Thread: Issues Rendering over Alpha Channel

Issues Rendering over Alpha Channel

I have 3D Arsenal and am using Lightwave 8.5 and have been having trouble rendering "flare reveals" over an alpha channel. Everytime I render the "flare Reveals" with an alpha channel, the flare doesn’t show up and only the logo shows up. I am saving it as an .Avi and with "Newtek Speed HQ 4:2:2:4 (Alpha)".

When I choose my Output File as "Type: .AVI" under Render Options and then click "Options" it gives me an error. This is what it says:

Ligthwave.exe - Entry Point Not Found
    The Procedure Entry Point [email protected]@@[email protected]@XZ Could not be located in the dynamic link library Windows MediaLib.dll

I am not sure if this is the problem (anytime I click options for .avi, whether it be for a flare or something else to render, it gives me this error message). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

To get the flare to show up in your alpha you need to add the Flare2Alpha plug-in under the Processing>Add Image Filter section.

I would suggest rendering to an image sequence instead of an avi file. Render to png32 or tga32 instead.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

Nick, you sure are around a lot! I am trying to render my cart, LW scene that just has the object rotating. I can not, do not know how to tell it to make an alpha channel. I see your suggestion of seperate files, wow, 300 frames, 300 files. I was trying quick time and several AVI's.
    Is there a best practices way or a better way?

Quote Originally Posted by n9103h View Post
    Nick, you sure are around a lot! I am trying to render my cart, LW scene that just has the object rotating. I can not, do not know how to tell it to make an alpha channel. I see your suggestion of seperate files, wow, 300 frames, 300 files. I was trying quick time and several AVI's.
    Is there a best practices way or a better way?
    Individual frames are better as this way you can resume a render if something ever crashes. I'm not sure which avi formats support alpha channels. QT Animation codec does though.

But don't you have a video toaster or something? I would render out to an image format that supports alpha channels (32tga or 32png). Then compile the frames in a program like QTPro, After Effects (I'm not familiar with the Toaster but I'm sure it can do the job too).
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

yes, i have vt5 toaster. also adobe suite 1.5. I used newtek 4.2.2.2 w/alpha and the adobe took it as alpha channel. I would use speededit but I have so many years with adobe it is jsut faster. I could not get the QT to keep the alpha channel for some reason. thanks, wife is calling for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by n9103h View Post
    I could not get the QT to keep the alpha channel for some reason.
    When rendering out to a QT you want your Channels option to be RGB+Alpha. Not every codec supports alpha channels though. I know the Animation and AvidDNXHD codec do.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel