Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Worlds most valuable historical filmed Event?

The Worlds most valuable historical filmed Event?

What would you name as the worlds Nr one important historical filmed Event.

Interesting to hear since some things might have different meaning and impact to people..some things may impact us personally and some nation wide..and then thereīs some events that rises the eyebrows of almost any nation in awe, admiration or in horror and despair.

Do you think..as I do?

Michael

The 9/11 footage has been the most memorable for me, mainly for total shock and dimension of the events.

I even noticed how popular big scale and city-wide has become since then in american movies, so I guess Iīm not alone with this.

Not sure Iīd call it the most "valuable" historical event, but it sure is the one with the biggest impact Iīm aware of.
    Last edited by Hominid 3D; 06-29-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Footage of the holocaust. To remind us that all humans can be arseholes. And to remind us not to be arseholes.

Moon landing - proof that man can be more than arseholes.

B
    LightWiki
    --
    Machine spec: Phenom II x6 3.3GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit, NVidia Geforce 450 GTS 280.26

I thought the moon landing was fake. Didnt they use Lightwave for that :-)

Footage of the World War I&II horrors for sure.
    I think if they hadn't been filmed then it would seem like a much longer time ago and we would be able to forget.
    A lot of it is almost unbearable to watch.

Closely followed by the many cases of famine and dictatorship going on today. I think its essential that we have records of how backward we still are so that we can be embarrassed into action.

In 100 years time we will surely look like a barbarous and delusionally self important tribe shamed into donating money with images of children starving to death.
    portfolio

The Liver is evil and must be punished!

Yes indeed the 9/11 hits on the towers are indeed dramatic and left a personal shock being very aware of it at the moment it happen and with all the newsfeed directly...
    I remember we Had some silent minutes at work when it was announced.

However I consider the moonlanding probably to be the most impacting filmed event in mankind...a monument of mankinds exploring nature and success in completing
    extrem missions.

I also think I would place the Hiroshima bomb higher in the list than 9/11
    Maybe 50 000 people killed within seconds, and estimated 90-160 000 In the aftermath of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
    It also showed us the horrible effect of such a weapon wich up til this day affect us very much.
    Keep this in mind while doing Your mushroom nukes in LW.

The same goes for the images of the holocoust and the camps where jewīs
    were being exterminated...It didnīt happen while I was alive, but those images are so burnt in to memory portraiting some of the worst sides of mankind and happenings in the history..In school You just couldnīt take it in that it was for real.

Our recorded history and events are most likely to show mankind in a shamed point of view, anyway..the moonlanding will stand tall as a counterpart.
    Sad that Nasa seems to shut down, but countries need to take care of their own and feed them before long journeys are done I guess.

Michael

Moon landing, maybe atomic bomb comes second, Hitler in Paris.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    The same goes for the images of the holocoust and the camps where jewīs
    were being exterminated...It didnīt happen while I was alive, but those images are so burnt in to memory portraiting some of the worst sides of mankind and happenings in the history..In school You just couldnīt take it in that it was for real.
    Just to add to this: there were just as many non-jews killed in the concentration camps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust#Non_Jewish

And Stalin wasn't much better. Estimates of deaths under his regime go as high as 20,000,000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_...ber_of_victims

The Hindenburg Disaster is right there on top ones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiAT9xvTVKI
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryonic View Post
    JAnd Stalin wasn't much better. Estimates of deaths under his regime go as high as 20,000,000.
    Don't forget Pol Pot when listing mass murderers.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Wright brothers' flight, then the moon landing, just 66 years later.

I'd say the war and atrocity footage doesn't actually affect us, substantially. We keep doing it. The horror of previous wars doesn't stop those in power from starting new ones. There are still people calling for genocide, and people working at it.

the CORE Reveal video.

... meh, just kidding.
    www.mrwyatt.de
    lighting & rendering supervisor at
    Ambient Entertainment

current project

IMDB

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nangleator View Post
    I'd say the war and atrocity footage doesn't actually affect us, substantially.
    While I sadly agree... do any of the other filmed events?

I'd say that filmed events by themselves - especially coupled with the more modern live transmissions - are what transformed the world as lot in the past century or so.

However, valuable? I suppose that depends on how it's defined.
    I'd personally still pick WWII + aftermath imagery - mainly because it still is a valuable(!) reminder.
    Even if it's sometimes forgotten or ignored.

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Nangleator View Post
    Wright brothers' flight, then the moon landing, just 66 years later.

I'd say the war and atrocity footage doesn't actually affect us, substantially. We keep doing it. The horror of previous wars doesn't stop those in power from starting new ones. There are still people calling for genocide, and people working at it.
    If it does not affect us, why was the US government (and the same goes for any other government involved with war) so bent on making sure no truly bloody footage of the last couple of invasions (Iraq, Afghanistan to name a few) was shown on national television? Remember Vietnam?

But yes, television in itself is a very limited method of communication. It works wonders for yes-no / left-right and other artificially created divisions, though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast