Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I don't feel the LW 9.x series was completed.

I don't feel the LW 9.x series was completed.

I don't feel the LW 9.x series was adequately bug-free and stable before the company moved on to LW10

discuss.

with thanks to SBowie and EmperorPete
    Last edited by littlewaves; 05-24-2011 at 09:34 AM.

hmmmm... I guess it depends on what you are mainly using LW for... I've been around since version LW 7 and I feel the 9x series is the most stable build I've worked with so far. And further more if I compare that to other programs like 3DSmax wich seems to get a kick out of crashing every now and then, I can also compare it to AutoCAD wich is fairly stable but still crashes way more often than LW 9.6. I've also had a few more crashes on Modo401 than I've had on 9.6.

That said, I must admit that being a LW user first an foremost I've probably gotten to know more of how it works under the hood so I don't go and do crazy operation's that I simply just know beforehand that will crash LW. I'd say that most of my crashes in LW revolve around 3rd party plug-ins, complex dynamics systems and LWmodeller crashing when doing operations on dense poligonal meshes. Also I've heard that fiberFX used to be a pain in the back-end but I really can't say since I've only just scratched it's surface and haven't gotten around to incorporate it into my daily workflow.

Nevermind lw what's the deal with the buggy forum double posting.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlineRender View Post
    fixed ...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by OnlineRender View Post
    sorry, my bad

Quote Originally Posted by littlewaves View Post
    sorry, my bad
    not your fault mate , the forum has been spitting out double posts for a few weeks now

borkalork BORKALORK! biliousfrog's Avatar
    Whether it was adequately bug free and stable or not is fairly meaningless. The fact of the matter is that those bugs and stability issues were reported and worked on for 18 months with promise of a more stable and less-buggy 'free' update to owners of LW 9.x...instead those bug reports and stability fixes were moved into LW10 and charged extra for.

So, to answer the title of this thread...you're correct, the LW 9.x series wasn't completed. The final product was not delivered as per the promises given, it was altered to a paid upgrade with the only explaination being, "you've had enough free updates, be greatful".

oh corks
    5.91 was the most stable version ever.

All 3D suites have their own sets of bugs, and it's an ongoing process fixing them up. Nothing as complex as a 3D package is ever going to be completely bug free, but at some point it's just time to move on to the next version. It is what it is.

I'm trying to follow this, really, not be argumentative, but - is it all that unusual for some bugs to survive into the next integer upgrade, and even longer? Or be first addressed in a later version?

I'm pretty sure there are still some items remaining to be dealt with in 10.x (or whenever) that long predate version 9, or even earlier releases. Not saying that's an ideal scenario, but it doesn't seem all that heinous to me. (I know I've seen some of my own bug reports that weren't addressed in a release dropped into the "Future" bin on Fogbugz, for example.) As annoying as this can be when it's an issue that bugs you personally, it doesn't seem exceptional in the industry.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by biliousfrog View Post
    Whether it was adequately bug free and stable or not is fairly meaningless. The fact of the matter is that those bugs and stability issues were reported and worked on for 18 months with promise of a more stable and less-buggy 'free' update to owners of LW 9.x...instead those bug reports and stability fixes were moved into LW10 and charged extra for.
    So, to answer the title of this thread...you're correct, the LW 9.x series wasn't completed. The final product was not delivered as per the promises given, it was altered to a paid upgrade with the only explaination being, "you've had enough free updates, be greatful".
    Basically, this. Newtek got us to find the bugs and then took all that information, charged all over again for it, and left us without an update to the product we'd already paid for.
    Newtek's handling of this entire thing has been pathetic. I'll be thinking long and hard before I pay for the privilege of being left high and dry all over again.
    STUDIO DRAVEN
    Building giant robots since 1996
    Intel Core i7 950
    6Gb RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 9800GT
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I'm trying to follow this, really, not be argumentative, but - is it all that unusual for some bugs to survive into the next integer upgrade, and even longer? Or be first addressed in a later version?

I'm pretty sure there are still some items remaining to be dealt with in 10.x (or whenever) that long predate version 9, or even earlier releases. Not saying that's an ideal scenario, but it doesn't seem all that heinous to me. (I know I've seen some of my own bug reports that weren't addressed in a release dropped into the "Future" bin on Fogbugz, for example.) As annoying as this can be when it's an issue that bugs you personally, it doesn't seem exceptional in the industry.
    sure that's a fair point but asking people to beta test with the promise being they'll get another free point upgrade out of it (just bug fixes- not asking for features here) and then going back on that but fixing the bugs in a paid update is different issue (IMHO)

Oh wait! I mentioned "beta"! Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    The point is that we were told it would be an update for what we already had, and instead it turned into an update for the next version, meaning that if we wanted the benefit of our own beta testing we'd have to pay all over again. That hardly sounds right, does it?
    STUDIO DRAVEN
    Building giant robots since 1996
    Intel Core i7 950
    6Gb RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 9800GT
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

TrueArt Support
    I don't feel the LW 9.x series was adequately bug-free and stable before the company moved on to LW10
    Major version bumping means something big has been added to application. VPR truly deserve this. Not to mention adding color spaces.

For me v9.6 has been always stable. Can't complain for crashes.

What people believe as Lw v9.x bugs, often are not bugs like f.e. edge weighting.

Looking back at past updates since I started with Lightwave at 6.5, I have to say that clearly the best advancements and improvements to the program were made during the 9.x period. I'm including LW10 in that too. Not that 10 isn't fine, it is. But given that CORE is yet to be delivered in a release version yet, I will just say that the verdict is out on that one still.

But as far as finished, I think 9.6 is good enough considering all the improvements given, and ready to move onto the next version.

Oh wait! I mentioned "beta"! Sorry!
    Banned.

--
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast