Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Airplay Question

I just want to add that we're attempting to replicate this connection issue, and will report here if we find anything.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I am very happy to report we finally got airplay to work. Here is the issue, in the location we were trying to get it to work, the network is 8 down 1.4 up and the wireless is a regular belkin type router. While on location at a stage in Hollywood, airplay instantly recognized the Tricaster as a device and played FLAWLESSLY, WOW! Great feature. The facility has a 36 meg up and down pipe with what I assume is a very good wireless router/access point. I think we'll try using a repeater near our tricaster to see if we can improve the signal quality. I am pretty sure those not getting this to work simply don't have a great signal or enough bandwidth. I guess it's better for the Tricaster to say no, instead of having it work with really bad quality. Thank you everyone for your input!

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Quote Originally Posted by gameguyag View Post
    I am very happy to report we finally got airplay to work. Here is the issue, in the location we were trying to get it to work, the network is 8 down 1.4 up and the wireless is a regular belkin type router.
    Up and down speed has no relevance on Airplay working or not. The quality of the wireless access point (in your case the belkin router) is the largest factor. Buy a higher quality dedicated access point or a dual band wireless router like a Cisco/Linksys. A dedicated access point is the best route and only let your iOS device attach to it. Nothing else. You can plug that access point into any hard line input and hop on their network. I have been using a $80 Engenius Access Point with great success. I will have to look up the model number. On the wireless router side, we use a Cisco/Linksys dual band version with gigabit onboard. We setup the 5ghz side for the iOS devices only to minimize traffic congestion.

Quote Originally Posted by gameguyag View Post
    I guess it's better for the Tricaster to say no, instead of having it work with really bad quality. Thank you everyone for your input !
    This is not the TriCaster. This is the iOS device. The iPad wifi implementation is really terrible. My iPhone connects easily and stays connected much better than the iPad. It has to do with Apple's firmware implementations to conserve battery life as much as possible. Their firmware will turn off the iPad wifi radio as soon as it can just to save a little battery. This is something even jailbreaking can't defeat. So best thing you can do is try to minimize traffic on the connection and keep fondling the ipad to keep it up and operating.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Consultant
    It should be noted that illegal use of "jammers" in the U.S. is common place, so your mileage may vary using WiFi frequencies in hotels, airports, conference centers, etc. I've even seen a large national hotel/conference vendor put in their contract that they will use jamming equipment, which 1) is rather bold; 2) shows their ignorance of the law [I'd hope]; and 3) clearly against the law. See http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/jammerenforcement/

But the reality is, it's being used - so plan for it. You cannot rely on unlicensed spectrum (WiFi) to get a signal to your TriCaster. Period.

I was at a luxry hotel in New York and was trying to use a top-of-the-line Cisco Dual band wireless router. It wasn't a cheap device so I returned it as defective. I later discovered that the hotel was jamming the signal.

If you encounter this, complain: http://www.fcc.gov/complaints. The FCC takes this seriously, and it WILL impact your streaming business.
    Sandy Audio Visual LLC
    NewTek Certification Testing Center
    Twitter @DCTriCaster

TriCaster: All Models
    Cameras: Sony HDC-P1, X300

My opinion, uncensored. The blog at www.sandyaudiovisual.com.

OK, everyone out there who has been struggling with this and is running a LinkSys/Cisco dual band router raise your right hand. (The rest of you can carry on).

I had a couple of routers here that I have used for testing over the years ... an workhorse old LinkSys WRT54G that would light up the whole neighbourhood, an old Netgear G, and a newer Cisco WRT610N dual band. When documenting Airplay earlier, I had the 54G set up as a subnet (too many machines in my office for the 610N's four ports). Recently, thanks to cutting down on the number of wired connections, I was able to eliminate the subnet. As it happened, a family member needed a router, so I gave away the 54G. The Netgear had gone in a yard sale a while back.

This is all to explain why, when it came time recently for some Airplay screenshots, I had to rely on the WRT610N. And I simply could not get it to connect. I tried this. I tried that. I tried everything else. I hit the web hunting for Airplay connection issues. I learned more about something that should 'just work' than I ever cared to. Then, frustrated, I sniveled and whined until I got the guys in engineering to spend long parts of several days going through every possible router option with me. Nada.

After that, just yesterday, one of them reported that he'd discovered something about this particular router (that might or might not be unique to routers of this type). The 610N is a dual band router. On this router, at least, Airplay will only connect using the first wireless band. Again, it will not connect using the second ... which explained my problem. The first wireless band is always 5gHz (can't be changed), and my iPod Touch does not 'see' 5gHz wireless networks. A newer device, say an iPad2 too probably would, but not my iPod. So I have always been trying to connect on the second wireless network.

