Thread: folds in drapes

folds in drapes

How does one make the cloth fold like cloth over a ball. I can make the cloth drape over a ball, but the cloth does not have folds as it settles down over the ball. I tripled my cloth to have more ploys, but it still a plane straight drop after it drapes the ball.

You could try adding more areas of details with the Wrinkle plug-in. So instead of just adding more geometry all over you put it in specific areas.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

where is this plug in, is it in modeler or layout. I can not find it as Wrinkle? thanks

No wrinkles. Perhaps you don't have high enough resolution and too much stretchiness? What about friction on ball vs cloth? There are lots of parameters and not enough users. Try searching this and the old forum. The old forum had some great posts on the subject just before it was replaced. It should be available from somewhere.

That said, the algorithms in ClothFX are from the previous century so don't expect super realistic or speedy results up to todays standards. But it is still (sadly) the most realistic plugin of the FX-bunch.

PS. Wrinkle I believe might be a reference to a commercial TrueArts plugin which is basically a bevel tool. Ie, it adds detail and you can control inset, offset and segments. So despite what the name suggests it doesn't magically create (nice) wrinkles. The suggestion is really about adding detail to the mesh where you want the wrinkles to appear, perhaps even bias the mesh wireframe so they get a certain appareance. So just use any tool to add the detail. Personally I think that might be a lost cause since the dynamics is far too unpredictable and a natural winkle pattern far too intricate. But I never tried it. (Almost) Everything is worth a try.
    Last edited by evenflcw; 06-18-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lreyes View Post
    where is this plug in, is it in modeler or layout. I can not find it as Wrinkle? thanks
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. As evenflcw said, it's the TrueArt plug-in but you could add more detail with the native Modeler tools too. Using this method is more about giving ClothFX varied geometry to work with versus making an 100% accurate simulation.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

First you have to have enough geometry to get wrinkles then in the clothfx settings you have to lower the stretch limit to something low like 0.001-1%. Then you also have to have a high compress stress value like 200-5000%.
    you should also have some higher spring value like 500-5000%
    Hopefully this will help you on the way.

I will try the last poster advise..thanks