Thread: Custom Virtual Studio Input Devices ?

Custom Virtual Studio Input Devices ?

Hello,

Will it be possible at some point for us to create custom input devices plugins for virtual studio ?

Cheers,
    Guy.
    --
    guy rabiller | radfac founder / ceo

Or is it possible allready and I've missed something ?

Anyone ?

Thanks.

Guy.
    --
    guy rabiller | radfac founder / ceo

This feature has not been implemented into the LW 10.1 SDK yet, but according to Chuck will "probably" be added in an upcoming cycle.

Hi,

Just wanted to thanks Newtek for the SDK update in LW11.

We can now create our own Human Interface Managers and Devices

I'm planning to work on some, probably MIDI and Audio for a start, possibly PS3 Move (Without the need of PS3/Move.Me but for HPB/Buttons only, no move).

Before I do, I wanted to ask if someone is already working on similar Managers/Devices ? Just to avoid duplicate work.

Cheers,
    Guy.
    guy rabiller | radfac founder/ceo | raa.tel | French Lightwavers & Studios List

Can anyone explain how to use the LWHumanInterface Clock example from the SDK?

I've built it for LW 11.03 x64 but I expected to see a new device in the Virtual Studio Device Manager but it does not show up after loading the plugin.

Comments in the source files do not explain how to use the plugin.

Ok, I finally found the sample scene and figured out how to get the Clock Manager to show up in VS Device Manager.

Now trying to figure out just how the traits are used in the sample.
    Last edited by gclayton; 12-18-2012 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gclayton View Post
    Ok, I finally found the sample scene and figured out how to get the Clock Manager to show up in VS Device Manager.

Now trying to figure out just how the traits are used in the sample.
    I haven't been using the SDK - just LScript at present, but is it now possible to make a Virtual Studio Input device using the SDK in a .p plugin? Even though I use a 3D Connexion Spacepilot Pro, I'd like to fool around with other input devices including a Wii controller. How successful have you been? Have you had any luck with making your own input device work with LW?

I would like to see more work done with using Kinect system myself. Seems more flexible.
    Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The trouble makers. The round heads in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. You can quote them. Disagree

Quote Originally Posted by sami View Post
    I haven't been using the SDK - just LScript at present, but is it now possible to make a Virtual Studio Input device using the SDK in a .p plugin? Even though I use a 3D Connexion Spacepilot Pro, I'd like to fool around with other input devices including a Wii controller. How successful have you been? Have you had any luck with making your own input device work with LW?
    Take a look at the LWHumanInterface SDK sample on how to develop a .p type plugin.

No, I haven't developed a working plugin yet. I had to take a break for the holidays. I was wanting to see if I could develop a plugin that uses input from my Windows Phone via network sockets, just as an experiment.

I haven't looked at the Hid example yet.

Quote Originally Posted by stargatesg1 View Post
    I would like to see more work done with using Kinect system myself. Seems more flexible.
    If I remember correctly, Rob, or it may have been someone else, mentioned during Siggraph that they were doing some work with the Kinect. Don't know when it would be available.

Take a look at the LWHumanInterface SDK sample on how to develop a .p type plugin.

No, I haven't developed a working plugin yet. I had to take a break for the holidays. I was wanting to see if I could develop a plugin that uses input from my Windows Phone via network sockets, just as an experiment.

I haven't looked at the Hid example yet.
    Just a thought in case it helps (and I haven't done this with Lightwave before but have with other applications), and you may have already been thinking of this, but you might want to consider using UDP over WiFi from your phone sending OSC data to the LW plugin. That's what I'm going to try (not with a windows phone) but something similar. I have done that to other apps from android phones and iOS and found that to be sufficiently speedy for my purposes and relatively simple.

Top Dog
    If I remember correctly, Rob, or it may have been someone else, mentioned during Siggraph that they were doing some work with the Kinect. Don't know when it would be available.
    Yes, I remember that, too. I hope sooner rather than later — it seems that everyone one from small developers and up have some kind of Kinect functionality. I tried jumping through the Jimmy Rig hoops and ultimately failed. Also, it seems like people who develop Kinect-based software (like Ni Mate) never support Lightwave.