Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: XP End-Of-Life Issue

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    33

    XP End-Of-Life Issue

    I am hearing that Microsoft will be initiating an official 'End-of-Life' date for XP users. I got news for Microsoft, these Tricasters run on an XP platform and I'm wondering now what's going to become of the operability of the Tricaster after Microsoft has unleahed its wrath upon XP users.

    Guys, any insight on this and actions you may have taken in response to this, what appears to be the end of the line for many Tricasters out there in use?

  2. #2
    'the write stuff' SBowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The stars at night are big and bright
    Posts
    19,925
    I'm still running one of my PC's on XP. It remains a great and very stable OS. If it really becomes impossible to obtain, I suppose this will affect new SD model TriCasters, but otherwise, I don't see any need to worry about this, honestly.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I'm still running one of my PC's on XP. It remains a great and very stable OS. If it really becomes impossible to obtain, I suppose this will affect new SD model TriCasters, but otherwise, I don't see any need to worry about this, honestly.
    Wow! It's going to effect even the newer, XD Tricasters. I can imagine that would be a matter of concern amongst alot of us TC users and Newtek customers out there who are considering upgrading to one of the XD models soon.

    So I'm wondering what plan of action Newtek has in place now, in anticipation of what Microsoft has put into motion with its XP OS and the handwriting that is now on the wall.

  4. #4
    'the write stuff' SBowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The stars at night are big and bright
    Posts
    19,925
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerproducer View Post
    Wow! It's going to effect even the newer, XD Tricasters.
    ?? Did you misunderstand what I wrote? I mentioned new SD TriCasters (i.e., Studio/Broadcast models manufactured after a time when XP isn't available) - not the newer HD models that run variously on Vista or Win7, nor existing SD models in the field.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

  5. #5
    Virtualsets.com Tim H.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    339

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by tigerproducer View Post
    ...I'm wondering now what's going to become of the operability of the Tricaster after Microsoft has unleahed its wrath upon XP users.

    Guys, any insight on this and actions you may have taken in response to this, what appears to be the end of the line for many Tricasters out there in use?
    In case there is any confusion, "End-of-Life" simply means that Microsoft will cease official support and sales of the product. It will still continue to work as it always has.

    It's not like the EV1 electric car...where perfectly good cars were taken from owners and crushed.

    Sincerely,
    Tim Hedegaard
    Virtualsets.com, Inc.
    NewTek Authorized Reseller
    Customized LiveSets for XD300, XD850, and 850 EXTREME

    www.virtualsets.com
    [email protected]

    (323) 512-1542 voice

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    ?? Did you misunderstand what I wrote? I mentioned new SD TriCasters (i.e., Studio/Broadcast models manufactured after a time when XP isn't available) - not the newer HD models that run variously on Vista or Win7, nor existing SD models in the field.
    Whoops, my bad, Isee that you said 'SD' and I mistook that for 'XD' at first.

    Still, shouldn't Newtek have some plan of defense for TC users who will be effected by Microsoft's decision to eventually snuff the XP OS?

  7. #7
    'the write stuff' SBowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The stars at night are big and bright
    Posts
    19,925
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerproducer View Post
    Still, shouldn't Newtek have some plan of defense for TC users who will be effected by Microsoft's decision to eventually snuff the XP OS?
    I really don't see why. It's not as if your SD TriCaster will stop working. What sort of "defense" do you anticipate needing?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim H. View Post
    In case there is any confusion, "End-of-Life" simply means that Microsoft will cease official support and sales of the product. It will still continue to work as it always has.

    It's not like the EV1 electric car...where perfectly good cars were taken from owners and crushed.

    Sincerely,
    Tim Hedegaard
    Virtualsets.com, Inc.
    NewTek Authorized Reseller
    Customized LiveSets for XD300, XD850, and 850 EXTREME

    www.virtualsets.com
    [email protected]

    (323) 512-1542 voice
    Okay. So what will happen when it comes time the XP OS needs to be re-installed into a system? Can the XP then still be validated with Microsoft after the EOL date?

  9. #9
    Virtualsets.com Tim H.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    339
    Interesting question, but my guess is that it will still be able to be validated...but I really don't know the answer to that.

    When the time comes, I'm sure there will be a FAQ...and that question will be in the document.

  10. #10
    'the write stuff' SBowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The stars at night are big and bright
    Posts
    19,925
    There are lots of people still running 2000. I haven't seen any outcry, so expect you can still activate.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    84
    Being more of an appliance than a PC, I have wondered why the tricaster was not built on a linux platform instead of windows.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    795
    I don't really understand this outcry from owners of older SD TriCasters. You have a restore partition should anything happen, and NewTek pretty much expressly forbids installing any updates anyway. The TriCaster is indeed an appliance, and as such is "frozen in time", as it were.

    The thought " maybe we should think about upgrading" should be because the newer machines are so much cooler, not because running a discontinued OS. I still have several AMIGA VT/Flyers... and just because Commodore has been dead forever doesn't mean ANYTHING is diminished from what these fabulous machines are capable. ( in fact they now have that special "retro" cash'e. )

    Bob Anderson

  13. #13
    Registered User ZachSchuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    785
    This is really only an issue if you can no longer validate your copy of xp, which I don’t think will be the case. Remember, tricasters have a restore image, which includes the operating system. Despite service packs, etc... you should keep the o/s unchanged from the factory defaults, so end of life concerns are negated... except for that validate concern, since you do need to validate xp every time you do a system restore.
    Zach Schuster
    SuiteCG- Sports Scoreboard and Stat Tools
    Tricaster 855/460
    Zeplay Instant Replay
    ScoreOCR
    Sony NX5U

  14. #14
    Super Member warrenwc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma U.S.A.
    Posts
    903
    there's still almost 3 Years before the XP cut. That's enough time to do some planning.
    Warren Christiansen
    Core i7 3.2Ghz
    12GB Ram
    Windows7 64
    Geoforce GTX285

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachSchuster View Post
    This is really only an issue if you can no longer validate your copy of xp, which I don’t think will be the case. Remember, tricasters have a restore image, which includes the operating system. Despite service packs, etc... you should keep the o/s unchanged from the factory defaults, so end of life concerns are negated... except for that validate concern, since you do need to validate xp every time you do a system restore.
    Only SOME backup images require you to re-register. The restore images vary widely from machine to machine based on manufacture date. I've had long conversations with NewTek's production manager where he said this was impossible, but I handed him drives, and he saw they were indeed different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •