Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The thing- Behind the scenes peak

After three months of deliberation, Universal Pictures, the studio that gave del Toro money for pre-production creature designs, At the Mountains of Madness has remained unwilling to give the director a greenlight, citing concerns over the film’s budget and likely R rating. On Monday, del Toro withdrew from the negotiations, and that night at ten-thirty he sent me a short, mournful e-mail: "Madness has gone dark. The ‘R’ did us in."
    agh! :]
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

So G films make more money I guess.

World's Tallest Dwarf safetyman's Avatar
    Hollywood is all about the $$, so if they can cut out a violent scene to get to a PG-13 rating, they do it. Really puts a damper on creativity IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by safetyman View Post
    Hollywood is all about the $$, so if they can cut out a violent scene to get to a PG-13 rating, they do it. Really puts a damper on creativity IMO.
    yeahh, uhh, dramas and horror flicks aren't necessarily for 13 year olds. Kinda defeats the purpose.

The horror.....the horror.... (as Brando once said)
    Montage Reel, Portfolio, PIN_01, Prime......«« go on, click on a link!

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwestmas View Post
    yeahh, uhh, dramas and horror flicks aren't necessarily for 13 year olds. Kinda defeats the purpose.
    Yeah, it's a sad state of affairs. In the 60's and 70's, an X-rating was actually considered a ratings and box-office draw - you knew you weren't going to be suckered into seeing a tame, boring movie for kids!

Unfortunately these days, kids under the age of 18 have a lot more disposable income and they're considered too big a demographic to miss. Blame it on inflated movie budgets, I guess.
    Dan Sollis : Independent CGI Designer & compositor
    Digital Distortion : Post Production for Film and Television
    http://www.digitaldistortion.net

http://www.londonlightwave.org.uk/

...when did The Terminator and Terminator II become R rated...?

...seems like PG13 to me...

Can' wait personally, the Thing is still one of my favourite horror/thrillers.

Also, it might be in good hands, seeing Matthijs is a pretty good director (here's one of his latest commercials)

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/mikr...he-canal-bear/
    I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. - Albert Einstein
    visit my company site : House of Secrets
    visit my personal site : svenneve.com

Quote Originally Posted by wrench View Post
    For all those that liked the original movie, how about this superb short story by Peter Watts seen from the other perspective? http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

(you'll need to have a good memory of the film, or rewatch it so you are absolutely clear about the sequence of events and characters to get the best from the short story)

B
    I enjoyed this short story a lot. Thx for posting.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

wrench
    His long fiction is superb too (and available as a free download). Bit dark, but really well-written.

B

Good story! I've read another of his, called "The Island", in a collection called "The New Space Opera". Also good. Thanks for the link!
    Mac OS 10.10.5 Yosemite, 2.66 GHz Core 2 duo, 4 GB RAM,ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

borkalork BORKALORK! biliousfrog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by safetyman View Post
    This killed Sucker Punch, the scenes they cut out for the theatrical version were hardly things of nightmares but they altered the flow of the film dramatically. The BluRay version is a far, FAR better film.

I like the look of The Thing prequal. It looks like a decent thriller/horror rather than the usual slasher flicks which are always extremely predictable. I liked the 80's film but haven't seen it in years, hopefully it will be shown on TV soon, they usually are when a remake/sequal/prequal appears in the cinema.

BTW, anyone notice the guy's Nostromo T-shirt?...I likey!

Quote Originally Posted by biliousfrog View Post
    This killed Sucker Punch, the scenes they cut out for the theatrical version were hardly things of nightmares but they altered the flow of the film dramatically. The BluRay version is a far, FAR better film.

I like the look of The Thing prequal. It looks like a decent thriller/horror rather than the usual slasher flicks which are always extremely predictable. I liked the 80's film but haven't seen it in years, hopefully it will be shown on TV soon, they usually are when a remake/sequal/prequal appears in the cinema.

BTW, anyone notice the guy's Nostromo T-shirt?...I likey!
    The Thing 80's was on dish several times last winter. But yer in the UK so that's probably a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by RudySchneider View Post
    YES! That's the "original" original, with James Arness (re: the TV show, "Gunsmoke") playing the thing, and the one that scared the crap outta me as a kid when I first saw it in the 60's!
    Described as a giant carrot!!!
    Daniel Kaiser

"A mistake is always forgivable, rarely excusable and never acceptable." Robert Fripp

AMD Phenom II x6 3.2
    Win 7 Pro x64
    8gig Ram
    Nvidia 640 GT 2Gb
    LW 11 x64

carrots... never liked them... :\

(ok, carrot cake is good)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast