Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: 1001 ways to use LW and Blender together

Years back, the Daz installation/file import was a nightmare. [OMGoodness]  

haven't revisited it since.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    Years back, the Daz installation/file import was a nightmare. [OMGoodness]  

haven't revisited it since.
    Yes, I recall it became a bit of nightmarish, but I also recall overcoming it a bit...but this is for the content only, donīt think the installation of the software was like that.
    What is still troublesome is the content management where files are located etc.

Blander 2.8...Im tempted to learn a new app.....

If you had asked me 10 years ago, I woulda said 'Blender? Thats never gonna be more than a freebie modeler'...I just checked out 2.8 and I have to say I am quite impressed with where it's at...free, and yet is starting to really knock on the doors of the big 3d apps.

They've completely overhauled it and it looks and works much better (uses standard controls now too).

Cloth and Fluids are great and easy to setup (LW needs a bit o' work on that front)

I've only seen demos of the grease pencil modeling, but those segments blew me away..a real artistic way of modeling.

Previous versions of blender have made me gag to open and look at the awful interface...but this one had me tempted to actually dig in and learn it..to see if it will handle certain aspects of production easier and faster.

The one big downside to 2.8 that I've found so far is the omission of the Import LWO add on, which was on 2.79 and earlier. FBX works, but I like being able to go direct from LW to Blender (for those projects Ive been forced to use it).
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube
    Lightwave3D 2019, RF10, Gaea and more..
    Threadripper 16 core , 48gb, GTX-1070
    Asus 752vt i7 2.6 x 4, 48gb, GTX-970

Quote Originally Posted by lwanmtr View Post
    The one big downside to 2.8 that I've found so far is the omission of the Import LWO add on, which was on 2.79 and earlier. FBX works, but I like being able to go direct from LW to Blender (for those projects Ive been forced to use it).
    Well the omission of LWO support is not really Blenders fault but more down to NewTek changing the format.

Several applications do or did support the LWO format (for example Cinema 4D, Substance Painter, 3D Coat, Vue or Terragen) but none of them updated their import modules for the new LW 2018+ / LWO3 format.

Due to the dwindling popularity of LightWave I don't think this will ever change. For Blender there's actually the biggest chance because it is open source and anyone could write such a module.

Use FBX, OBJ or Alembic as exchange format instead.

Yeah, the LWO3 format change I can see them not having..but the LWO2 format was supported, so the module coulda just been dropped in.

I havent tried an fbx with a weighted object that doesnt have a rig. the lwo importer imported weight maps fine.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

Yeah, the LWO3 format change I can see them not having..but the LWO2 format was supported, so the module coulda just been dropped in.

I havent tried an fbx with a weighted object that doesnt have a rig. the lwo importer imported weight maps fine.
    Maybe the reason why they removed LWO(2) support is because users would try to open LWO(3) files and don't know why it's not working. These users might then claim that Blenders import is broken.

So if a user has a LW character animation and did not want to go with Octane, could that be exported to Blender to work with Cycles in any form ?

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    TBH, for converting, I tend to use collada export from LW, it's better than FBX, or at least appears so to me. There's talk of the USD format being developed for future releases of Blender, but depends if Newtek decide to go that directino as well.
    Even the old LWO importer had limitation though, things like splines don't go across at all, (you can convert them to 2-pt polys using Pictrix tools), also Ngons are really not liked one bit, so it wasn't a one-stop solution anyway.
    Too old to die young.

You can export fbx for animation, but I havent tried that in blender myself.

Ive had issues importing collada into blender, rigs always were messed up...even if the file was exported from blender...lol.

Never tried importing splines into blender, but subd does import. Ngons arent a big deal for me, because I try to keep quads as much as i can.

USD? Yaay another file format..lol
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Well the omission of LWO support is not really Blenders fault but more down to NewTek changing the format.

Several applications do or did support the LWO format (for example Cinema 4D, Substance Painter, 3D Coat, Vue or Terragen) but none of them updated their import modules for the new LW 2018+ / LWO3 format.

Due to the dwindling popularity of LightWave I don't think this will ever change. For Blender there's actually the biggest chance because it is open source and anyone could write such a module.

Use FBX, OBJ or Alembic as exchange format instead.
    That may not be quite correct, I exported a 2015 lwo2 object out from lightwave 2019, opened in blender 2.8 beta...got error messages, opened it in blender 2.79 and that worked fine.

To note, lwo format maintains layers, weight maps..and even weight name, so if I paint in a weightmap in Lightwave...I can then use a particle hair emitter and use itīs vertex/weight map called hair for distributing the hair growth, also maintains the correct size from Lightwave to Blender.

fbx do not maintains weightmaps,neighter does collada

You can export fbx for animation, but I havent tried that in blender myself.

Ive had issues importing collada into blender, rigs always were messed up...even if the file was exported from blender...lol.

Never tried importing splines into blender, but subd does import. Ngons arent a big deal for me, because I try to keep quads as much as i can.

USD? Yaay another file format..lol
    Splines will not work, but you can get polychains to work..not with lwo though, you need to convert a spline with strandmaker in lightwave modeler, delete the original spline then save out as obj, blender will read it fine as a polychain, which can then be used with blenders hairnet plugin and grow child hair based on any polychain made in lightwave, with similar principles..you can grow hair from weightmaps in Lightwave layout and style them a bit, polygonize them send to modeler and run strandmaker on them to be sure, then send to blender and use itīs hair tools and even combing on it..and render it in blender if you want to..cause in all honesty, blenders hair renders much faster..and looks better.

if you want you can convert the polychain made from lightwave with alt-c then enter edit mode and subdivide to create more points, then use smooth..that way you will transform it to resemble the original smoother spline.

Frequenter
    For Objects, what about:
    https://heimlich1024.github.io/OD_CopyPasteExternal/
    Did 2.8 break that?

edit: looks there is a version for Blender 2.8 [8month old, though] - but is it is also working with LW2019? Anyone tried?
    Last edited by fishhead; 08-04-2019 at 07:05 AM. Reason: updated info

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    not exactly 2.8, you can not copy and paste a polychain properly that works with modifiers such as skin modifier in 2.79..and most likely not in 2.8, best choice when working with polychains from lightwave to blender, save out as obj ..it works.
    copy and paste external with od tools may also render crashes in blender, that said..ordinary meshes is a godsend with od tools copy and paste.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    That may not be quite correct, I exported a 2015 lwo2 object out from lightwave 2019, opened in blender 2.8 beta...got error messages, opened it in blender 2.79 and that worked fine.
    Why not correct? That's what I would expect to happen, l

LWO2 opens fine in 2.79 (not in 2.80 because it's removed).

LWO3 dies not work in any application as far as I know (tested Cinema 4D, Substance Painter, 3D Coat, Vue or Terragen).

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
    For Objects, what about:
    https://heimlich1024.github.io/OD_CopyPasteExternal/
    Did 2.8 break that?

edit: looks there is a version for Blender 2.8 [8month old, though] - but is it is also working with LW2019? Anyone tried?
    Ah yes forgot about that, thanks. Is ODCopyPaste easy to use? Might test that later.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast