Thread: Easy way to setup ergonomic color-feedback on human model

Easy way to setup ergonomic color-feedback on human model

I've been looking for a good and flexible way to make a movie showing ergonomic feedback from Motion Capturing information. Simply put: the rotations of bones determine the colour of the limbs.

I'm looking at a way to convert bone rotation directly to the color of the skin it's connected to, but I haven't found a way to do this yet.
    Preferably I just want it connected to the deformations caused by the bones without specifying a lot of different surfaces. I'm not sure if this is possible, but I would reckon I would be able to get this using gradients and nodes. Most important is that I get a link between the bones rotation and the colour(preferably none - red).

Attached is an image and the scene showing what I'm approximately looking for.

Do you have suggestions how to achieve this?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test_Feedback.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	98087  
    Attached Files Attached Files

You want the tension texture/node.
    With it, you can get what you want.

Built in, this is found in the shaders area, iirc. For the node, go to Dpont's website to download.

Thanks for your answer,

I've tried it on a normal mesh and it works perfectly. But somehow it doesn't work with the motion capturing data(it is only one colour). Any idea why?

Thanks in advance.

Anyone know the answer to this problem?

I've also noticed that only the Compress function works(but only when multiplied by 0,0025).
    Why aren't the Tension and Stress functions not working at all?

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Piece of cake...

Youll want DPkit, to get the bone info node. From there you can use its rotation output to drive a gradient which plugs into colour.

Ofc if you wanted the colour only to happen on the part of the mesh that the bone is "beneath" then you would want different surfaces... or alternatively, you could use distance based gradients to "section" off each piece of mesh on a per bone basis, or alternatively use the weight maps the bones tie to inside the nodal surface to filter the placement of the colour.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all