Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Particle help - offset saved motion

The EASIEST way to retime and reposition a PFX is to install DPont's DP_Kit (if you haven't already). Then add Particle Scan to the emitter (Obj Prop. > Deform tab > Add Displacement), set its options to save as MDD (to default vertcache folder in content dir - make one if not there), do the scan, disable it AND the PFX plugin, add MDD_Emitter (Geometry tab > Add Custom Object ), load just-created MDD file, in its options enable Key Move and to retime, enable Remap and create envelope as desired (I believe you set time = 0 key to 0 and desired start key = 1 and to stepped, or speed up/slow down by using 0 to 1 ramps).

A side benefit to using an MDD-converted PFX is you get single-pass motion blur when attaching instances. Sadly, however, HVs still require multi-pass MB.
    Dean A. Scott, mfa
    Senior 3D Animator and Graphic Design Illustrator, @ Astec, Inc.
    Owner / Lead Artist @ chrusion | FX

Thanks for the info Chrusion. I really appreciate it. Even after working with Lightwave for 17 years there is still a lot I don't know.

You're welcome.
    Dean A. Scott, mfa

Chruson, I followed your directions and I am able to use the DP Motion Designer plugins to create an MDD of the file. However when using the MDD_Emitter I can not move the particles around. They seem to be locked to the place that they are recorded. Moving the object around has no effect on the particle position. Am I missing something or is that just the way it works?

Thanks,
    -Joe

Did you set Key-Move to On? I just loaded up a scene with MDD Emitter and can move the particle sim anywhere I want with this option On.
    Dean A. Scott, mfa

Quote Originally Posted by Chrusion View Post
    Did you set Key-Move to On? I just loaded up a scene with MDD Emitter and can move the particle sim anywhere I want with this option On.
    That is it. Thanks.

This thread saved my life. Thanks.

Life saver too, thanks !

Yes, this is one of those things that you forget how to do because sometimes you don't always have to do it. After I bake out a .pfx file.. I go into a new empty scene.. add a new null then apply the baked motion and offset the keys. I've been stuck on forgetting to reset the null to 0,0,0 as well. So I keep a "working" scene in case I want to alter the pfx file. Then a new "baked" scene. I'm sure I'll have to refer back to this thread eventually too! Nice that it's helping us a few years later..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12