Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit Movie being filmed at 48 FPS

Quote Originally Posted by RudySchneider View Post
    Well, there is the possibility I'm all wet. What about the refresh rate of you monitor? My HP w2558hc, for instance, refreshes at either 60Hz or 75Hz, depending on the screen resolution.
    It was a fancy 120Hz CRT monitor so I could use it with LCD shutter glasses (which I eventually sat on and broke).

Can't believe there is a 60hz "uncanny valley" while 48 and 75 being fine, it would have been well documented. Quick tests an a random monitor wouldn't compare to efforts done on commercial systems for live venues.

60hz is eerily close to electronic issues due to external or internal factors of the pc, in the dark or not. Not sure how something in human vision would have issues with a specific framerate like that.

Normal uncanny valley is well documented and easily explainable.

It may very well have been subjective, but to my eyes there is a noticeable quality drop at 60fps. No idea what causes that.

Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    It may very well have been subjective, but to my eyes there is a noticeable quality drop at 60fps. No idea what causes that.
    probably not a drop in quality more to do with your eyes not processing it fast enough causing it to look worse / blurred , just a thought !

Quote Originally Posted by OnlineRender View Post
    probably not a drop in quality more to do with your eyes not processing it fast enough causing it to look worse / blurred , just a thought !
    That wouldn't explain why 75fps looked so beautiful. It was a particle system of bouncing balls done in 3DS Max sometime around the year 2000 or early 2001.

Maybe it's the framerate combined with in-frame motion blur that hits a bad spot at 60fps. At 24-48 fps you get more blur but it works well at those framerates. At 75fps you get less in-frame motion blur but more "actual" motion blur via your eyes, resulting in what I can only describe as "beautifully fluid" motion.

(It may have also been the fact that I was rendering at standard definition -- maybe 60fps works better at full HD and higher resolutions?)

I'm a total dunce at lightwave animation since I've been mainly learning modeling and surfacing, but if anyone here has a scene already set up that has a decent amount of movement in it we could do some render tests at different framerates to see if I'm just imagining things or if there really is a quality drop at 60fps.

I've got a 12-core system so I can volunteer some render time for the higher framerate versions. When in doubt, experiment!

Would be interesting for sure...Now, if only I had kept that bulky but fast CRT monitor! I wonder if my current screens go far beyond 60hz.. (for comparison)

Quote Originally Posted by Hieron View Post
    Would be interesting for sure...Now, if only I had kept that bulky but fast CRT monitor! I wonder if my current screens go far beyond 60hz.. (for comparison)
    Oh heck, good point.

All the info I've dug up indicates that the update speed of my 27" monitor is around 60Hz (27" iMac, now currently being used as a monitor for my 12-core system... Most Expensive "Monitor" Ever ).

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    you work on it?
    Got 2 good mates who work in CG. They laugh whenever you bring up Lightwave.

Quote Originally Posted by Hieron View Post
    I can sell you some nice 21 inches here :P

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
    Got 2 good mates who work in CG. They laugh whenever you bring up Lightwave.
    tell them to speak with Matt or Rob @ Nt for 10 minutes and then see what they say !

ignorance is bliss!

tell them to animate a UV map

 
    Last edited by erikals; 04-16-2011 at 04:48 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
    They laugh whenever you bring up Lightwave.
    That seems to be a worldwide reaction...

Current infrastructure

24fps movies in theaters are projected at 48fps, with each frame being shown twice in order to promote persistence and reduce flicker. It's possible that 48fps was chosen because there may be more existing projectors out there that can handle this rate over 60fps.
    << Nothing is true, everything is permitted >>

DaVinci Resolve, Fusion, Generation, LightWave, ChronoSculpt, NevronMotion, REDcine-X Pro,
    Nuendo, messiahStudio Pro 5, VT[4] v4.6, SpeedEDIT 2...

Quote Originally Posted by Liber777 View Post
    24fps movies in theaters are projected at 48fps, with each frame being shown twice in order to promote persistence and reduce flicker. It's possible that 48fps was chosen because there may be more existing projectors out there that can handle this rate over 60fps.
    Don't confuse the shutter rate with the transfer rate. Film in theaters moves at 24 frames per second.

Ah sorry, good point. I wasn't thinking that through.

I wonder if the mechanics of some projectors will allow for 48fps, as well as existing dcp setups.
    Last edited by Liber777; 04-21-2011 at 02:00 PM.
    << Nothing is true, everything is permitted >>

DaVinci Resolve, Fusion, Generation, LightWave, ChronoSculpt, NevronMotion, REDcine-X Pro,
    Nuendo, messiahStudio Pro 5, VT[4] v4.6, SpeedEDIT 2...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast