Thread: Simple question - how to import an After-Effects .png sequence (With Alpha Channel)

Simple question - how to import an After-Effects .png sequence (With Alpha Channel)

Hello All;
    I figure this question must be really easy but I am in a hurry and can't seem to figure it out right now.

I created a lower-third graphic in After Effects and the only way it seems that I could export with alpha channel is through a sequence like .png.

So now I have 300 individual images that I need to import into Speededit but when I try, they come in as individual clips that are each 5 seconds long making the video about 27 minutes when in fact, it is only 10 seconds.

How do I import an animation successfully so SE intreprets it as an animation that is only 10 seconds ? Thanks.

Tim

There's a tick mark you are missing; it says, "Import as sequence".
    Make sure it is ticked on.

I daresay AE can also render to a few 32 bit animation file formats.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Rock'nRoll Set Visualiser Adrian@Stufish's Avatar
    simply load the folder of numbered images onto the timeline, rather than opening the folder & dragging the images on !
    It's only Rock & Roll, but it pays the wages!

Blog Entries
    Assuming you want all future projects that are image sequences (or stills) to be only 1 frame in length, do the following:

Click the 'Windows' menu button at the top
    Select 'Preferences'
    Scroll down the list to the Editing group
    Locate 'Default Still Length' and click the drop down arrow to the right of it.
    Select '1 frame'
    Click the 'Close' button.

Now all future still images (including sequences) will be imported with a duration of 1 frame.

Shabazzy

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    Locate 'Default Still Length' and click the drop down arrow to the right of it.
    Or just hold down ALT when you drag a file from the sequence onto the timeline from the filebin (hit 'g' after to un-trim the ends).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Or just hold down ALT when you drag a file from the sequence onto the timeline from the filebin (hit 'g' after to un-trim the ends).
    Isn't that just for Targa files, Steve?

Nope - unless you're running an out of date version.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

.avi with alpha

I have run into this problem as well and in the past I was able to render out as an .AVI file with alpha to it. Recently though I had some computer problems and had to reinstall my After effects CS5 and lost my renders settings and Output module settings that I had personally configured. So I know there is a way to get a time line rendered out of After Effects that will work with alpha. I just cant seem to figure out how to get it to work again. Has anyone else had luck with this and has any suggestions?

Sincerely,
    Confused

I had good luck dropping the folder containing the .PNG images onto the time line and it seemed to overlay nicely. I was rendering out of Digital Juice's Juicer as a .PNG sequence. But AfterEffects should do about the same.
    Bill
    www.interactivevideo.tv
    609-654-6122