Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Critical Computer Issue!! Corrupts all Data on all Hard Drives You Have.

Critical Computer Issue!! Corrupts all Data on all Hard Drives You Have.

This is not a joke and not a provocation! This is a cry for help.

I will explain what was happening to me last few weeks and how I discovered what it was.

Few Weeks ago I accidentally found out that something was wrong with the system Windows XP x64 I was working on when I found out that Desktop and Quicklaunch Icons were corrupted (Icons were missing, only default placeholder Icons were there instead), so I restarted the computer to fix them and to my surprise they didn't come back. I checked some files on desktop and those were corrupted too, meaning I could not open them. I was frustrated for losing them, and after I made thourugh scan for viruses with several scanners (rescue disks by Eset nod32, F-secure and Avast) none of which found anything suspicial I wrongly thought that windows itself made some error and destroyed part of the NTFS filesystem. At the point in time when that happened I had several progrms active Lightwave 10 x64, Autocad 2012 which we bought just few days before the incident and Photoshop CS5. I reinstalled Windows XP x64 and all programs I needed and continued to work for ~2 weeks without the need for Lightwave and everything was fine.

Maybe a week ago I got into very close to project deadline and brought work to home. What a grevious error and misfortune on my behalf. I worked for several hours and when I finally could keep my eyes opened I set a HQ test render and went to sleep. While I was moving to bed I did notice there was activity on the Hard because the small HD power LED indicator was constantly on, but I assumed it was either indexer or built in Windows 7 Defragmenter. When I woke up I turned the monitor on and to my horror everything on desktop was corrupted, explorer.exe was dead Lightwave could not save any data , but that was not all. I restarted and could not get into Windows 7 x64 anymore. I pulled out both hard drives I had in the computer( System Drive and Data drive) and 4GB USB flash drive. I hooked them on my work and was floored with the dread. All three Drives were turned into garbage with not one single file capable of opening.

I tried with various free data recovery tools(test disk, photorec, recuva) and few trial apps like Getdataback and iCare to bring the files back with no avail. Neither of the applications could recognize that something was wrong with the data since the file system was intact. That made me sent the drives into local data recovery center, and after several days of trying they called me and said they were helpless. They had no clue what was capable of this and they as well tested my drives to viruses and proved that they weren't infected.

So I bought a new hard drive and put a system on in solely with the purpose to find out what was going on. I made several .txt files in the root of C: to help test my endavour. TXT files were filled with few lines of single sign (qqqqqqq..., sssssssss... and eeeeeee....) named 0.txt, 1.txt and 01.txt, since I noticed that corruption was happening in alphabetical order starting with files then moving to directories without discrimination of file type or folder type. Out of all files that were corrupted before I was able only to open .txt files a see the corruption so that is why I made these for the test. I figured that if there was some corruption or encryption going on it would be easier to find out what was it if I knew exactly what was inside of these small .txt files.

I have to mention that I was already suspicious of either Autocad 2012 or Lightwave 10 since both times this happened both were active. To minimize the error I just installed Lightwave 10 this time and started doing operations that I might use from time to time in Lightwave and patiently checking prepared .txt files for corruption from time to time. For couple of hours everything was fine until I tried importing prepared .dxf file into Lightwave. I was already aware of the Lightwave 10 problem and .dxf import and this time was no different as I was presented with the FBX import dialog, I clicked Yes (or OK..I can't remember now what exactly does it say) and this is where it started, almost instantly Hard Disk got busy, I opened up C:\ and opened each of the .txt files and all were garbage. I quickly looked what was going on and saw that even I quit Lightwave it was still active, since hub.exe didn't let me close it. I forcefully shut Windows as fast as I could so I wouldn't lose more data. I remembered after that that both times this had happened I was using DXF import dialog thinking that maybe import errors were due to .dxf files themselves.

After restart I checked what was good and what was gone, and parts Lightwave install were gone since it was in the beginning of disk C: under Program Files/3D/Lightwave.

Nothing else was active during this test time except for other 3 applications (Opera browser, Skype and Logitech mouse driver).

My Lightwave install was specific as I tried to make LW as portable as it can be done and it looked like this: I transfered lic file to main Lightwave directory(bin) and made shortcuts with -c switch and point them to Lightwave/Support/Configs.

Developers I'm urging You to check what is going on with Lightwave before anyone else loses data this way. And if there is a way to help me rescue data with some information I would be grateful since corruption ate all of my backups aswell

Thank You.

P.S. I kept the three .txt files and if they can help I will upload them where it is convenient.
    Last edited by dualboot; 05-01-2011 at 12:14 PM.

I'm having the same thing on 2 of my computers at work and at my laptop.

I was convinced my computers were attacked through exploit of some sort.

I managed to move away my laptop from it, but my main workstation gets corrupted files. Usually what gets hurt are LW installations and sometimes Adobe CS 5.

I always checkup Readme.txt in LW 9.6 folder and when it gets corrupted its full of chinese characters or jibberish like that.

Cannot confirm if its LW10 related or not, but I can put that txt for others to see.

I ended up keeping lw instalations and config files on the network location and just copy/paste them when it happens...

All I know it drove me nuts, not a single antivirus hadn't found anything, kaspersky support confirm its not a malware...

p.s. I even changed the hdd on my workstation when it started thinking there is something wrong with the disk.
    Senior CG Artist, Optix Digital Pictures
    Demo Reel
    Behance
    Web folio
    LinkedIn

I'm sorry this happened to You as well, hopefully someone here will be able to help us, or at least fix this and stop it happening ever again.

P.S. Pozdrav iz Beograda.

I and our IT guy both have no clue what it is but I'll be much happier person without a bastard.

Pozdrav...
    Senior CG Artist, Optix Digital Pictures
    Demo Reel
    Behance
    Web folio
    LinkedIn

just a few days ago, I got warnings of some viruses at my work wich was partly a win exploit virus, and there was even trojan horse warnings, AVG noticed the win exploit, and a malware tool noticed the trojans.

Now I discovered that all my shortcut icons on the task bar was empty, and had redirected the links to IExplorer.

I did a virus removal, but that didnīt help, then I did a system restore to a few checkpoints back in time, that gave me the correct icons back with the correct links to the programs, however many many documents in my documents folder has been corrupted somehow, simple text files can be opened but the text isnīt recognizable, some text files were having chinese letters?? image files canīt be read etc..and most software canīt function properly.

Lightwave 10 Isnīt installed on that computer.
    I had some data in there thou that I would like to recover, fortunatly My main work is on a second omputer at work, but still..I would like to get hold of the other files to recover..so if someone knows a good file recover software..please let me know.

I suspect this virus attack occoured when I was trying to share some files in my document folder, and I probably accidently shared and gave acess to the the whole folder over the complete internet network.

Michael

Newbie Member
    Just a couple of days ago I got _exactly_ the same issue, with lots of valuable data ruined. I thought it was my hard drive and replaced it, eventhough the nature of this issue was extremely weird looking, nothing as I've seen before even with hardware related problems. And I did work with LW10 a lot at that time. I didn't even think LW10 could have been the problem. If it is LW10 though.... wow... Not running it anymore just in case, back to 9.6
    Last edited by deemon; 05-01-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deemon View Post
    Just a couple of days ago I got _exactly_ the same issue, with lots of valuable data ruined. I thought it was my hard drive and replaced it, eventhough the nature of this issue was extremely weird looking, nothing as I've seen before even with hardware related problems. And I did work with LW10 a lot at that time. I didn't even think LW10 could have been the problem. If it is LW10 though.... wow... Not running it anymore just in case, back to 9.6

In my case thereīs no lightwave 10 issue, so Itīs gotta be something else for me, I really doubt very much that this would be something related to lightwave 10 at all for you other guys too, but if it really is..then Itīs a major cluster .f.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by dualboot View Post
    I have to mention that I was already suspicious of either Autocad 2012 or Lightwave 10 since both times this happened both were active.
    I am sorry for your data loss, but I do not think either program is to blame. We've run LightWave 10.0 at work since January on multiple Windows 7 x64 machines and across a network with no data loss whatsoever.

If no virus was found, I recommend checking the power supply and see if it is sufficient for the system and graphics card. In 2004 I upgraded the CPU in my Desknote computer. Shortly thereafter the hard drive was corrupted. The problem was that power supply did not have enough "juice" to accommodate the increased power consumption of the CPU upgrade. With insufficient power, the writes to the hard drive became garbled.

Underclocking the CPU solved the problem, but I had to reinstall Windows from scratch.

Installing two 3D programs on your machine would increase the power consumption for the graphics card as it cranked up to meed the OpenGL demands of both programs. It takes less power for a graphics card to display 2D graphics than 3D graphics.
    Jen's 3D -- LightWave stuff.
    Jen's 2D -- my comic book.

Python is my smashing board. LightWave is my S.M.A.K.

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    In my case thereīs no lightwave 10 issue, so Itīs gotta be something else for me, I really doubt very much that this would be something related to lightwave 10 at all for you other guys too, but if it really is..then Itīs a major cluster .f.

Michael
    I too think it would have been way too weird if it was LW, but the truth here is -- I get HDD corrupted, I restore my system from a year old system backup which has no viruses, run LW10 for some times (some loading, rendering, saving), everything gets corrupted again. Restore from an even older backup with a clean windows, run LW10, got all data screwed up again. I went ahead and bought a new HDD thinking it was hardware problem. Reinstalled everything on the new HDDD and so far so good. No LW10 was run yet though.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by deemon View Post
    I too think it would have been way too weird if it was LW, but the truth here is -- I get HDD corrupted, I restore my system from a year old system backup which has no viruses, run LW10 for some times (some loading, rendering, saving), everything gets corrupted again. Restore from an even older backup with a clean windows, run LW10, got all data screwed up again. I went ahead and bought a new HDD thinking it was hardware problem. Reinstalled everything on the new HDDD and so far so good. No LW10 was run yet though.
    Is LW10 the only 3D software on your machine? If so, the problem might be an insufficient power supply and not LightWave.

As mentioned above, I do not have problems with LightWave at work. However, I have had hard drive problems when a weak power supply delivered insufficient power for my computer's components.

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Celshader View Post
    Is LW10 the only 3D software on your machine? If so, the problem might be an insufficient power supply and not LightWave.

As mentioned above, I do not have problems with LightWave at work. However, I have had hard drive problems when a weak power supply delivered insufficient power for my computer's components.
    It well may be ONLY if LW10's VPR coupled with FPrime opened simultaneously causes some unusual and extreme load on the computer. Because I've been running the same hardware config (yes, quite a bit overclocked) for a couple of years, including intensive several days straight renderings, several F-Prime windows running in parallel etc) with no such problems. First thing I did when I got first corruption was setting back my CPU clock to default. Made no difference. However I did continue using F-Prime and VPR at the same time. Trashed files again.

In no way I'm 100% sure it's LW10 though, I thought it was my hardware issue all the way until I just saw the original post today, which made me thinking.

EDIT: Just to make it clear -- I'm NOT blaming LW at all, it sure does look like a hardware issue once viruses are ruled out. However, I've been using LW in quite extreme conditions for years, seen crashes and all, yet when I get this weird issue in the first time I go to the forum and see I'm not alone. Just weird.
    Last edited by deemon; 05-01-2011 at 03:08 PM.

My computer and computer at work are both built for heavy load. PSU is 650 W 85+ certified. At home I have nvidia GTX 560 Ti, intel q9300 CPU, 4Gb of RAM and on work I have Radeon HD 5850, intel q6600 CPU, 4 Gb of RAM.

I started using Lightwave 10 recently just about the time the first corruption happened, I even think it was the first job with Lightwave 10.

It can't be a coincidence same thing happening of two different systems with two different configurations with 2 different antivirus programs. It happened twice on my work computer and twice at home(with last time being my test mode).

The only thing connecting those 4 incidents was Lightwave 10. I'm not the one to jump to conclusions, but this happened this afternoon while I was watching and testing Lightwave 10 for this problem.

I'm not programmer but I think there is a problem with internal handling of Lightwave errors and the Hub. Something happens to Lightwave related processes when an internal error occurs and for whatever reason Lightwave starts it's data corruption cycle.

I also do not believe that it is a coincidence that in few hours from my posting several people reported the same thing happening to their computers. I do not think that this sort of post would be this "live" if there wasn't a real problem here.

I just hope Newtek will thoroughly check this out, and if this was not Lightwave clear it up at least.

650? mmmm..never built a pc with a ps that small. Of course I have only built about four. But I usually go for 750W to 1000W. I haven't built anything bigger.

Only PC's I have ever had with something that low are the stock machines we buy.

Jen may have a point here.

p.s. That 85+ you noted. Is that the burst rating or the sustained? Because the sustained ratings are considerably lower. This was the subject of a thread over on another forum for another piece of software (not 3D at all) a couple of years ago.
    Last edited by Dexter2999; 05-01-2011 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dualboot View Post
    I also do not believe that it is a coincidence that in few hours from my posting several people reported the same thing happening to their computers. I do not think that this sort of post would be this "live" if there wasn't a real problem here.

I just hope Newtek will thoroughly check this out, and if this was not Lightwave clear it up at least.
    Possibly, but we've been using LightWave 10.0 at work since January across multiple platforms (XP x64 and Win7 x64), multiple workstations and 100+ machines on the render farm. My husband and I both have LightWave 10.0 installed on our computers at home (WinXP x64 and WinXP x32). None of us have had any data corruption issues.

Data corruption issues would also have become evident during the LightWave 10.0 beta testing cycle, which involved hundreds of users in the HardCORE forum.

If only a few people in this thread have run into data corruption issues, this implies that the problem is something other than LightWave 10.0.

This doesn't sound like it's anything to do with LightWave, if it were, we would have seen more cases of this in our own testing.

That said, can you define any steps that conclusively prove that this is LightWave related?

Then we can see if indeed the scary title of this thread has any validity.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast