Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Selective reflection object..ray switch node

it works on the scene I posted on LW 10.1 64-bit ? I must have done something wrong then, gonna try again...

Just tried in LW 11.6x versions (sorry, don't have v10 currently installed).

After a quick consultation to Denis, it seems something has changed between 2011 and 2012. About the current version the ID Offset works only with "Type ID" output. Tried here and DP ItemInfo is working perfectly with TypeID and the shared setup in current versions. Just in case, let's remember we need to offset 1 for objects.

Gerardo

I can't get it to work, been trying again for the past few hours with no results. Any chance you could post the fixed lwo/lws that works for you or at least a screenshot of the correct network? I must be missing something painfully obvious...

The correct setup for the original case - that is to say, avoiding the reflection of the sphere in the floor and its reflection on the floor in the mirror - like this:

would be something like this:

DP ItemInfo node is getting the ID data from the floor. Remember this setup is for LW 11.6x. Perhaps it's not working in your case because of you are using a previous version.

As for the scene you have posted, the setup is different. Guess because the purpose is different too. What exactly are you trying to achieve? Can modify your scene based on that, but I could only save it as LW 11.6.

Gerardo

so, just to be safe, in regards to the above network:
    - network is applied to the ball surface (mine is a cube)
    - Item Info is set to the "floor" object with ID-offset=1 (defaults of Time Mode Absolute and Time 0.0)
    - for both Logic nodes Operation is set to "A Equal To B"
    - Clamp node is set to Low 0.0 and High 1.0
    this is what I get:

I'm inclined to think that at least one of the third party nodes isn't performing correctly....going to try older versions of DP Kit and db&w and see if that fixes it. If that fails I'll probably get LW11 trial to see what happens.
    Last edited by sampei; 05-14-2014 at 03:58 AM.

Time mode is irrelevant in this context unless you plug a constant or envelope to the Time input parameter (for replacing or offsetting current LW time). High Parameter in Clamp node should be 1.0 in order to get 100% transparency.

Just in case, I'm attaching a very simple LW 11.6 scene. Hope it works in v10.

Gerardo
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Sampei View Post
    ...for both Logic nodes Operation is set to "A Equal To B"!...
    I think that for filtering further bounces,
    you may need to check "A Greater or Equal to B".

Denis.

Quote Originally Posted by gerardstrada View Post
    Time mode is irrelevant in this context unless you plug a constant or envelope to the Time input parameter (for replacing or offsetting current LW time). High Parameter in Clamp node should be 1.0 in order to get 100% transparency.

Just in case, I'm attaching a very simple LW 11.6 scene. Hope it works in v10.

Gerardo
    Thanks for the scene Gerardo, going to try it now. High Parameter is 1.0 (as default) I edited the typo...sorry about that.

edit_this is what renders out from LW 10.1 (layout told me I didn't have "node handler" not sure if relevant):

Quote Originally Posted by dpont View Post

Denis.
    Hi Denis going to try that too, thanks for the input and for the awesome nodes.

edit_no luck, tried using "A Greater or Equal to B" on both Logic nodes at the same time, then on just (1) and (2) separately and got the following:

going to try older versions tonight and report back..
    Last edited by sampei; 05-14-2014 at 04:37 AM.

edit_this is what renders out from LW 10.1 (layout told me I didn't have "node handler" not sure if relevant):
    Nope. Not relevant. But result is not what is got in LW 11.6. You should get no reflection of the ball in the floor and its reflection on the floor in the mirror like in the sample:

If no Item Info version makes any difference, could be something related with LW version directly. I'd try with a previous version of db&w Extended SpotInfo as well, just in case.

Gerardo

tried some older versions of db&w and DPont but found no definitive solution, so at this point it must be something in LW 10.1 that's not adding up. In any case:

- versions of db&w previous to 2.1 work as expected but only in VPR and with minor artifacts while in 2.1 only the reflection in the mirror is canceled but the one in the floor is still there (also in VPR). On F9 renders no reflection or shadow is canceled in any version (as if no setup is applied). All of this using it in conjunction with DP Kit for LW 9.6-10 64-bit.

- using other versions of DP Kit either produces some strange artifacts or the nodes cannot be loaded

- tried combining with TA Extended Spot Info with no ideal results

..don't really know what else to try, I suppose it must be a LW 10 problem.

Got the discovery LW 11.6.3 installed and the scene renders out correctly. I've added the shadow to the setup by subtracting Shadow Ray ( spot info ) from Ray Source ( extended spot info) with no issues. However I'm getting some faint artifacts in the shadow pass (can only be seen if the shadow is canceled) and in the reflection pass (see picture below, it's barely visible ). Tried messing around with the clamp but that only made it worse...any ideas ? (the artifact was there from the beginning so unrelated to the shadow ray addition)

Got the discovery LW 11.6.3 installed and the scene renders out correctly. I've added the shadow to the setup by subtracting Shadow Ray ( spot info ) from Ray Source ( extended spot info) with no issues. However I'm getting some faint artifacts in the shadow pass (can only be seen if the shadow is canceled) and in the reflection pass (see picture below, it's barely visible ). Tried messing around with the clamp but that only made it worse...any ideas ? (the artifact was there from the beginning so unrelated to the shadow ray addition)
    A pity that this is not working in LW 10, but glad is working in last LW version. As for the artifact, that's a portion of the blurred reflection on the floor. This portion is the intersection between the first ball reflection (from the actual ball) and the second ball reflection (from the reflected ball in the mirror). The way to solve this was provided by Denis just a couple of posts before:

Quote Originally Posted by dpont View Post

Denis.
    Make this in the Logic node for the bounces

Gerardo

you are correct Gerardo, now it renders out perfectly ! thank you for being so patient, a true samaritan
    ps.if anyone from newtek reads this, it wouldn't be a bad idea to include a ray-tracing tab in the object properties panel with exclusion switches for shadows, reflections, transparency etc. extending to every object in the scene.

you are correct Gerardo, now it renders out perfectly ! thank you for being so patient, a true samaritan
    ps.if anyone from newtek reads this, it wouldn't be a bad idea to include a ray-tracing tab in the object properties panel with exclusion switches for shadows, reflections, transparency etc. extending to every object in the scene.
    Yep... I'd second this! Would love all these ray trace settings per object or per surface!!
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    Yep... I'd second this! Would love all these ray trace settings per object or per surface!!
    Third this! per object and per surface, please

Gerardo

+ AA settings per object / per surface... :]
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12