Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ot news green lantern gets $9mill to fix up cg

ot news green lantern gets $9mill to fix up cg

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/green-...pecial-effects

not going so well eh....

is this a sign of the cut throat pitching business having an effect on quality of cg?
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Hmm didn't this just always look sh!t?
    The source (I can think of ten more appealing superheroes and I don't even go in for that genre), the art design, the concept, the trailer-all dull.

Thor looks interesting but this holds no promise for me.
    Last edited by Iain; 04-27-2011 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Spelling of sh!t!
    portfolio

The Liver is evil and must be punished!

World's Tallest Dwarf safetyman's Avatar
    I think eventually audiences are going to get tired of all the superhero films and stop going to see them. Then what will Hollywood do?

"Are you going to see Plastic Man?"
    "Naw, probably not."
    "What about Super Dog?"
    "Naw, I'm waiting for Wonder Woman to come out on DVD"

i'm quite bored with the comic-to-film-o-matic releases of late...i'd like more new stuff not rehashes of comics or sequels of old films or 'reboots' of old 80's films...

you know...

'NEW'
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
    http://www.totalfilm.com/news/green-...pecial-effects

not going so well eh....

is this a sign of the cut throat pitching business having an effect on quality of cg?
    There's a saying in the CG biz: You never have time to do things right, but always have time to do it twice.

Well, I do think Hollywood is starting to really overuse comic heros but then I think mainstream Hollywood has really lost it's originality with stories anyway. Hence you see remakes, old tv shows, CG saturated movies, sequels.

That's why I love the advent of Youtube, Vimeo and the like. It gives creative people that have new and original stories an opportunity of getting their work seen.

Dt
    DG Grafix
    Don Terrell
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    www.donterrell.com
    www.dggrafix.com

All things are possible through Christ!

oh corks
    Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
    It could well be... but, equally, it might have nothing to do with that. This kind of thing did used to happen before FX budgets were so squeezed, and I'd say the most surprising thing about this is that it's being covered in the film press... in the past studios would have wanted to keep this kind of thing completely secret because it would cause bad word of mouth. Of course, they might have announced this because the word of mouth about the film and the effects is already so terrible (I've no idea whether it is) that telling the fans they're fixing up the effects actually works like good press, as in "Look! All fixed! Not crap any more!"

Quote Originally Posted by Portnoy View Post
    Well, I do think Hollywood is starting to really overuse comic heros but then I think mainstream Hollywood has really lost it's originality with stories anyway. Hence you see remakes, old tv shows, CG saturated movies, sequels.

That's why I love the advent of Youtube, Vimeo and the like. It gives creative people that have new and original stories an opportunity of getting their work seen.

Dt
    Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, etc... are all Marvel productions now (they have their own movie studio). They are all part of a larger story arc leading to the Avengers movie(s).

Comics are always under a reboot. It's the only way to keep the characters current. If they didn't keep rebooting, then Batman would now be well into his 100s (since he first showed up in comics in the 30s). Superman wouldn't be much younger and most of the cast in the Marvel comics would be dead (for good).

The stuff sells, so they keep making it, heheh.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardboard View Post
    ...as in "Look! All fixed! Not crap any more!"
    Most excellent....
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

World's Tallest Dwarf safetyman's Avatar
    Yeah, and if it doesn't do well (of even if it does), they just re-boot it again (Spiderman, batman, superman, Hulk, Fantastic Four, etc.). In a year or two we'll see a reboot of Iron Man probably.

Quote Originally Posted by safetyman View Post
    Yeah, and if it doesn't do well (of even if it does), they just re-boot it again (Spiderman, batman, superman, Hulk, Fantastic Four, etc.). In a year or two we'll see a reboot of Iron Man probably.
    It's like Cryonic said, comics have to reboot ever so often or else they couldn't keep their core characters and audiences. In movies this is doubly important because you are trying to attract non-comic fans as well. They have to keep Spiderman in his high school/college days for movies because that's what most non-comic fans know about the character. They can't move the character too far away or the audience would be confused.

I'd love to see a movie based on something like Red Son (a comic that envisions Superman as the champion of the Soviet Union in stead of the US) but audiences would be really confused by it because it strays too far away from what the commonly known mythology of the character is.
    -Joshua Jorgensen

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    LOVING how the commenters over there seem to think CGI is just a breeze to create. Bloated cheeto-dust covered yobs.

Yeah, like they could have made AVATAR. Like they could have even gotten work on AVATAR.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

oh corks
    I'm going to speculate wildly and recklessly here, but I'd bet good money that every single company that worked on the effects for this movie was told that there wasn't a penny more available... really, no, absolutely no more money, that's it, you'll just have to do it for this little... the budget won't allow us to pay you any more. Honestly, would I lie to you? We've only got $25.17 to spend on the cg body replacement. $420,000? No, $25.17. That's it. All the money's gone. Take it or leave it. Well whether you say it can't be good for $25.17 or not doesn't matter. That's all there is. No use complaining.

And then when it turns out to look like crap, suddenly the truth is there's a surprise $9 million available. I mean, where did it come from? Did they find it down the back of the sofa? I'm sure they wouldn't have lied about not having any money.

It says the suit is entirely computer generated. I wonder if that approach made the most sense given what they were initially willing to spend.

Of course, they could simply omit the cg suit and leave the footage as-is, which presumably has him flying around nude on wires. That would likely draw an all-new demographic to the franchise and may turn a profit in the end.
    Adam Martin
    my portfolio
    Mac Pro 2x3Ghz Dual-Core Intel | 8 Gb RAM | OS 10.6.8 | ATI Radeon X1900 XT

Are these the same actor as green lantern???????
    I can't recognize as the same in both different trailers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs2sZgO3OMk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urwk6QTpB_o
    Silvio Toledo
    Brazil

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast