Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Amleto End of project for me

Amleto End of project for me

Hi all,

I developed quiet a few years ago a distributed render system called Amleto which you can check here:
    http://www.nodalideas.com/amleto/index.html

As I don't have time nor willingness to continue the development I'm ready to give the sources and rights to anyone willing to pick it up. My last version (not visible on the site) do support LW 10 but this will be the last version from me.

Anyone interested (or Newtek themselves) can contact me. You must have Visual Studio Pro (express edition will NOT work), and you should have a good knowledge of C# to be able to pick it up.

The sources and soft comes as is, no modifications no support nothing. On the other side I don't request any payment nor royalties. It's a free give away. On the other side I hope the person / group / company picking it up will continue to offer it to the community (free or not) and not simply let it die as I could do that as well without any help...

Contact me at [email protected] for questions or post here.

BTW if you are interested to continue the work on any of the other plugins I own, we can as well discuss it. All will be stopped.

Alain Bertrand

Banned
    Hi,

Alain, it's a pity to see all that great work you did on Amleto and your plugins lost.

Can I make a suggestion? Why not publish them on google code under an open source license compatible with LightWave, like LGPL or BSD ( I think Mike Wolf will suggest the last one).

In that way more than one person can access to the source code modify it and improve it.

David

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    It's a shame to see a developer go.

I'd suggest a BSD style project (as David said) - I'd also be quite curious to have a peek at it - if only to hone my mad C# skillz and because I'm nosy

Cheers,
    Mike - michael(dot)wolf(at)db-w(dot)com

Wonder if Denis P would be interested, but as has been said very sad indeed to see you go mate, i used to use visual texture allot but now im 64 bit.
    Last edited by JohnMarchant; 06-24-2011 at 07:08 AM.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    Wonder if Denis P would be interested, but as has been said very sad indeed to see you go mate, i used to use visual texture allot but now im 64 bit.
    Sorry but Denis has a big limitation and is that he depends on other people to compile 64 bits and for the Mac. That is why I suggested a BSD project on Google code.

It doesn't costs anything to Alain to do it, and it allows a lot more of people to have a look to the code to see if is feasible to update it or continue it, or even use it as a base to rewrite it from scratch.

David

In principle I'm not against giving all as open source. The issue with open source software is that if there is no "leader" it tends to die very quickly. So if somebody is willing to pick the source and then lead the open source then I have no issues to give it for that. As said, if I do this move it is to try to avoid to let the thing die and because I don't want to continue myself to support it. So no way I give it as open source and then continue to develop it to make the story clear.

Now for the mac support, even if C# code should run on Mac thanks to Mono (a free implementation of .NET) I have no clues how well Amleto would run on it.

Lightwolf: if you want a peak at the code, let me know, I could arrange it... but don't expect many comments, I'm a lazy coder without much commenting in his code.

For Visual Texture, I could give away the base engine but not the textures themselves as they are not under my own copyright.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by garg View Post
    In principle I'm not against giving all as open source. The issue with open source software is that if there is no "leader" it tends to die very quickly. So if somebody is willing to pick the source and then lead the open source then I have no issues to give it for that. As said, if I do this move it is to try to avoid to let the thing die and because I don't want to continue myself to support it. So no way I give it as open source and then continue to develop it to make the story clear.

Now for the mac support, even if C# code should run on Mac thanks to Mono (a free implementation of .NET) I have no clues how well Amleto would run on it.

Lightwolf: if you want a peak at the code, let me know, I could arrange it... but don't expect many comments, I'm a lazy coder without much commenting in his code.

For Visual Texture, I could give away the base engine but not the textures themselves as they are not under my own copyright.
    Hi Alain,

I understand what you mean. In my case the plugin I will be more interested to peek in is source code is Amelie. I think it offers something very unique.

I was suspecting that Visual Texture will be out of the table because it links itself a lot to IFW. I know because I bought a copy from you a few months before NewTek announced their nodal support (sigh)

I'm sure you know that Mike's has a C++ wrapper to LW's SDK. I was wondering if you would mind to put Amelie under the same BSD license and that way we (Mike, me ans some others that contribute to the wrapper) and transform it as a FULL sample for the wrapper. I know the wrapper grows slowly but at least in that way Amelie can survive, specially after the recent events I think Mik'es wrapper is going to be a very good and proved alternative to those wanting to do LW plugins on C++.

ALL his d&w plugins (Infinimap, ExTrader, etc) use the wrapper.

I'm sure Mike wouldn't mind to create a d&w free version of Amelie. If you will agree with it, I will compromise myself to do the initial port to Mikes wrapper (after seeing the code, it slightly scares me that there are not many comments on it). I just checked Amelies features and all those are 100% functional on Mike's wrapper.

What do you think?

David
    Last edited by dballesg; 06-24-2011 at 07:40 AM.

In principle I'm not against giving all as open source. The issue with open source software is that if there is no "leader" it tends to die very quickly.
    Absolutely. And I sure ain't volunteering either
    Good code doesn't need comments...

I'll shoot you a mail...

Cheers
    Mike

dballesg: fine for me for Amelie, just send me an email and I will answer you with the code of amelie, and then feel free to port it to C++ or other.

Lightwolf: sent you a copy.

Thanks, I got it. I look forward to dissecting it.

Cheers,
    Mike

Banned
    dballesg: fine for me for Amelie, just send me an email and I will answer you with the code of amelie, and then feel free to port it to C++ or other.

e-mail sent. Thanks a lot for it Alain.

Best regards ,
    David

Banned
    Hi again,

Alain did you received my e-mail?

David

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf View Post
    Good code doesn't need comments...
    That's why I comment my code as if I where writing the next War and Peace
    I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. - Albert Einstein
    visit my company site : House of Secrets
    visit my personal site : svenneve.com

dballesg: yes and I sent you back the code. You didn't got it?

Banned
    dballesg: yes and I sent you back the code. You didn't got it?
    Hi Alain,

No I didn't received it, and I checked the spam filters. In fact I still have old messages from you concerning Amleto. Is strange. Can you sent it again?

Thanks in advance
    David

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast