Thread: Help with rigging a motorcycle

Help with rigging a motorcycle

Hi all. I'm rigging my bike, not sure how to go about it. Would appreciate any advice.

You can see the different parts that are setup. I've already got the wheels turning based on position using Relativity.

I'd like have the front wheel and shocks slide up and down depending on the rotation bouncing of the bike along the Y axis.

The part that needs to move is the wheel hub (the blue item). It's set up so it only has to move along Y local axis (it's already rotated into place).

The gotcha is I want it to end and stop at a point in the up and down, so that if the bike catches air, the wheel will still travel with the bike.

Any thoughts? Is IK the way to go here? How do I constrain the item to it's local Y axis only?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2011-06-03 at 3.48.55 AM.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	336.4 KB 
ID:	95682  

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    You can't constrain things, manage, or do pretty much anything else on items local or world axis (other than reference those values)... only on their parent axis.

So what you want to do is create a parent item for the bit you need to move and rotate it appropiately so as the intended items parent axis Y is pointing int he correct direction, and then use the limits option in the position controller tab to limit its range of movement on that axis.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Thanks for that. Works great.

Here's a little demo of the rig in action if anyone is interested.

http://www.oddballanimation.com/archives/1650

That's pretty cool! Nice bike too
    Win7 64/Core i7-975 3.33GHz/12GB RAM/GTX 670 2GB/Wacom Intuos4 M
    I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live - Jesus Christ