Thread: best SDIout-studio cam for TriCaster

best SDIout-studio cam for TriCaster

Me again already, this time in need of tips/news on the best studio cameras with SDI output in the $3k-$4.5k range. Right now I'm between Panasonic HPX170 and the Sony NX5U. Any thoughts on those? Any others I should be considering (or wait for) in that price range? I do prefer something with SDI out and not do any converting. Overall from what I've read the Panasonics have the edge but what draws me to the Sony's is the x20 zoom. That would be nice to use these in place of our tired Canon GL2's for games and remote shoots as well. The versatility would be great to have BUT studio quality is priority so if the quality of the live feed of the 170 is noticeably better we may just make do with the x13 zoom.

BTW, we're a cable access station with a 900 sq/f studio and use a TriCaster Broadcast which the best input is SDI. Had old JVC 5000s which got tired and grainy in a hurry (fun to key live set), then replaced those with somewhat old Canon GL2's which looked much better but now a couple of them are giving us old age problems...so here I am.

Any tips, news, or even jokes on long posts would be appreciated. Thanks!

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    I have sold the Sony Nx5u into 3 different schools since they came out. I believe their picture looks sharper than the Pannys. They were used on both XD300s and Broadcasts. The combination Sony with the Xd300 for greenscreen was amazing.

On the 20x zoom difference. The 20x isn't measure against a specific standard. The Sony for instance has a pretty wide shot when zoomed all the way out. When compared to a JVChd110 16x the JVC has more zoom by a smidgen. Less of a full wide shot but more zoom.
    I would definitely try to rent both cameras and put them side by side to compare in your situation.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Thanks Pizazz. That's good news because I would like to have the zoom. I'll see if we can rent them both for a reasonable price. Will see what happens and post the results. We may eventually end up with both because I like the 170s for our next field camera.

I have the NX5s hooked to my TCXD850 and they work really well. Great cameras adapting to difficult light conditions, easy to handle, and with a lens equivalent to a 28-590mm after considering the crop factor, a nice pull for sports production.

Looking back, I might have invested 1500$ more per camera and go for JVCs 710 with interchangable Fujinon lenses, since they come more kitted (shoulder rest, audio preview headphone, better/bigger lcd, anton bauer bettery, NTSC/PAL) and they are better for studio work b/c of genlocking input, but all in all I'm pretty happy with the result of the NX5 and the image quality is very good.

That said, since the NX5 is 3CMOS instead of 3CCD, you do get a bit of rolling shutter, noticeable on heavy vibrations or very (very) fast movement. I mainly do sport productions and the only time i noticed a bit of the rolling shutter effect was with the flash of photographers and it wasn't that bad.

Registered User Red Dog Records's Avatar
    Could you squeeze a Sony EX1 into your budget?
    Amazing camera with SDI output and 1/2" CMOS chips.

Fraid not Red Dog. Not only for the price but the x14 zoom too. 1/2" would be great but for our cable access budget I could use the $ for other needs. Plus I'd be more nervous sending 6,000 cameras out for sports and events. Thanks for the suggestion though.

And thanks Nacho for making me feel good about the NX5. Glad to hear all that. At this point they are the winner. Now to get the expense approved!

Like i said, they do a great work as a run-and-gun camera. If you can spare the extra money I'd go with the JVC's, specially if you'll be using them in studio, or for motorsports, but other than that, it's a good buy.

Hope you're happy with them!