Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot play tricaster files in Adobe Premiere

Cannot play tricaster files in Adobe Premiere

Hi, I made a recording with TCXD 850 extreme and I'm trying to edit those files in Adobe Premiere CS4.

I installed the Newtek codec and I can play the files (.avi PAL SD) with Windows Media Player and other soft. I can import them into premiere, but when I drag them to the timeline I only see the first few frames when I play them (although the lenght of the clip on the timeline is correct).

I work with a Matrox RTX2 and I tried making Matrox and non-Matrox sequences but the result is the same.

Any idea???

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Just out of curiosity are you able to scrub through it in Adobe Media Encoder?
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Hi Jose,

I can scrub through it and transcode it too with Adobe Media Encoder. But still can't use the original files in Premiere...

UK based Live Production
    I'm afraid we had loads of issues with CS4 - It only got better with CS5 which was happy with the Broadcast/Studio files.

On another point totally multishow - are you in Buenos Aires - I am there in November and am looking to potentially hire and 850 for 2-3 days.

Hi adebats, thanks for the reply.I guess I'll have to move to CS5 (i will lose accelerated export that matrox provides) but there are lots of reasons (and this one of the Tricaster files is one more) to change.

About the othe point, yes, I am in Buenos Aires. There will be no problem on hiring the 850 extreme and if you need any kind of equipment, just ask.

Have you tried installing the TriCaster codec pack on the PC with Premiere?
    Blaine Holm
    Video Hardware Services, LLC
    1-877-203-0871
    1-603-627-5337

We make 'Freedom of Imagination' affordable

http://www.videohardware.com

New England's NewTek Elite Partner

Quote Originally Posted by Blaine Holm View Post
    Have you tried installing the TriCaster codec pack on the PC with Premiere?
    How does one get the codec pack?

GT

The codec pack will only install the Newtek SpeedHQ codecs and will not help you regarding the recorded files of your TC which are plain MP2s.

Get CS5.5 that will let you work with those files (although not very fast and a little bit sluggish) or transcode them into a CS4 friendly format with Adobe Media Encoder prior to editing (like AVI/DV or SpeedHQ).

Regards

pro.

Edit:
    Sorry - I didn't read that you recorded with a TCXD Extreme. Forget what I wrote above. This is only for TCXD users not for Extreme users. AVI is only a container format that can contain various codecs. I didn't find any info about the codec that the TCE uses when recording in AVI format. Maybe it is SpeedHQ. Then you should istall the codec pack which lets you decode AVIs that contain the SpeedHQ codec.
    You can get the codec pack if you login into your Newtek support page and scroll down.

Regards

pro.
    Last edited by pro---studio; 01-19-2012 at 03:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pro---studio View Post
    I didn't find any info about the codec that the TCE uses when recording in AVI format. Maybe it is SpeedHQ. Then you should istall the codec pack which lets you decode AVIs that contain the SpeedHQ codec. You can get the codec pack if you login into your Newtek support page and scroll down.
    This is all correct. Note that if you were working with TriCaster's MPEG2 format, and your version of Premiere did not handle it well, you could use the Export Media module to transcode to something different (such as MJPEG) that virtually every decent NLE on the planet can read.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Steve the XD300 does not have "Export" and I have a similar problem what do I do?
    had put in the Codec pak but that seemed to make no difference. The timeline plays just short bursts then stops.
    Running CS5

Quote Originally Posted by David Curle View Post
    Steve the XD300 does not have "Export" and I have a similar problem what do I do?
    had put in the Codec pak but that seemed to make no difference. The timeline plays just short bursts then stops.
    Running CS5
    You're correct, the codec doesn't have any impact on support for MPEG-2 files, which is what 300 records. Without discussing third party options (Vegas, for example), the first thing that comes to mind is that you could convert your TriCaster recorded MPEG-2 files to something that Premiere does handle properly using SpeedEDIT. I'm assuming you've tried both MPEG-2 formats - thought I remembered Premiere working ok with the 'compatability' type, but it's been quite awhile.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

How to open Tricaster files in Premiere Pro CS6

I have had the same problem, I could not open 4:2:2 files on a Mac in QT or Premiere. I downloaded the Newtek codecs and still no luck. Newtek advised me to transcode the Tricaster files but that does not give an efficient workflow.

I finally was able to solve the problem by installing FCP 7 on our Macs. Somehow FCP contains codecs that Premiere Pro CS6 was looking for. Whatever elements FCP has that makes this work should be included by NewTek. I am sure there is another way to solve this problem without having to install FCP. I hope someone can identify the missing components and come up with a better workaround.

If you're talking about Quicktime 4:2:2, it's a different matter. The problem is on the Adobe side. They're aware, and have acknowledged it, but we don't have any prediction on timing of timing of an update.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

The 4:2:2 files don't play in QT player either. That can't be an Adobe problem.

There are way too many issues that sound similar but really aren't in this thread; no great surprise when it covers several platforms and apps, and goes back more than a year.

Anyway, dealing with the last question, I have personally tested these files in Quicktime on both platforms more than once, but will do so again tomorrow if no-one else gets to it first.

Apart from that, I know it can be frustrating when it seems like developers are playing the blame game, but I really couldn't be bothered ... and since I've seen the correspondence with Adobe myself, I think I'll just stand by what I wrote. ; )
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast