Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: 1001 ways to use LW and Blender together

Last edited by gar26lw; 01-30-2020 at 04:15 AM.

neat, reminds me of >

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

version 2

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

For anyone that regulary uses Lightwave and Blender together, and wish to continue do so so and not excluding the other etc, I would recommend changing the basic shortcuts for lightwave size, both in modeler and layout to simply "s" that will probably make it easier for you as well in Lightwave to brain connect to size with "s" ..and since blender already have that setup as default shortkeys, you will now be working with two environments working the same with sizing.

Screw "s" for save object...you will not use it as much as size anyway.
    So when changing size of anything in Lightwave and blender ..all you have to remember is "s" unless entering skin mode in blender, where "s" will size the segment such an edge, but it will not size the actual skin in proportion, when you select a point in a segment with a skin modifier, and want to scale up that as a joint, you should use ctrl-a

And with the latest Blender 2.83 betabuild..you have VDB import now..so worth to check it out.

T the speed of orbiting around dense vdb is very fast, and of course..rendertimes good with GPU for volumes and good
    multiple scattering in volume bounces.

So you can use Lightwaves gas solver and save out single vdb frames or sequences...One may think, why not just simulate in blender etc, fair enough for that..but I think it can expand on what you can do
    if using these two applications together, I like the soft whisps you get from gas solver (not impossible to do in blender fluids either of course) but anyway.
    And there is options to push gas solver with force field and particle input, which blender actually doesnīt have (blender uses particles for fluid emission, that is a different thing) with particles to force input for the gas solver, it will not yield any blobs or density based on the particle, it only uses it for the velocity force.

And if you are a hardcore particle user for lightwave with collision events, generate by particle collision etc and use that with gas solver, you may find cases where it may be easier to do that instead of working with particles in blender, which I sometimes feel can be a little limited as well.

So...great options to use these two great programs for interaction.
    (exporting fluid volumes from blender to lightwave has been possible for a long time now) but now we have the other way around solved.

Use the VDB node saver to save the vdb out, and plug it in to the emission and scattering grid for open VDB main output, and click or double click depending on node viewport, to save the vdb file out to desired folder.
    In blender, just go to add volume, and you will get a requester to load the VDB file and browse.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lightwave Gas solver.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	281.7 KB 
ID:	147682

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blender VDB from Lightwave gas solver.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	147683

Thats neat.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube
    Lightwave3D 2019, RF10, Gaea and more..
    Threadripper 32 core , 48gb, GTX-1070
    Asus 752vt i7 2.6 x 4, 48gb, GTX-970

Quote Originally Posted by lwanmtr View Post
    Thats neat.
    I must correct some things, you do not need this saver node if you simply just make sure to check save cache and use those files to load in to blender.

if you use this saver node..you would also have to plug the temperature in to the save new grid input, otherwise you will not get that temperature channel grid in to blender, and the saving also takes very long time, so if you have run the simulation to cache..that would be all actually.
    At least for sequences.

Tried the material shading, but itīs not that simple to get nice fire and smoke as if I were to import and use embergen samples, that looks great almost straight out of the box.
    Will have to test more tomorrow.

Blender's materials I'm still getting used to..some things I cant easily get to match LW's materials.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

Blender's materials I'm still getting used to..some things I cant easily get to match LW's materials.
    do you mean surface materials..
    or volumetric material?

I ment volumetric.

Both..hehe

i played with Blender's volumes a little...what i like is the speed..though I have a scene in LW where I got a very nice volume cloud (its on my other machine, so I cant share it right now).
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

Both..hehe

i played with Blender's volumes a little...what i like is the speed..though I have a scene in LW where I got a very nice volume cloud (its on my other machine, so I cant share it right now).
    You did use GPU right, for the speed? if not..do that..huge difference "probably" depends on your CPU power VS GPU power cuda cores etc.

As for volume cloud in Lightwave..VDB I suspect?
    you can not get standard primitive item volume exported as VDB, that is a no no..though I would surely love to have it if it was possible.
    But for that assumed VDB cloud, you donīt have to parse it through Lightwave..since it is VDB, just load it in to blender..that I wy I think you may be confusing the kind of nice cloud you have in LW to be something that could be exported to blender..most likely not if it is a typical primitive volume

And thinking twice..for me personally, I could think of using lw VDB tools for cloud sims, but not really for creating fire and smoke and explosions..and that is because I just canīt get the temp channels working properly, even though they are there when exported.

When Import from Embergen or From houdini fire and smoke, All I have to do to get something nice going is to raise the blackbody settings, and adjust density.
    When importing from lightwave..itīs temperature is looking horribly bad, if itīs really recognized or exported properly..that is what I have to look in to..if not, I probly will leave the gas solver in Lightwave and use Houdini..perhaps embergen instead.

Please return with feedback on that cloud you got (image is enough..and data of type of volumetrics) and letīs check what type it is and if you can get it over to blender.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast