Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dongle Blinking Wildly?

Plugging the dongle to Win7 machine caused endless stream of crazy sound effects. Judging from the sounds it seems like the dongle is mounting and unmounting in random fashion..

Seems like your dongle is going to Valhalla . I'm not sure can NT give you dongle with same ID but if they can't it's going to be messy to register plugin(s) again. is Graham (HappyDigital) still around so you can get new HDI license in case dongle is changed ?
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Heffalump
    Graham is still around. Email response can be slow, but with enough persistence, you will get an answer.
    Inactive.

That's good to hear.. because the blinking is getting worse. I tried to contact the company here in Japan I bought LW from, but nobody's answering mails.
    Guess I should contact NT directly?

afaik, you can ask NT Customer Support for a replacement dongle, if you think its end is near.
    During the OB and for HC-members, NT offered all those who needed a new Dongle to first get the new one, and - when proper functionality was given - the customer should send in his/her old one.
    As it's impossible to get a new one with the same ID, NT also offered to contact 3rd party developers of Dongle-bound plug-ins to acknowledge the Dongle swap.
    I would assume, that hasn't changed, so I would recommend to contact NT Customer Support (cs [at] newtek[dot]com ) and give them all needed information, including all info about used commercial plugins.

I just got word from the retailer here in Japan and they said replacement one costs 12,600 yen (including shipping fee).

That's too much I think, since I haven't damaged mine anyhow, the damn thing is just failing..

I'm going to ask NT directly.

it's known, that Japan is pretty expensive, but that's just way too much…
    Contacting NT-cs should give you a much better experience, I guess.
    (I hope, at least )

yes, i think NT will get you a better deal...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

maybe it's just the LED getting flakey?
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

OSX 10.12.x, macpro 5.1, nvidia gtx 980 ti, LW2015.x / 2018.x, octane 3.x

It can't be the led because LW starts to Discovery mode when it's off.

This sounds dreadful. You shouldn't be charged anything for a replacement by anybody except the postage.

I thought Newtek would ship the new dongle before you send in the old so you are not left in position where the software is unusable. (?)

I received email from NT saying that they will replace my dongle for free. That's great news!

Indeed, the retailer here in Japan.. If customer can get free dongle replacement, why retailers should to pay for it? Moreover, the retailer asked me to provide my credit card information via email which I find weird..

Anyway, super happy to get my dongle replaced!

Great to hear. Good for you, Sir!

The whole dongle thing is stupid, you buy the program and then you gotta worry about it being trampled by buffalo or something, some idiot mistakes it for their thumb drive and takes off with it, I hate having software tied to hardware.

Yeah, but at least we have luxury of USB.. think of those SERIAL dongles being stacked on top of each other.. But sure I think so too.. I like zBrush in this regard since there's no dongle. I bought the tin box because it was cool but otherwise I don't mind download-only software.

By the way, is LW10 upgrade available as a download from Newtek Store?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast