Thread: Package LW object into an EXE

Package LW object into an EXE

Hi all,

There used to be a free utility that would package a LW model into a self running exe file. Does anyone know what it is called or where I can find it?

Cheers,
    JS

Master of the Yard!
    I do remember something like that. Try searching for it at www.flay.com
    Less clicking!

/.\\
    Al Mejias

I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty. Fill it up cause I'm still thirsty.

If I order pizza and I get filet mignon, I'll still want pizza.

Hi A Mejias,

I searched there before I posted here but couldn't find anything like it. There are other object viewers available but this one let you package an object as an EXE file that I assume had the viewer embedded in the exe file so the person you are sending it to doesn't have to have any software installed. They just double click on the exe and they are able to view the model in OpenGL and rotate it.

Cheers,
    JS

Hey JS, I just searched the LW list archives. Go to Flay and search for
    "object and viewer" (no quotes). I got a list of 13 different ones.
    "One of the things we really have to impress upon people is that it is never good to be fed on by a blood-sucking insect"
    Dr. Anthony Marfin, CDC

not nessesarily a 2 step process but this can be done with the shockwave exporter and Director .
    RJ Forbes
    Coral House
    Application Development, 3d Animation, Video Production

is there anyway of using the shockwave exporter without director. With a pre written script or another tool ?

Originally posted by mlinde
    Hey JS, I just searched the LW list archives. Go to Flay and search for
    "object and viewer" (no quotes). I got a list of 13 different ones.
    Hi mlinde,

I'm aware of those but I was looking for a specific one that let you pack a model into an EXE file that could run on a machine without installing a viewer.

Cheers,
    JS

I wasn't sure if it was there. Sadly, the one mention of that utility (which I vaguely recall) doesn't have any info in the yahoo groups archives. Maybe the old tv3d ones?
    "One of the things we really have to impress upon people is that it is never good to be fed on by a blood-sucking insect"
    Dr. Anthony Marfin, CDC

Yeah it's one of those things you remember in passing that seemed cool but I never looked at it long enough to remember the name. I think it was actually introduced here on the old forums but I don't know the name so it would be hard to search for it.

Cheers,
    JS

Originally posted by Bytehawk
    is there anyway of using the shockwave exporter without director. With a pre written script or another tool ?
    Not that I know of... most of the w3d editing tools will just allow you to edit them, then save back to w3d. Ill keep my eyes open though.

now that I think of it , I do remeber a exe packager.. try searching the old Newtek forums too., another option might be modding one of those ( forget the name of them, most programmers would know) small 1 megs apps that run little demos and 3D movies. I saw one about 6 months ago on flay that loaded lwo's.

Other than that, you might be able to get away with a quicktime VR object.
    RJ Forbes
    Coral House

http://homepage1.nifty.com/bcon/bcview02.htm

kinda old but I guess it works..

----------------
    RJ Forbes
    Coral House