The upshot is, my setup simply would not work. I ran out last night and bought an el cheapo ($40) 2.4gHz N router (a D-Link, as it happens), connected it to the 610N as a subnet, and plugged my TC into it. Voila, the end, Eureka, bonsoir and danke schone ...

As much as I have often wished I'd never bought the 610N (don't get me going), I suspect I am not the only one who did. It was a pretty popular router, and it has a lot of dual band siblings. I suspect some of you with persistent problems are in the same boat I was, and I hope this helps. I was beginning to think I'd never get it going again, and now I'm wandering around marveling at how cool this is and humming that old Monkey's tune ("I'm a believer ...")
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Glad you figured it out Steve.

I had a link-sys router issue at home where the network traffic was always over saturated. With only a Media Center PC and an xbox 360 attached via wired inputs I couldn't get video to stream from one to the other. This was gigabit wired even. Took all the wireless off still nothing. Finally went out and bought a newer model and all problems went away. Proof also that routers just wig out sometimes.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

We updated our 850 and can now get the Tricaster to show up on my iPad but the Tricaster doesn't show anything other than "receive" in the dropdown on Net 1 & 2. I select "receive" but no audio or video comes through. (I made sure the content was not protected). We tried connecting the Tricaster to a wide open wireless router and made sure the iPad was connected to the same router. That configuration was the only way the iPad could see the Tricaster as an AirPlay output. We switched the network setting on the Tricaster to "Home". Nothing seems to work. I know we are close but can't figure out what else to try. **bangs head on rock** Any suggestions? The only thing I can think of that may be an issue is that I am running the latest iOS 5 beta on the iPad. HELP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Auman View Post
    We updated our 850 and can now get the Tricaster to show up on my iPad but the Tricaster doesn't show anything other than "receive" in the dropdown on Net 1 & 2. I select "receive" but no audio or video comes through. (I made sure the content was not protected). We tried connecting the Tricaster to a wide open wireless router and made sure the iPad was connected to the same router. That configuration was the only way the iPad could see the Tricaster as an AirPlay output. We switched the network setting on the Tricaster to "Home". Nothing seems to work. I know we are close but can't figure out what else to try. **bangs head on rock** Any suggestions? The only thing I can think of that may be an issue is that I am running the latest iOS 5 beta on the iPad. HELP!!!
    I would certainly not run a beta OS to test with ...

Hate to state the obvious, You are choosing one of the Airplay channels to play out to on the Ipad interface right?
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams

We updated our 850 and can now get the Tricaster to show up on my iPad but the Tricaster doesn't show anything other than "receive" in the dropdown on Net 1 & 2.
    This may not be the cause, but this is exactly what will happen if the content you're trying to play has DRM protection.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

AirPlay Question

Thanks for the pointers guys. I installed iOS5 (public release) yesterday and now everything works magically. I also updated my AppleTV device firmware and have to admit, the wireless screen mirroring to HDTV feature is great!
    Are there any plans to upgrade the Tricaster's AirPlay capabilities to allow full wireless screen mirroring instead of just pics, tunes, and vids? We are trying to get to the point where our onscreen show hosts can implement live social media elements into the show. If the host could use an iPad to browse Twitter/facebook it would be great to be able to take the iPad screen wirelessly as a video source.
    I realize that this is already a possibility using an AppleTV device feeding an HDMI signal into an HDMI to HD-SDI converter and then running that feed into the TC as a source. I am just trying to avoid buying the converter if an update will take care of this a week after I buy it.

I am just trying to avoid buying the converter if an update will take care of this a week after I buy it.
    There's also the advantage of not tying up another video input.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

I have an XD300; reading the manual for the 300, 14.2 talks about getting airplay, selecting the apple device in the source menu for the net input....but, that is not happening; but the new release and manual indicate it should...do I need a patch or more instruction than is contained in the manual?

Quote Originally Posted by dkinskey View Post
    14.2 talks about getting airplay, selecting the apple device in the source menu for the net input....
    The top menu item in the Net source drop-down should be the Airplay icon. If it is, that's all there is to configure on the TC side of the equation. The rest is on the Airplay device end.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Using XD 300 and an Ipad 2; could not get them to connect; pulled out the linksys put in a belkin; no go; configured the Belkin as indicated pp 247 - 249 in the new XD 300 manual; now, the ipad2 sees the XD 300, we play a video, the Ipad says it is playing the video on XD300 but meanwhile on the tricaster in the network box I drop down the receive and zippo...ideas?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast