Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Modeler?

Quote Originally Posted by geo_n View Post
    Right now I only want newtek to deliver on their promise to integrate modelling into layout by lw 11. Separate applications is a no no. I can wait for better modelling toolset by then.
    But they didn't say we'd have modeling in Layout by LW11. All they said was they are still planning on unifiying LightWave but they didn't specify when that would happen. Rob mentioned in an interview that they have a strong 3 year roadmap. So it could still be 3 years away and maybe not having much to do with LightWave 11.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    But they didn't say we'd have modeling in Layout by LW11. All they said was they are still planning on unifiying LightWave but they didn't specify when that would happen. Rob mentioned in an interview that they have a strong 3 year roadmap. So it could still be 3 years away and maybe not having much to do with LightWave 11.
    If there's no work related to integrating by lw 11 then that would be it for me then. I'll still be happy using lw 10 for personal and freelance projects for the next few years. It is a very very capable app for 90% of one man projects.

I'm sure the best option for all would be to allow you to turn them on or off.…
    you already can do: Preferences > Display > Tool Handles > Draw Style > "Invisible"
    of course, it's a more global solution, but for those who prefer Modeler style…

Personally, I like them esp. in combination with the various Action Centers which also allow to set the Handles wherever you want them (e.g. out of ones view)

Check out the entries from simplylightwave and simplymaya. Seems the quality of models from maya users are better than some lw users and this is from supposedly a weaker modelling app. The rendering from maya look superb as well.
    http://simplylightwave.com/forum/sho...?t=5718&page=2

Check out the entries from simplylightwave and simplymaya. Seems the quality of models from maya users are better than some lw users and this is from supposedly a weaker modelling app. The rendering from maya look superb as well.
    http://simplylightwave.com/forum/sho...?t=5718&page=2
    There are more professionals and more aspiring professionals using Maya.
    Nothing more, nothing less.
    portfolio

The Liver is evil and must be punished!

For UV Mapping if you are using a PC, PLGUV makes a very decent job. (free) http://homepage2.nifty.com/nif-hp/index2_english.htm

What if you are on a mac?

^ as we all know, you are then locked to Modeler's default toolset

or you just go with another Modeling app…

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Its just my assertion and some others of us who spend a lot of time in modeler that we would like to see it evolve too, not just layout which has received the bulk of development for the last several years.
    Preaching to the choir here bro'.
    Yes, modeller can do stuff, but hey, try saying it can *minus* any 3rd party plugins and it becomes a bit more problematical.

Yep, for sure, many of the plugins are free, some 3rd party devs just plain ROCK! However, failings of native tools relying on 3rd party is hardly "development".

I've given up completely on Newtek actually delivering anything worthwhile in modeller before LW12, if then, simply due to the borderline obsession with new layout tools.
    Quite hi-larious when you think the answer from Newetk-ians seems to be, if you need a better modeller now, buy another product to "enhance" your LW "pipeline".
    Umm, yeah, 'kay.
    Too old to die young.

@ Surrealist - Thanks a bunch! Lots of good info to chew on. The consensus seems to be that Modeler won't see much improvement for quite a while. Even so I think I will keep my license. I'm already familiar with Lightwave having used it years ago and as expected creating base meshes in Modeler for use in ZBrush is quick and easy although there is no GoZ. For the things Modeler can't do I'll just pick up another program rather than load up on plugins. Thanks again for taking the time to write up such a detailed reply.

Sinner Saved by Grace Larry_g1s's Avatar
    I'm sure the best option for all would be to allow you to turn them on or off.
    Watching some vids from Silo and it seems like that.
    Last edited by Larry_g1s; 07-08-2011 at 10:28 AM.
    Larry Vasquez | Genesis One Studios | company showreel

Someday, I will be a CG animator (student at iAnimate.net).

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Check out the entries from simplylightwave and simplymaya. Seems the quality of models from maya users are better than some lw users and this is from supposedly a weaker modelling app.
    Or you can read Kat Myers' posts from the VFX department of IRON SKY and see his rants about Maya issues.

http://www.liberty3d.com/2011/06/iron-sky-day-37/
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Or you can read Kat Myers' posts from the VFX department of IRON SKY and see his rants about Maya issues.

Swings and round-abouts , I also heard that LW caused some problems in which Maya could do "EASILY", but luckily there was Lscript written for just the job

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by OnlineRender View Post
    Swings and round-abouts ........
    I had to look that up.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by NanoGator View Post
    Despite all that, Modeler is still quite useful sitting next to Maya and Cinema4d.
    Unless you need Hi-polycount, then it's unusable - really 0.2 FPS is unusable .

so yes I agree with hrgiger, modeler LACKS very much and yes you can do many thing (almost everything) but most of things lacking are workarounds or purchasing 3rd party plugins which aren't so cheap when you consider what is lacking and would need to be purchased to match it up to other apps.

Modeler didn't get proper update for 5+ years and previous update was just half finished edge adding and including few 3d party plugins which never been updated since so you can say LW Modeler is pretty much where it was been 10 years ago (except edges half support and tumbling speed) .
    Last edited by Lewis; 07-08-2011 at 02:09 PM.
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post

That was an eye opener for sure!
    Mac OS 10.10.5 Yosemite, 2.66 GHz Core 2 duo, 4 GB RAM,ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast