Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: 1001 ways to use LW and Blender together

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Why not correct? That's what I would expect to happen, l

LWO2 opens fine in 2.79 (not in 2.80 because it's removed).

LWO3 dies not work in any application as far as I know (tested Cinema 4D, Substance Painter, 3D Coat, Vue or Terragen).
    You said it yourself in a way I found contradictory, that it wasnīt Blender devs fault, but the change of the lwo format, so how is it then that blender 2.7.9 imports the lwo2 2015 format..while blender 2.8 doesnīt...isnīt that an issue with the old lwo format not working in blender? and actually something the blender devs screwed up for 2.8
    The new lwo format is one thing, the fact that blender 2.8 no longer imports the older format either while the older 2.79 version does.. is a different matter.

To quote you"Well the omission of LWO support is not really Blenders fault but more down to NewTek changing the format. "

Ah yes forgot about that, thanks. Is ODCopyPaste easy to use? Might test that later.
    You do not use shortcuts, you need to use buttons in object/ copy and paste from blender, then switch to lightwave and use paste from external, and the same the other way aroun, use od tools buttons copy and paste in modeler, switch window to blender and go to object/paste from external.
    Quite nice if you use ant landscape premade landscapes, and copy and paste to lightwave, and you can paste both in modeler or in layout.

I'm not at a computer to check...but couldn't any of us take the LWO import addon from 2.79 and copy it to 2.80? Was there such a change that it doesn't work in 2.80?

...and 2.80 may have it but not enabled by default.
    LW7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Well the omission of LWO support is not really Blenders fault but more down to NewTek changing the format.

Several applications do or did support the LWO format (for example Cinema 4D, Substance Painter, 3D Coat, Vue or Terragen) but none of them updated their import modules for the new LW 2018+ / LWO3 format.
    Modo added LWO3 support in Modo 12. But that's the only app I know of that does.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    You said it yourself in a way I found contradictory, that it wasnīt Blender devs fault, but the change of the lwo format, so how is it then that blender 2.7.9 imports the lwo2 2015 format..while blender 2.8 doesnīt...isnīt that an issue with the old lwo format not working in blender? and actually something the blender devs screwed up for 2.8
    The new lwo format is one thing, the fact that blender 2.8 no longer imports the older format either while the older 2.79 version does.. is a different matter.

To quote you"Well the omission of LWO support is not really Blenders fault but more down to NewTek changing the format. "
    Ah that's what you meant. My answer for that is my previous post (which doesn't apply for 2.79 because the Blender devs were maybe not aware of LWO3 then):

Maybe the reason why they removed LWO(2) support is because users would try to open LWO(3) files and don't know why it's not working. These users might then claim that Blenders import is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Modo added LWO3 support in Modo 12. But that's the only app I know of that does.
    Thanks didn't know that. Nice of them and a smart move (imho) and would be good for Blender too as these 3 applications are used together often.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    You do not use shortcuts, you need to use buttons in object/ copy and paste from blender, then switch to lightwave and use paste from external, and the same the other way aroun, use od tools buttons copy and paste in modeler, switch window to blender and go to object/paste from external.
    Quite nice if you use ant landscape premade landscapes, and copy and paste to lightwave, and you can paste both in modeler or in layout.
    Thanks!

Thanks didn't know that. Nice of them and a smart move (imho) and would be good for Blender too as these 3 applications are used together often.
    I mean, it made sense for Modo to add it as people have used lwo as a object file outside of Modo's lxo since the beginning. Probably less sense for it to be on Blender's radar as fewer people are using LW these days. Substance painter also dropped the format.

Lwo2 import was Nice it even converted skelegons, but I can understand why it was removed since it was after all a legacy format. Hopefully the modern lightwave versions Become successful enough for people to go through the trouble of updating their importers/exporters.

for lwo2 this might work in Blender 2.8
    http://www.ewocprojects.be/lwoexport.html

for lwo 2018, not so sure.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

World's Tallest Dwarf safetyman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    I'm not at a computer to check...but couldn't any of us take the LWO import addon from 2.79 and copy it to 2.80? Was there such a change that it doesn't work in 2.80?

...and 2.80 may have it but not enabled by default.
    The Blender devs made fundamental changes to its code base, so most plugins will have to be updated. I'm not a programmer, but from what I gather it's not too terribly difficult to convert addons from 2.7x to 2.8x, depending on the addon of course.

On the subject of characters: Have a look at this... https://diffeomorphic.blogspot.com/2...rsion-131.html
    Combined with Daz|Studio, you can import the character models directly into Blender without having to export it to a 3rd format first. Then import Daz morphs, poses, expressions, clothing items etc. without having to go back to D|S.
    I haven't used LW in quite a while, but from Blender you could probably get something to import into LW without a lot of hassle?

Here is an import lwo addon for blender 2.80
    http://www.neko.ne.jp/~asagi/P2P/Plugins/blender.html

Cool.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube
    Lightwave3D 2019, RF10, Gaea and more..
    Threadripper 32 core , 48gb, GTX-1070
    Asus 752vt i7 2.6 x 4, 48gb, GTX-970

Re: Python script that loads Lightwave LWO files with Maya 2015/2018 or Blender 2.8.

awesome, thanks!

here is the UI import options translated to english:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	options.PNG 
Views:	134 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	145803
    Last edited by gar26lw; 08-23-2019 at 01:38 AM.

Awesome!

Is this classic lwo, or lwo2018 ?

Looks really powerful !
    Seems to be able to import Curves ?
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast