Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dining area

Great job!

Seriously cool stuff, mate. Brilliant work. LOVE the texturing detail, really stellar.

Thanks for sharing the extra details -- again, beautiful work!

Simply amazing Otacon. Itīd be a great idea to share the scene to learn. Thanks

Ohh.. this is the Otacon i know
    absolutely great, nothing to say. Something to ask tough: can you share a snapshot of your Linear workflow panel ?

thanks,
    Paolo

amazing, very good lighting..
    i wonder
    -why u prefer using luminous panels instead than area lights ?
    - if i use luminous panels i got more splotchy gi and i get less conctat shadows... how u manadge avoiding splotch with luminous panels and less contact shadows?
    - what are your GI settings?
    Last edited by giacob; 05-21-2011 at 12:35 PM.

same here - in Kray i'm used to luminous polys as main diffuse light source, but in LW i get very low-quality GI out of them. Any secret about this ?

bye
    Paolo

I will post the GI settings and linear workflow panel when I get back to my machine. What I remember is pixel spacing was 2 min, 80 max, 1024 rays.

I agree about area lights, I think they give better results. The reason I like using luminous polys is because of the reflections they give. Area lights don't show in reflections. Using polys with 300% luminosity shows up on all your reflections, even small amounts which look great. Whenever I would compare lw to vray I would always notice the reflections in lw were not very strong, even if you have high settings. Using luminosity values over 100% helps this a lot. Also, I think when lw 9 came out with the new radiosity and usable blurry reflections it changed my view of lighting with luminous polys...I started using them more.

I wish lightwave had an option where you could have a luminous poly be seen by rays, but not give off light when using radiosity. Then I could use a poly for reflections and light with area lights.

Quote Originally Posted by otacon View Post
    I wish lightwave had an option where you could have a luminous poly be seen by rays, but not give off light when using radiosity. Then I could use a poly for reflections and light with area lights.
    It does. Put your luminous poly in a new layer if its not a separate object already, then go to object properties > render > unseen by radiosity

Id also suggest unchecking self/cast/receive shadow so you can put an area light in the same position as the luminous poly.
    Last edited by funk; 05-22-2011 at 02:31 AM.
    Win7 64/Core i7-975 3.33GHz/12GB RAM/GTX 670 2GB/Wacom Intuos4 M
    I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live - Jesus Christ

These have a very soothing effect on me. I love the close ups.

The modelling is exceptional as is the texturing, especially on the little blue table and the Eames chair.

And a LW render making front page on Evermotion! Good man
    portfolio

The Liver is evil and must be punished!

I use Image World with a HDRI in all my interior work for this very reason. It doesn't affect the lighting much but gives openings a realistic glow in reflections.
    portfolio

The Liver is evil and must be punished!

Quote Originally Posted by funk View Post
    It does. Put your luminous poly in a new layer if its not a separate object already, then go to object properties > render > unseen by radiosity

Id also suggest unchecking self/cast/receive shadow so you can put an area light in the same position as the luminous poly.
    Unseen by radiosity will make the poly not recieve radiosity, but it will still give off light. Checking unseen by rays will turn off light casting, but will also make it unseen by reflections. I need a way to control reflection rays and radiosity rays separate.

Unseen by radiosity will make the poly not recieve radiosity, but it will still give off light. Checking unseen by rays will turn off light casting, but will also make it unseen by reflections. I need a way to control reflection rays and radiosity rays separate.
    hmmm... I just tested this out... the luminous poly gives off no light.

Are you sure you tried this?

EDIT: Im attaching a scene. It has a lumipoly on layer 2. It has unseen by radiosity checked. It gives off no light, but still appears in reflections, which is what we want. You can now position an area light in the same place to light the scene.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by funk; 05-22-2011 at 04:23 PM.
    I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live - Jesus Christ

I agree they need to make a render flag for that. But they need to make render flags for more things like reflection and refraction. The unseen by rays flag is a bit rude in my opinion

But uhh very nice render you have there

I just attached a scene to my previous post. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you want to do, then lightwave already does it. Check out the simple test scene

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast