Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SE 2 update

The worst part of Capitalism is that people believe it has to be competitive and work in secrecy.
    So much for social harmony.

Blog Entries

Death To Capitalism?

Quote Originally Posted by donx View Post
    The worst part of Capitalism is that people believe it has to be competitive and work in secrecy.
    So much for social harmony.
    I guess that's why we all should give thanks that the Internet isn't owned by anyone and perhaps why we should all be using open source software, since their principles seem to succeed in delivering user satisfaction, personal and professional development, where Capitalist principles fails.

Apple has a good idea. Build a new kickass editor and practically give it away. It already is very popular and will become more so at a price that everyone must have one. Just a downloadable app that replaces FCP.

Newtek, also has a great strategy with building Hardware and only using SE as part of it's operation. It's difficult to justify marketing SE separately as an editing application. The cost of advertising and keeping up with demanding users would add a lot to bother. Better to build a good machine and maintain it.

Blog Entries
    I don't buy that concept. NewTek are a business, and as a business you need to take a measured approach to releasing new products or services. It's imperative that your business plan demonstrates the viability of all your endeavours and if it reveals your strategy won't work, then you'd be a fool to go ahead with it.

NewTek must have done it's homework when going to the extent of releasing SE as a stand alone application and found there was some viability in doing so. The approach they took to release a product that worked in a different way to the competition must have been a choice made based on their view of how it would help improve their business. So investing in the promotion, marketing and development of SE is no different to any other NT product. It still follows the same rules of business/Capitalism.

NewTek have shown they know these rules, and have demostrated it with the TriCaster. So it's not like they don't know what needs to be done to make SE work more effectively as part of their operation.

Apple's business cannot be used as a comparison to any other tech company, because Apple do not live in the same world as most other tech companies. They have a strangle hold over all aspects of their business and users, and are not as reliant on third parties, as most other tech companies are, to deliver the goods. They have much more products and services in the market place which generate revenues that are used to support other areas of their business. This puts them in a position to be able to 'practically give away a kickass editor' knowing that once you've committed to the editor, they then own you and your wallet, lock, stock and barrel. You have very little in the way of freedom with Apple. Most other tech companies don't work this way.

And NewTek (bless 'em) certainly don't.
    Last edited by Shabazzy; 04-26-2011 at 01:41 AM.

I just couldn't stand it anymore, I had to uninstall the update and reinstalled 2.0. If I was the beta test, here's what I discovered, 1. Freezes when I delete any file from the Add media window. 2. Very Slow background rendering (slower than slow). 3. Timeline will not play past unrendered section, it just stops. 4. Multiple layer editing is a pain, especially with text. I'm back on SE 2.0 and it's a relief.

yeah i will be going back to 2.0 soon too before i start another job. Anlong with having to re-position the windows everytime I open it. It also crashes if i update a file on the timeline in say afterfx etc. 2.0 never used to do that.

Very annoying. Newtek you need to pull your finger out. Its such an awesome editor and really dont want to move to premiere. Pls dont force me!

I just found out about the 2.1 update today because NewTek sent out an email about the TriCaster Codec Pack. I never received an email regarding the SpeedEDIT update. I'm feeling an 'Aura' of disinterest from NewTek with regard to SE as well.
    << Nothing is true, everything is permitted >>

DaVinci Resolve, Fusion, Generation, LightWave, ChronoSculpt, NevronMotion, REDcine-X Pro,
    Nuendo, messiahStudio Pro 5, VT[4] v4.6, SpeedEDIT 2...

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I don't know if NewTek denied it, but I know I argued that I thought it might well turn out that TC would eventually turn out to be the driving force for SE development.
    Since SE is in TC this seems to make nothing but sense.

I doubt NT would stop development on the editing software within their 'cash cow'.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_C View Post
    Since SE is in TC this seems to make nothing but sense.

I doubt NT would stop development on the editing software within their 'cash cow'.
    Key words: 'within their cash cow'

It still leaves a big question mark for those who don't have said 'cash cow'.

It would be a mistake to assume those developments will reach stand alone users.

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    Key words: 'within their cash cow'

It still leaves a big question mark for those who don't have said 'cash cow'.

It would be a mistake to assume those developments will reach stand alone users.
    Do you think they would continue to develop it within TC and just say 'screw you SE buyers' and not port it over to stand alone? Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think so. Plus SteveB rarely if ever talks out of order re: developments and I trust his hintings.

Plus they can use stand alone users as beta testers and let them iron out the kinks before putting it in the flagship.

Blog Entries
    Let's hope your right Jim.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12