Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Amleto End of project for me

Opening and loading a bunch of scenes in layout to check which ones to render then have to do the same in a render controller browsing directories, etc, the time really adds up.
    Sending it from layout shaves a lot of time wasted doing that.
    The script I posted works like that for backburner controller. But its broken and can't do nth frame rendering.
    Too bad about the preview but its lwsn limitation.

I recently gave Amleto a go. It was very easy to setup the client/server side. I did run into an issue with textures not rendering. Not sure why, because it copied them from my local directory to the clients "C" directory? Any Ideas?

Also is there a way to have Amleto pull the content from the network instead of copying from the local directory? So it would only copy the plugins, lwsn,etc. but it will just grab the maps for a network defined location? That's how backburner works and it's nice not to have it clone and copy a bunch of maps.

Thanks for any help!

Quote Originally Posted by GraphXs View Post
    I recently gave Amleto a go. It was very easy to setup the client/server side. I did run into an issue with textures not rendering. Not sure why, because it copied them from my local directory to the clients "C" directory? Any Ideas?

Also is there a way to have Amleto pull the content from the network instead of copying from the local directory? So it would only copy the plugins, lwsn,etc. but it will just grab the maps for a network defined location? That's how backburner works and it's nice not to have it clone and copy a bunch of maps.

Thanks for any help!
    No ideas regarding the textures not rendering, but having Amleto grab everything from the network would be VERY beneficial for us too. Only issue being that I think LWSN (which is basically what Amleto controls) hates spaces in file names, and there may be in some of our files. Any way around that?

But being on a gigabit network, it would be useful to grab it all from there!!
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Are the texture's that are missing part of the content directory? If they are not within the content directory Amleto will not copy them to the client for rendering.

I'm not sure how much work it would be to get Amleto to load the scenes from a network location but i could have a look into it in the future.
    Amleto Network Renderer

Coolio! That would be amazing if you could Steve!

Desk Work:
    Desk Home:

While I agree with the request, I would suggest that some of the user community consider meeting half way. It is not Amleto nor LWSN who are causing the described difficulty, it is the use of "space" as a character in the naming of files and folders. If you look down on your keyboard, there is no "character" on the spacebar, it is a visual convention for our use. When I teach this stuff, the use of network resources immediately invokes the rules of naming, because many (most?? Linux??) servers are both case sensitive and "space" sensitive. Check out an ASCII chart, capital letters are assigned a different number than lowercase numbers. The "rules" of naming are, lowercase only, no "funny" characters (%^&*$#?|) and only the hyphen(-) and underscore(_) for name separators. When doing web pages, it often trips up newbies, if there is any discrepancy between case in the code and the files posted. It will work locally, thus the deception to the developer, but once posted to the server, the images and links won't work. And notice, that the server tries to help by placing a %20 in the stream to account for the space character. Same thing with Python scripts across networks. It is a good habit which limits the stumbles when networks are involved.
    An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind... Gandhi/MLKing
    Greater consciousness is worth the effort. Be aware.... so sayest the Animated Fool ~ HARTWORKS www.hartworks.net

At work we never use spaces. We always use underscores. As for the textures, yes they do copy to the clients local User directory. Could it because I'm in demo mode? Thanks for a possible future solution for only looking into one network directory for getting textures.
    Last edited by GraphXs; 01-13-2012 at 03:32 PM.

To be clear, it makes sense for it to copy the assets it needs to render like the scene and the objects. It would just be nice if the textures could be grabbed from a network location defined by me in the tool. I suppose it would be sweet if any of the content could be a network User define path. My goal is just to use the same path for textures when we use Max and backburner, so I don't have to clone all the textures. Again, thanks for looking into a future build.

We try never to use spaces in anything, BUT occasionally they slip in... so it's ALWAYS better to allow for that kind of functionality than to not.

I know internally in 3dsmax, everry time you type a space in an object name, or anywhere else for that matter, it stores it as %20 (or whatever it is), so if you have tens of thousands of objects with a space in the name, going through and batch renaming used to speed scenes up!! Crazy! Not sure it's the same these days, but it used to be an issue 5 or so years ago!

Desk Work:
    Desk Home:

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112