them lose quality due to the recording format.
    If you are just feeding the camera's output directly to the TriCaster they hold up pretty well.

A few years ago I wouldn't consider a camera under 35K. Then I bought a couple $5,500 HVS 200's and I'm content with their image.
    A couple months ago I almost choked when a school only gave me a $1,200 budget to buy them two cameras for their TriCaster.
    I purchased two $550 HD cameras and guess what, for their needs I was fairly impressed.

Same with Mikes. 7-8 years ago I paid $5,000 for a Sennhieser wireless lav. Now days I wouldn't pay over $2,000. And I bought wireless mikes for schools for about $200.

Go online to B&H and you can review dozens of cameras and read up on the pros and cons. Then buy local.
    Wish you all the best.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

I agree with Ted, I have been in this business since a small boy, my father sold Broadcast video equipment, and remember the old days with Saticon and Plumbicon tube cameras before Sony came out with there first CCD camera the DXC-3000 around 87'. It is amazing what you can do with inexpensive cameras now a day as long as you seem to have rear controls for the cams and competent operators. We are having great results with the JVC HD-790 cams.

Chris Lines
    Southwest Audio Visual
    Springfield MO
    www.southwestav.com
    www.projectorusa.com