Thread: Can it be done?

Can it be done?

I have a clip that needs to be re-positioned and resized. It is basically a talking head and I need to minimize some shadows but the rub is that it's a widescreen clip that is being rendered to 4x3 for a client. When I zoom the clip in control tree it becomes larger in the timeline than clips on both sides of it. I tried resizing it and rendering just that clip but still have the issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    If it's taking you longer than an hour to watch 60 minutes...you need help

I must be a bit thick today (at least), but I'm not really getting your meaning here Ray - sorry. Any chance you could add a mockup or otherwise illustrate the issue?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

OK. I have a clip that's shot with a Panny 150, it's in a 4x3 project and I need to zoom in on the frame but keep the 16x9 aspect. When I do it it fills the 4x3 frame instead of staying letterboxed. Basically that's it

Ray,
    2 ways (in my mind) to accomplish this.
    1) use the cropping tool the keep the 16X9 ratio
    if you are zooming you could use keyframing to maintain the 16X9
    format
    2) the easier way is to take a frame of black, place it below the video,
    make it an overlay, crop if from the bottom until it matches your 16X9 video on the top side.
    3) repeat step 2 but crop from the top to make the bottom overlay
    4) stretch both frames out as far as needed to cover the original video

John

Quote Originally Posted by RayLarson View Post
    OK. I have a clip that's shot with a Panny 150, it's in a 4x3 project and I need to zoom in on the frame but keep the 16x9 aspect. When I do it it fills the 4x3 frame instead of staying letterboxed. Basically that's it
    Well, it would, wouldn't it? To avoid that, you'd need to use crop. If you were doing the zoom in over time, the crop could be animated.

p.s., you might also be able to do it if the 16:9 image was in a sub-project. I'd have to try this to be sure.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Am I understanding that you insert your 16:9 Pana 150 shots inside a 4:3 frame? If so, the shots themselves are creating the letterboxing. So if you zoom in on a shot, the letterboxing disappears, right? If so, try this. Use a program like Aura or Mirage to create a black top and bottom strip in a 4:3 frame in the same area as the letterboxing. Overlay this frame over your cropped shot to simulate a 16:9 letterboxed frame.

Actually I got it to work using % of crop and size. A combination of both easily gives me what I needed. Lots of trial and error but success.

Thanks for all your help.

wide

Or...
    You could use the letterbox fx from the effects bin.
    Using the selected clip properties controls, just check the enabled box, not the stretch box and adjust the height to match your orig footage.
    You do not have to turn on the overlay button.
    You may key-frame your footage using position to regain composition.
    Hope this helps.

Pete
    Pete Draves
    CV Productions
    Oak Creek, WI
    [email protected]