Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dongle Blinking Wildly?

Dongle Blinking Wildly?

I just upgraded to Lion, and after one week of the update my SafeNet Sentinel (Green led on the end) dongle has started blinking randomly. I am running LW 9.6. Sometimes when I start Modeler or Layout I get to discovery mode and sometimes can start normally..

What's really weird is that the problem persists even if I start with Snow Leopard partition or even if I plug the dongle into another mac..

So it could be unrelated to Lion upgrade I think although weird coincidence, I must say..

What can I do if my dongle gives up on me when I'm in critical project??

For now the green light seems to be burning steadily, so I think I'm ok but I'm worried.

Try different USB port first. If is same then death of dongle could be close
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

yes, I tried. Also blink happens if connect to another mac..

What should I do if my dongle dies?? I'm here in Japan, not anywhere near Topeka..

I guess I had better not to close down Modeler or Layout then...!

Quote Originally Posted by yaschan View Post
    yes, I tried. Also blink happens if connect to another mac..

What should I do if my dongle dies?? I'm here in Japan, not anywhere near Topeka..
    You send dongle to NT and they will replace it with new one. Not sure about shipping cost.
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

If you're running Windows, there used to be (haven't checked lately) some decent diagnostic apps on the Safenet support site. It's not unheard of for a dongle to fail but it is pretty rare, short of being trampled by buffalo.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I'll try the diagnostic app. I have Windows 7 on bootcamp so I think I should be able to test it.

I guess I had better not to close down Modeler or Layout then...!
    note that you can fire up Modeler/Layout with the dongle, remove the dongle, and LW will still run.
    (until a crash or a restart occurs)

you might wanna do that before you ship the dongle, and leave the computer running.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Currently I'm able to start the modeler and layout if I try many times in a row, since the blinking doesn't occur constantly.. I'm just afraid that this stuff happens in some critical moment..

I've contacted the guys who sold me the LW here in Japan, maybe they can help me out.

yup,...
    mark what i said though...

"...you might wanna do that before you ship the dongle, and leave the computer / LW running."

There are also methods of putting an image of the dongle on your computer and the software will run fine. These methods though fall under "cracking" and are not looked kindly upon by legitimate channels.

What this may do however is serve as a "backup" for your dongle while you are attempting to get it replaced. Also, if your dongle is replaced it most likely will not be the same ID. This means any plug ins tied to your old dongle ID will be rendered unusable. This imaging process will allow you to continue using LW and the third party plug ins tied to the old dongle ID.

I was attempting to Google to find a legitimate service that does a backup service on dongles. They keep your image on file and if your dongle is lost or broken they create a replacement. The service was fairly expensive though, as I remember it cost almost as much as a seat of LW.

I couldn't find the site. Too many sites on how to "hack" the dongle.

Good Luck

might depend on where you live, in Norway it's legal to have a backup of the software.
    as the software is dependent on the hardware to run, it might just be legal.

anyway,... :] hope it gets solved...

Oh man. That's right. I've got HD Instance 2.. If the dongle gets replaced.. that's going to be a mess.. If I start the software while the green light is on, it will start properly..

By the way, if I upgrade to LW10 is that going to be also dependent of this dongle?

By the way, if I upgrade to LW10 is that going to be also dependent of this dongle?
    yep.

oh boy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast