Thread: Solution for "Poor Mans" VGA scaler to SD or HD Tricasters

Solution for "Poor Mans" VGA scaler to SD or HD Tricasters

I thought I'd share a solution for a inexpensive way to use computer "iVGA" sources with a scaler instead so you can free up your limited iVGA inputs (like for LiveText)

I use two computer outputs for my broadcasts (one for skype video and one for internet media playback) but my Tricaster XD300 only has ONE Network input which makes it impossible to use the switcher to switch between my two iVGA sources. I would have to grab the mouse and select the different iVGA sources from the dropdown menu during a live broadcast to switch between them. This was very bad. Also this would disable the ability to use LIVETEXT on the Network input as well.

The only option is to buy scalers for your computer sources and use them on the camera inputs on the tricaster. The option that was presented to me was to buy some type of VGA/DVI to SDI converter/scaler. These are the best quality but cost upwards of $300 for each input.

My solution to do this cost me only $60 per input and seems to work well for what I do.

First I bought a $50 ATI video card from Wal-Mart online to put inside the PCs

http://www.walmart.com/ip/XFX-Radeon...i_sku=15172685

Then I bought this special 7 pin "S-video" connector to component HD out connector from ebay for $1.99 (Yep $2)

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Sapphire-ATi...58602790724629

This connector will pull HD 1080i or 720p video that is compatible with the tricaster component inputs. It is probably not as a good as an SDI scaler...but for component output it is very clean. It also still lets you use your computer monitors via the DVI output. SET THE CARD TO DUAL MONITOR CLONE MODE in the drivers.

So Basically for $60 I now have a "HD 1080i/720p" scaler and can free up my NETWORK input on the Tricaster to use for LiveText overlay.
    Last edited by davedude; 06-08-2011 at 03:06 PM.