Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Rob Powers Update

Quote Originally Posted by OnlineRender View Post
    That's lucky because both they aspect in lw need serouis attention.........
    Perhaps his arrival wasn't just by chance, then.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Perhaps his arrival wasn't just by chance, then.
    And I thought he's only there because he's horse died as he rode past the saloon next to the NT HQ...

Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf View Post
    And I thought he's only there because he's horse died as he rode past the saloon next to the NT HQ...

Cheers,
    Mike
    It never died the ik/fk broke down (",)

Why has this changed?... [/I]?
    Exactly. Why do some people still think we should get "all that was offered for Core 1.0" in exchange for the change in plan? As much as I wanted Core I never thought it was going to be all that awesome at the start. It was going to take years for Core to approach the functionality of LW10 as it is now. That is almost like going backwards in some areas.
    Stripped of the sales talk, Rob's statements don't really say a whole lot, and he admits that himself, but I sure don't think he will want us to feel cheated by all this. My speculation is that by the time of LW11 (and having to pay for the upgrade) we will have been given a chance to test all the features Rob hints at for the future.
    I will miss Core, but I'll live with it.
    Mac OS 10.10.5 Yosemite, 2.66 GHz Core 2 duo, 4 GB RAM,ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Steve check around and you'll see that lot of users still think they'll get 10.2, 10.3 and even 10.5 with lot of features which they think it should be free updates . And i cant' blame them for feeling that way considering PDF for 1.0 . Agian NT should "manage expectations" more clear and sooner than later .
    http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpos...3&postcount=28

According to Chuck we won't have to pay for any amount of point updates until it reaches LW11. Then the next 5 paid updates are at the discount price.

Edit: The link is in the HC forum. Sorry.
    Last edited by DBMiller; 06-27-2011 at 08:19 AM.
    Mac OS 10.10.5 Yosemite, 2.66 GHz Core 2 duo, 4 GB RAM,ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DBMiller View Post

According to Chuck we won't have to pay for any amount of point updates until it reaches LW11. Then the next 5 paid updates are at the discount price.

And can you tell from that part will there be any more point updates (beside 10.1 in works) till LW 11 ? i.e. what gives you idea there will be more 10.x updates after 10.1 ? Maybe it'll be LW11 right after i.e. paid update ? Anything is possible from now on and nobody guarantees many free .x updates as before (9.x series was very generous of NT) and if you consider when did NT last time got money (at beginning of HC i.e. 2.5 years ago) it's understandable from business point that next one is paid upgrade - or?
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Traitor

You're assuming, of course, that there are going to be point upgrades between 10.1 and 11.

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    I know you're just being facetious, and it's true that CORE as a releasable standalone has been dropped, but the fact remains that the majority of the work seen in CORE until now was modeling related.

The dev team (and official statements) indicate that this body of work can and will be redeployed as an integrated part of LW. You're right that it remains to be seen how quickly and how well this proves out from a practical development standpoint.

Actually, I'd go for technically correct rather than facetious, my comment was they had dropped CORe as a product. Now, yes, the *intent* is to eventually combine it all into Lightwave, but my point still stands, the question is, how long that will take.
    Nothing facetious about it.
    Question - does CORE as a product still exist? Answer - NO, emphatically.

Does CORE tech exist, sure it does. Will CORE tech find it's way fully into LW10 and will the features displayed in the basic CORE be in 10.1 / 10.2 et al?
    Place your bets, my money is on NO - especially given as the line seems to clearly be no new features in the 10.x builds.
    So, if no new features in LW10 - how CAN the likes of bullet physics end up in it? Unless I'm missing something very subtle in the communications coming from Newtek employees here that is.

EDIT: for clarity - I am stating the LW10.X updates here - NOT where Lightwave will end up in the future.
    Last edited by colkai; 06-27-2011 at 09:09 AM.
    Too old to die young.

I started to understand more and more their(Newtek) decisions about swapping the parts of LW10 with Core tech, seems it's gonna be much faster than releasing fully functioning CORE, soooo all in all they've got my trust and I truly believe it could be done and I will be more happy to fork out additional few bucks to update my v.8.

Imagine that - having an 'old looking' LW with giga-polygon CORE under the hood(copied that term from XSI - casue I like it ) it's almost like driving a VW beetle from '64 with Gallardo engine

Quote Originally Posted by colkai View Post
    Question - does CORE as a product still exist? Answer - NO, emphatically.
    Actually, it does - and will continue to do so for some indefinite period, but as an application for use only, not offered for sale in a release form. But let's not quibble over semantics.

Quote Originally Posted by colkai View Post
    Place your bets, my money is on NO
    As is mine, as I have clearly said many times.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by 50one View Post
    ..... LW10 with Core tech, seems it's gonna be much faster than releasing fully functioning CORE.........
    ..........Imagine that - having an 'old looking' LW with giga-polygon CORE under the hood(copied that term from XSI - casue I like it ) it's almost like driving a VW beetle from '64 with Gallardo engine
    Hehehe and that's based on what Fact ? What if that "gigaPOLY" ability existed in CORE app already ? Would it then also be faster to put it in Layout later (assuming all will go smooth and compatible there and in some distant future which we don't know when ) then releasing CORE ?

Guess what, we will not know which way is/would be faster since they opted just for one way so we can't compare speed of implementation features anymore .
    RAM-Studio

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Hehehe and that's based on what Fact ? What if that "gigaPOLY" ability existed in CORE app already ? Would it then also be faster to put it in Layout later (assuming all will go smooth and compatible there and in some distant future which we don't know when ) then releasing CORE ?

Guess what, we will not know which way is/would be faster since they opted just for one way so we can't compare speed of implementation features anymore .
    Facts? BTW. I haven't heard any facts from NT for the past three years(nicht, zil, nada just the hush hush from the guys at beta) since I was waiting till 1 am to see that god damn countdown timer coming to zero and than... nothing LOL.

We're all playing a game of assumptions and speaking loudly what are we wishing for.

I wish the Classic LW will be released soon(sooner than CORE was meant to be released) an it will be stable, will play nice with other apps out there, render engine gonna be updated, new shading networks introduced, History stack implemented. Modeler gonna get major overhaul, ..yeah just a 'few' wishes.

Would these 5 paid update discount be only for previous CORE owners or anyone who has 10.x?

"Once one can articulate an important idea into a concise statement, then one can use the statement and not have to have the fear of changing behavior." - Ed Catmull on Pixar creativity

Quote Originally Posted by 50one View Post
    Facts? BTW. I haven't heard any facts from NT for the past three years(nicht, zil, nada just the hush hush from the guys at beta) since I was waiting till 1 am to see that god damn countdown timer coming to zero and than... nothing LOL.
    So you didn't go for hardCORE program then? That would explain your so-so information's then. I'll say no more than "..oh boy if you only know" .
    RAM-Studio

So you didn't go for hardCORE program then? That would explain your so-so information's then. I'll say no more than "..oh boy if you only know"
    I hate you.....

Nah, I'm still on v.8, as I said earlier on I will be happy to fork out few bucks more to get the 10 or 11 with the cool stuff in it.

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast