Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dongle Blinking Wildly?

Okay.. this is what I got from NT..

"Hello,

I looked in your account and noticed you bought Lightwave from D Storm one of our distributors. YOu will have to contact them to get your dongle. Here is their information: http://www.dstorm.co.jp/company/index.html"

Sure. But can someone enlighten me? Why CUSTOMER can get free dongle replacement from NT, but RETAILER has to pay for it?

^ usually, if you buy at NewTek store, you should find the purchased software inside your NewTek Customer Account, available for download whenever you need it.
    If they send a physical copy to Japan or if NT has some special deal with japanese resellers, well, I just don't know.
    (I had gotten a DVD here in Germany, send by NT-Europe, but I had bought at NewTek-US-store. Wouldn't have needed the DVD as it was out of date the day it arrived, but it was at least a nice gesture).

[edit]
    crossed posting
    Seems, NT has some special deal with Japanese Resellers.
    Probably NT could assist to get you a free replacement dongle from DStorm?
    (Or at least at much lower costs?)
    Last edited by rsfd; 11-01-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Yeah, but not here in Japan..

Like Open Beta.. I had to send like twenty emails and wait and wait just to get the Open Beta because the thing wasn't available in Japan and I couldn't just get the download since I purchased from the retailer here in Japan. After trying and trying I was finally instructed to change my country to US in the site login. I think I am only person in Japan who actually downloaded Open Beta of 64 bit LW for Mac.

And now this dongle thing.. It's just that the whole thing fights against the idea of customer service. I said I need LW urgently so I can't afford shipping my dongle away, so the company said: "send us your credit card number via email, and we'll borrow you a dongle". Sure fine but I don't like sending out my credit card info via email. It's unsecure.

(Update: They said now they will borrow me a dongle if I promise to return it)

But well, I need LW for my work and since today my dongle is pretty much dead and can't start Modeler or Layout.. I guess I just stomach it and shell out the money..

I'm not a happy customer but well, can't be helped.

PS. If this would be consumer product, I'd somehow understand but we are dealing with expensive professional software. Having been some years in the industry I know things aren't this way usually when it comes to software.
    Last edited by yaschan; 11-01-2011 at 05:37 PM.

I think it is probably impossible for me to bypass the monopoly the retailer has established here in Japan.
    Unless I move to US or Europe.

So here's what has taken place:

1. No reply whatsoever from Newtek when I asked the question why I have to pay for replacement dongle and why people from other countries don't.

2. My retailer borrowed me a dongle for few days.

3. In order to BUY the new dongle from them, I needed to send both dongles for them.

4. Unknown when new dongle will arrive.

So now I'm just hoping Modeler and Layout don't crash.

You know I think I will buy NEW LICENSE of Lightwave just so that I can bypass the retailer here.. And maybe rent apartment in US so that I can have US address so that I can register in US and get the same benefits of other US customers.

To be honest, I am really disappointed for the lack of reply from Newtek.

Some of us really have to work for our living by 3D. And now there's no tool..

Actually. I think of saving the 166 dollars for Maya 2011 license.
    http://www.cgjaakko.com/2011/11/user-without-dongle/

I'm willing to bet Autodesk actually replies to customer emails.

quite bad experiences, you are going through atm.
    The handling of possible Dongle issues really should be streamlined especially for customers in Japan.
    Afaik, licensing of AD software has its caveats too and the "Maintenance" fees were holding me back so far, but … one never knows.
    Good luck to you, hope it gets sorted appropriately.

Finally I got the new dongle. (after paying the money) So I will stop ranting..

I contacted Graham. I hope I'll get answer because I'd actually need HD Instance2 now...

Quote Originally Posted by yaschan View Post
    Actually. I think of saving the 166 dollars for Maya 2011 license.
    http://www.cgjaakko.com/2011/11/user-without-dongle/

I'm willing to bet Autodesk actually replies to customer emails.
    Hmmmm, Autodesk isn't that great... a bit like Adobe. You're left hanging on the phone for hours, finally get through to their call centre, and then they don't understand what you're saying, you don't understand what they are saying... and then they think they've solved the issue, when they actually haven't, then hang up.

We've been waiting nearly a year for them to sort out our login and downloads area!! NIGHTMARE!
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    We've been waiting nearly a year for them to sort out our login and downloads area!! NIGHTMARE!
    Good heavens..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123