Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: 1001 ways to use LW and Blender together

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    wayback machine >
    https://web.archive.org/web/20091111.../export_pc2.py

old tho' not sure if that flies anymore ?

note, that is export, not import.
    Thanks, will check it.

looks alright at the moment!

As I said..I think I got it that far as well..but try and get that to work with fluids, as well as try to get it to render with sprites.
    Though I havenīt tried it with the later blender builds..so maybe.

Could you be so kind and quick post that particle export ( i need to install those plugins again I think)
    so I could quick test that with fluids?

note; haven't tested this with +800.000 particles

but try and get that to work with fluids,
    that could be tricky, they are just points, so instancing might work, and perhaps sprites, fluids might be a challenge.

but merely a test, i would recommend this workflow for advanced stuff like fluids.
    for fluids, use MantaFlow in Blender or such.

going the other way, I believe Olvier made a paid plugin for importing Blender particles into LightWave via Ambelic.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by erikals; 10-17-2020 at 11:17 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Thanks mate,

Though it seems to be what I suspected and tried before, itīs not a particle system in the sense that it converts to blenders particles, so you canīt use particle system as flow source for fluid smoke, you have to choose mesh.
    now..it seems it doesnīt recognize these points as true polys, thus the mesh source will not work either.
    so in principle..not much of use at all.

Importing blender particles in to lightwave is however..of very little interest for me, blender particles is more for using with fluid dynamics, and as such I could just render it in blender instead.
    Lightwave particles on the other hand, has the ability to work with fractals in velocity channels, and the way you can spawn and use collision objects that are so easy to set up ..which I simply donīt find as easy to do in blender, but I need to take advantage of that next level, which is fluid generation from all that particle stuff, and since the gas solver in lightwave is so crude and slow in opengl and horrible display..I rather do it with the fluids in blender.

Mantaflow in blender is something I stay away from until they improve it more, I just canīt stand how unreliable it is when adjusting itīs mesh position, recalculate the cache, or change wind forces, it simply doesnīt behave as it should, I prefer the older fluids for that in blender.

mantaflow wouldnīt solve the project task I need with lightwave particles converted to recognizable particles or meshes for fluid generation though.

now..it seems it doesnīt recognize these points as true polys, thus the mesh source will not work either.
    so in principle..not much of use at all.
    instancing works.

Mantaflow
    ....Yeah, still has some way to go from what i read.

Tho' to add, applying some kind of dynamics to the MDD particles looks to be tricky.
    Last edited by erikals; 10-17-2020 at 12:53 PM.

....Yeah, still has some way to go from what i read.

Tho' to add, applying some kind of dynamics to the MDD particles looks to be tricky.
    Thanks for testing Erik.
    As for your latest test with duplicating on the mdd vertices, I tried that with 2.73, the duplication is alright, but still..the fluids will not regognize those duplicated boxes as a mesh to generate fluids from, not sure with
    mantaflow though.

Switching to old blender render, and not cycles, you can apply a halo material on the cube used for duplications, lower halo size and you will have sprites on those (particles) boxes.
    Turning box duplication off, then you canīt have the sprites, and that sprite system will not recognize the point vertices alone from mdd either.

yes, since mdd is pretty much just recorded motion, it takes deeper research on that...if possibly to adapt mdd for dynamic interaction as well, Iīm doubtful..but maybe.

Will rest from 3d tonight though, movie night..today a lot of movies oddly, but most of them I have seen already..so , some cheeze doodles, pringles, a bottle of pear cider and..
    itīs
    cast away
    prometheus
    Battle of the planet of apes again, which I just made thread on..since I really liked that one.

Edit..a tip.
    if you have 2.73 installed, try have fun with fluids and forces in there, have another instance of blender open, the 2.83 or 2.9 ..and import the cached vdb files from the 2.73 version, that way you do not have to mess with the oddity of mantaflow and you simply simulate in one, then use the later versions for static or sequence rendering of the vdb files.
    Though I had to batch rename with ACDsee ..since the index method for naming the cached files properly in 2.73 is not the proper one it seems.

for fluids i'll get the Flip Fluids ($70) plugin or wait for MantaFlow to catch up.

was never satisfied with the old B fluid addon., so leaving that one alone.

might look more into Storm 0.5 also in time.

movie night.
    may I suggest > Raised by Wolves

for fluids i'll get the Flip Fluids ($70) plugin or wait for MantaFlow to catch up.

was never satisfied with the old B fluid addon., so leaving that one alone.

might look more into Storm 0.5 also in time.

may I suggest > Raised by Wolves

yes..but perhaps depends on what kind of fluids we are talkin about, liquid or smoke and fire? you can still get nice vdb shapes with that for cloud stuff etc, if that is something you want that is.

yes..storm, will have to look in to that as well, embergen as well.

you may suggest that movie, but itīs not airing over here right now..and that is what counts, since I do not have any additional channel than the basic sources that comes with our rent, so no netflix.
    channel
    Swedish channels all
    And a few others like CNN & BBC And a couple of more I just donīt watch.

They removed swedish channel 10, and 12 (12 had most of the better movies) and the fox channel after the recent transition from analog to digitial, plus a couple of more, so with the digital transition and the ending of aired analog channels, we got a lesser supply now..less movies, but better quality only.

liquid or smoke and fire?
    liquid in this case, but i see they also added smoke and fire lately.
    they are releasing a demo soon, so in not too long we can test-run it.

yes, shame Raised by Wolves won't air "everywhere". Ridley directed the first two ones, and it looks quite "Alien".

perhaps "Star Trek Picard" agh, I guess that's HBO or something.

anyways, I really need to take a sofa-leap. Darn tired.

G;night.

liquid in this case, but i see they also added smoke and fire lately.
    they are releasing a demo soon, so in not too long we can test-run it.

yes, shame Raised by Wolves won't air "everywhere". Ridley directed the first two ones, and it looks quite "Alien".

perhaps "Star Trek Picard" agh, I guess that's HBO or something.

anyways, I really need to take a sofa-leap. Darn tired.

G;night.

Already goodnight, thought it is too early, Personally just writing this in the commercial break for the prometheus movie, watching it again for many times of studies of it.
    Will take a look at raised by wolves, interesting images for the series, so i will check trailers later.

after prometheus it is more movie time with Battle of the planet of the apes, after that or during that movie, I think mr Goodnight will show up.

yes, fire in storm added, will have to check later.

6 hours sleep, not sure if this is enough... we'll see...

sidenote; found a Blender Clouds video, good for rendering in B or making background images in LW

tried adding this technique to this PFX MDD scene, with so-so result. might get back to it later.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suZWM0oscqU
    Last edited by erikals; 10-18-2020 at 01:44 AM.

6 hours sleep, not sure if this is enough... we'll see...

sidenote; found a Blender Clouds video, good for rendering in B or making background images in LW

tried adding this technique to this PFX MDD scene, with so-so result. might get back to it later.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suZWM0oscqU
    No..6 hours isnīt good in the long run for your health, avoid going down further than 7:30 in sleeping hours, but sure..it is a bit individual of course depending on your physics, metabolism..biorythm and what else you do in your everyday
    life.
    Iīll try to get 8 to 8:45 hours each day, or more if I didnīt get those hours regulary some days.

As for that sidenote and clouds video, well..that is the new feature in 2.9 that Tibschein pointed out to me in another thread, volume displacement.
    First, cool to see another cloudmaniac, his life purpose was to study clouds and train that..haha

Though honestly, that little showcase is just about the basics of the new mesh to volume and the volumetric displace, donīt think he did a good job on training for clouds specificly, not on that vid though..I have to check his other stuff.
    First off... I think he should Not have demonstrated it all with the monkey mesh, but instead used either metaballs or sculpted mesh, or remeshed objects for the cloud shape.

Secondly..I think it was unecessary to demonstrate with HDR imaging, which I feel is more useful if you are to intergrate the cloud in to another photoshot, otherwise he should have sticked to the sky texture and sunlight only.
    What he should have done is to directly point to the light strength of the sunlight and itīs sun angle softness, and the volume GI bounces that would lift the lighting the cloud so much more, so just unecessary to bring in an hdr environment if there isnīt a specific compositing task.

For the new stuff that he is demonstrating, I am about to try it out, perhaps already tonight..or at least starting this week, so my first trials with 2.9 will commence around that time.
    And this is a very good showcase of what a failure of intergrating modeling tools in to layout is resulting in, had newtek and the lightwav team put their outmost to implement that, I think we would already have had this before
    Blender now implemented it.

What we do have in Lightwave is mesh to volume, and a way to displace the volume, but that is with velocity injection which has to be played/calculated through the timeline, which takes time and you have to wait for the result.
    Within this blender volume displacement, it is instantely..which I mentioned something about some year ago I think..that is is what is needed, so now we got it..but in blender.

I donīt like that velocity displacement feature on a mesh to volume object in Lightwave, I rather just turn the object to a full inside volume with gas solver and apply simulated noise from the gas solver, in blender you could do and can do the same with filling the inside of a mesh with fluids and just make sure nothing else is happening, untill you distort it with force fields a tiny bit.
    But now with this feature, it will perhaps be easier and faster to do that in blender, while lightwave still will have to struggle with calculations.

To note, since this happens in scene context and with modifiers, it is similar to houdini..you can bevel, exted, sculpt, move scale object, or faces to create cloud pillars, while still having the modifier active and see the cloud shape at once to give you the feedback the very same time you bevel or extend or scale something.

For Lightwave..this is something you can not do since you can not edit or extend the geometry in layout, you would have to change it in modeler and sync, and hope for the best that it updates and not crashes either..so you get some mesh cloud control..but that will still not give you the option of seeing it change in realtime in Lightwave..it simply isnīt possible ( except for adding dipslacement) then the mesh volume would respond to that.
    you can for instance start with a shape primitive item and displace that with surface displacement that controls it, and have that turn in to a volume mesh..but itīs gonna be a bit slow.

As for your test with the particle mdd, they do not react to fluids anyway, but it may perhaps work with mesh to volume..but you should now.

What I would do though, and have done, use particles or instancing in lightwave with gradients to scale spheres to form cloud shapes, export it as fbx and merged as one object, then send it to houdini for generating a cloud volume, add secondary convection noise to it.
    But with this in blender, you can now try that out with mesh to volume in blender.

One thing that pi...es me off with blender builds, it is how they present the versions.
    Went and downloaded the latest build..which is 2.90.1 installed it..worked on a mesh, only to find that there was no mesh to volume and no volume displace modifier, and it was of course in the 2.91 and not in the 2.90.1 version, and they do not exactly say ..hereīs the latest alpha build, they have those under the experimental tab, which is just silly.

I can say how many times Ivé downloaded the "wrong build" for a new feature.

how many times I've downloaded the "wrong build" for a new feature.
    LoL... sorry, but it is funny.

yes, I did this too.

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast