Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The thing- Behind the scenes peak

The thing- Behind the scenes peak

Here we go again, havent seen this footage before..stay patient..a commercial in the beginning for a couple of seconds.
    http://www.aftonbladet.se/webbtv/noj...cle13812835.ab

Looks interesting, they actually seem to have put some effort in the vfx, I hope the mix of cg and old school in front of camera make up works out.

The rest is up to the actors,director,editor,sound editing and the score.

Michael

nah,.. :]

ain't gonna see a behind-the-scenes before i watch the movie,... ;]
    (thanks for the link though :]
     
    Last edited by erikals; 10-22-2011 at 01:07 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

World's Tallest Dwarf safetyman's Avatar
    The original is one of my all-time favs. Can't wait to see this one.

wrench
    For all those that liked the original movie, how about this superb short story by Peter Watts seen from the other perspective? http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

(you'll need to have a good memory of the film, or rewatch it so you are absolutely clear about the sequence of events and characters to get the best from the short story)

B

Old Dog Learns New Tricks RudySchneider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonwestmas View Post
    YES! That's the "original" original, with James Arness (re: the TV show, "Gunsmoke") playing the thing, and the one that scared the crap outta me as a kid when I first saw it in the 60's!
    There are no problems, only opportunities...

wrench
    I should have said "the original John Carpenter movie". I like the 50s one, but it never felt as real - and it had a giant carrot as the monster! (Spoiler? Too soon?) Besides, John Carpenter's was pedantically the original "The Thing" since the original original from the 50s was called "The Thing from another world"...

B

World's Tallest Dwarf safetyman's Avatar
    Yeah, I saw that 50's version. I couldn't get past the "killer potted plant" running around.

Quote Originally Posted by RudySchneider View Post
    YES! That's the "original" original, with James Arness (re: the TV show, "Gunsmoke") playing the thing, and the one that scared the crap outta me as a kid when I first saw it in the 60's!
    This was the reason i slept for the next 3-4 years under the blanket in the bed when i was 9 years old ! It is one of the very few movies i could not see until the end. I saw it only after nearly 20 years ones more until the end. Yeah it wasn't so good as i expected but the Carpenter version looked more as an VFX film to me and did not much impressed me.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...201010349/1023
    (Not that i always like his reviews )

I always thought "why do they love Carpenter so much?"... He is not so bad , say as some other "Transformers" directors . He have good moments in his films ...But especially if you do not like horror movies he have nothing much to say as a director.
    Last edited by kadri; 10-24-2011 at 08:51 AM.

Pretty good review by Ebert. . . for once (1982 version). Alien was a better movie as far as liking the characters and their reactions to threats. . . but to me that is like comparing apples with bananas. I haven't seen any other thing movie that matched the well done special FX and creep factor of the '82 version.

John Carpenter's version is also more like the original short story "Who Goes There?".
    Mac OS 10.10.5 Yosemite, 2.66 GHz Core 2 duo, 4 GB RAM,ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DBMiller View Post
    John Carpenter's version is also more like the original short story "Who Goes There?".
    Yeah that's interesting the story comes from an author during the 1930s. I definitely prefer short stories when it comes to sci-fi characters. I get the sense I can identify with the characters and put myself in their shoes rather than than get lost in the details of an epic novel.

wrench
    You should definitely read the short story I posted a link to then!

B

Quote Originally Posted by wrench View Post
    You should definitely read the short story I posted a link to then!

B
    Ah yes, thanks!

For those who like Campbell´s/Carpenter´s THING I´d also recommend Lovecraft´s "At The Mountains Of Madness", which served as inspiration to "Who Goes There".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast