Thread: Audio outputs

Audio outputs

I'm using a TCXD300
    The manual seems to go over this area quickly and I'm still unsure - if I want just the DDR's audio to go out of a certain output how to I route that?
    I have the Aux channel set to DDR+Stills so does that mean that this audio output will go out of Auxiliary output 1 as well as be sent to the master output (Output1)?

We have an internet audience that hears the master output of everything but we want to send the audio of just the DDR's to a church santuary so our local audience can hear the videos that our web audience are also seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielG View Post
    I have the Aux channel set to DDR+Stills so does that mean that this audio output will go out of Auxiliary output 1 as well as be sent to the master output (Output1)?
    Yes. (You might want to confirm by testing, but if memory serves, Stills will be routed to the third and fourth output channels.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Interesting, so can anyone make a list of what goes where by default? And I don't suppose I payed enough to be able to adjust this routing.

Interesting, so can anyone make a list of what goes where by default? And I don't suppose I payed enough to be able to adjust this routing.
    Generally, Aux outputs whatever you select in its Source menu. The only non-obvious aspect of that is the fact that Selecting "Internal" (label may vary by model/version) as source for Aux can make use of the back channels, as mentioned. This is the only instance of routing from front to back channels. (You can pretty much test this by watching the VU meters if you have any lingering questions.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

What are back channels? And I don't know what you mean when you say routing from front to back channels. Please explain

What are back channels?
    Just a sloppy way of referring to channels 3 and 4, sorry.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Steve, I'm still a bit in the dark about this, and it's not clear in the manual.

For audio channels on the front plate Program 1, 2, 3 and 4, what is coming out of them by default, and in what "format". For instance, if I have a stereo video playing in a DDR (and therefor playing in the Master), how do I get that as STEREO sound playback to a pair of monitoring speakers on the studio floor (actually they're flown, but anway...)

In OTHER words, where does MASTER LEFT go to (which jack on the front plate), and where does MASTER RIGHT go to?

Does Channel 1 jack carry a STEREO signal, or would you need channels 1 AND 2 to get that full stereo coverage?

We have them cabled assuming JACK 1 outputs a BALANCED MONO LEFT output, and Jack 2 outputs a BALANCED MONO RIGHT signal, BUT we are getting audio out of ONLY ONE SPEAKER.

If you could clear this up, it would be greatly appreciated!
    OK, think I got that one sorted... my bad!

Next problem....!

I'm using the "Master Outs" to drive two small speakers on the studio floor, to give some sound foldback and so the in-situ audience can hear what's going on on the small stage.

I seem to be getting a delay in the AUDIO, just enough to make speaking a little difficult/confusing (maybe somewhere around the 100-300 millisecond mark).

Before I go and re-route the output of the wireless mics straight to the speakers, do anyone have any tips as to how I can decrease the audio latency inside the TriCaster? Inputs and Outputs are both analogue.

cheers
    Matthew P
    Brisbane, Australia
    Last edited by mpetersen68; 11-07-2011 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mpetersen68 View Post
    I seem to be getting a delay in the AUDIO, just enough to make speaking a little difficult/confusing (maybe somewhere around the 100-300 millisecond mark).
    Audio is delayed in TriCaster, precisely enough to match the video output and provide lip sync. Unless there is something else going on, this will be in the range of a couple of frames. This may well be enough to be a bit troublesome when used for stage monitoring purposes, at least in a small venue where they aren't also hearing a fair bit of house sound, so you might want an external run for that.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator