Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: 1001 ways to use LW and Blender together

i wonder if whatever he is doing can be applied to the lw render engine? this stuff open source, isn’t it?

Awesome, tho' do note it requires a Ca$hy computer also.

LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    i wonder if whatever he is doing can be applied to the lw render engine? this stuff open source, isn’t it?
    Isnīt this off topic? consdiering it isnīt about working with Lightwave and blender together?
    But donīt worry...Iīm not going to persecute you for this, others have been on my furry tail for similar things for a while now so I am not going to police you in a rude way or provocative way...we have Sbowie alive and kicking for that doing his job.(policing..but not being rude that is)
    I am just a pain in the..today

So for contributing to 1001 ways to use Lightwave and blender again.
    I just tested the ol germinator L-system again, with lw modeler 2019.1.5, itīs an old lscript so it works ..and not only that, I found out that Lightwave and teh blender 2.83 release now seem to work correctly with OD copy and paste of polylines, previously they didnīt and I had to export to obj format.

when using Germinator in lightwave modeler, you can go to options and check polylines or skelegons or both, once you have loaded your axiom preset (ls) or entered your own values manually, and it has been created, it will do so with polygon mesh as well.

The problem with that meshing is that branches will intersect/overlap in the uggliest way..without no smooth joint merging, that is why I OD and copy and paste it in to blender for skinning, itīs the only way I think, so unless someone writes a skinning system, using blender skinning with lightwave germinator L-system is a way to go, another way may be to use the vdb tools..but Havenīt tried it..this seems smoother and faster for now.
    So yes..it all works nicely that way.

The image as you can see from the wires, it is skelegons, which means you could use that with ik-booster in layout, or just rotate the bones..but of course you need to skin it somewhere first and paste that back to lightwave, you can also choose to just use polylines.
    Since the plugin doesnīt have an option to exclude polygon mesh creation..and yields that uggly intersection, I use the vertex panel statistics to delete them, either by selecting skelegons or polygons with 2 vertices and invert selection and delete the other polygons..which only leaves the skelegons or polylines left, then Od copy and paste to blender, blender seem to yield a sort of error message, but ignore it..it does work.
    Once in blender and adding skin modifier you need to ctrl-a scale it..IN EDIT MODE..and not s- scale it.

Attaching the bourke bush preset if anyone wantīs to look at it, for more L-system presets, you would have to look around and find out more about L-system, look at various axioms and look for samples of that, but there is some samples in the packet of seeds folder when you unpack the germinator zip file.

For trees and such..one would probably mostly like to use verdure or pawel olas tree generators, but I think itīs a bit interesting to control axioms exactly and not going the random and mesh guided route.
    Here is the link to the germinator plugin..so if you do not have it..try it, load my attached file with the load preset button, or use some of those in the seed packet folder.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/p...ry/germinator/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lsystem bush.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	147866

Name:	Germinator L-system bush.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	272.8 KB 
ID:	147867
    Attached Files Attached Files

And remember that you can also run germinator on selected faces on a mesh segment, in this case..from two selected faces of a dodecahedron..and it builds up the basic tree from two selected positions.
    Still uggly intersections..which you would have a hard time and a lot of work to fuse in lighwave..but can be avoided if you do the skinning in blender.

Name:	basic tree on two faces of dodecahedron.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	147870

Way too blocky in quality, so I need to adress that with some lower size of the voxels, and perhaps some other settings..but just testing.
    And gas solver simulation in Lightwave sent to blender as vdb and imported through the blenders 2.83 new vdb importer.
    Rendered out with Blenders cycles GPU.
    And domain was a bit small on the sides, 10x20x10m

Now..the gas solver is a bit special in the sense that I can use particles as forces..so an emitter with 20 particles set to explode, that will be fed in to the gas solvers force grid, NOT generation grid.
    This means I will not get any blobs, which I would have gotten if I would use just particles as source for the fluids in blender.(or the same for Lightwave that is with particle source)
    So no other force than just the explosion force from the emitter, and of course, the actual settings within the gas solver with a little bouyance is there as well.

Now I at least got a workaround for the principle shader in blender, it doesnīt react properly with just the blackbody settings..I did workarounds by using the emission channel only and setting up a node blackbody instead, and with curves, contrast nodes and density attributes..I seem to have gotten a decent shading..which I also can control nicely.

Youtube description..
    Lightwave gas solver simulation saved as VDB and imported to Blender VDB for rendering.
    Just testing a bit, a lot to be adressed for better quality.
    Previously I just couldnīt get the fire shader going, unlike imports from embergen or houdini ..which works just direcly when setting the blackbody in the principle shader, so I had to override this by just using the emission color and strenght with temp attributes and a seperate blackbody node fed in to emission color instead, also a curve so you can adjust the amount of smoke vs fire etc..so that is promising, though I still would like to know why it isnīt working the same as for embergen o houdini.

To note, why o why use this gas solver in Lightwave you may ask, it is slow to simulate and display isnīt nice to look at while simulating...well, the lightwave gas solver is nodal only, and I can use particles as a force (not generation) which actually is a more correct way to set up an explosion force, unless messing around with other forces which can be very hard in blender, but with this, i simply set the particles to explode..and use from particles node, and feed it in to the gas solvers force grid, not as a generator..the gas solver will then just react to the particles force and size..but it will not yield any uggly blobs as if you were to use particles as a source in blender, or in lightwave for that matter.
    The gas solver is a bit Unique in that feature.

But I need higher resolution and some other things to adress before I can see this as a good option, Embergen is also on my list to check, but trying to have options within lightwave solely is needed, especially if you would like to use particle spawning when other particles die out by collision, or use a collision object to trigger the particles..and those particles then just starts the initial blast of the gas solver fluids.

The rendering is better to do in Blender for me, using GPU will render this faster than I can in Lightwave, and with volume bounces much faster as well, and the actual setup with the shading is easier to control...that is why I do not stay in Lightwave for the rendering of it all.
    But still...leveraging the advantage of this particle force option that the Lightwave gas solver has, and also because I think they screwed things up a bit with mantaflow being so buggy and not able to replay cache properly..thus using Lightwave gas solver.

So a way to use LW and Blender together...when they both lack in various areas for what I need.

For those who are coming from LightWave and want to learn a bit more about Blender, I've started a playlist on my youtube channel. I'm trying to do one a day as I have time, but its meant to frame learning how to use Blender coming from LightWave. Its's not a comparison between the two apps, just sort of a wrapping your head around Blender from a LW users perspective.
    Right now, there's about 10 videos up and its mainly basic stuff right now as I'm assuming no knowledge of Blender but will try and cover more advanced topics later.
    If you have any comments or suggestions, please comment on the youtube Channel as I don't come to the NT forums much.
    Playlist is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7OC...TA6P9cGyDbV0W1

Found a growing youtube playlist that helps seasoned Lightwaver's take advantage of some extra tools like UV editing, sculpting, 2d animation/drawing, gpu rendering, video editing, compositing, motion tracking found over in Blender 2.8 to add to lightwaves excellent set of tools.
    The intro vids just get up up to speed getting around the u.i and how you can use your Lightwave knowledge in another app to maximise your capabilities of making great art.

Last edited by cresshead; 06-15-2020 at 10:15 AM.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

NewTek take notes >

This guy worked at DreamWorks and talks about CA workflows, and feature requests + features.

I could have posted this under feature requests perhaps, but didn't wanna fill the FR session with lots of Blender stuff.

(feel free to move this post)

Last edited by erikals; 07-03-2020 at 06:28 AM.

good luck with that.

he talks about the manipulation of objects and the manipulators. qwerty selection and move scale rotate.
    also mentions the multi select parameters and middle mouse drag changing, editing transform values at same time (eg xyz rotations) via channel box
    all been requested with images illustrating this stuff.

wasting. your. time.

they don’t care and don’t want to know, it’s a shame but it’s the way it is with decades of requests by multiple users to back that statement up.

stuff regarding graph editor, manipulations and lattice is great but again, nobody is going to do anything.

reading the comments, there a couple of in built features and add-ons that will address some of blenders shortcomings.

meanwhile, as he alluded to, blender dev will listen and do something..
    Last edited by gar26lw; 07-03-2020 at 11:03 PM.

well, you should notice that there are things where LW is better also.

it is not a one way street, cause then we wouldn't be here, would we ?  

of course but there is a huge shortcoming in feature request implementation, hence this thread and blender proliferation, exodus of users etc..

As I have found myself picking up Blender as a Just-In-Case thing, I've noted that the lwo->blender importer doesn't handle discontinuous UVs at all. Is there a version that does, or should I go the Lw -> Blender via FBX?
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryslin View Post
    As I have found myself picking up Blender as a Just-In-Case thing, I've noted that the lwo->blender importer doesn't handle discontinuous UVs at all. Is there a version that does, or should I go the Lw -> Blender via FBX?
    Did you try obj format?

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast