Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LW 10.1 announced at NAB

http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=6181

CGSociety CGNews
    NewTek chooses NAB to announce the roll out of extra features for LightWave.
    Moro num pais tropical...
    Discerne.com - personal blog

Quote Originally Posted by Samus View Post
    Man!!! ...for years people have been crying out loud for proper Cloth dynamics ... No Improvement there for Cloth FX or Hard FX....And they pretend that they listen to there Community... Sight!.... Big SIGH!!!!!
    Bear in mind this is a .1 update, not a full on big new feature release.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

I just wish NT would kick Modeler out and replace it with CORE ASAP !!!
    LW 10 VPR and LCS are great, but right now I think the combo: better modeling tools/history stack/performance/stable software would have a greater impact than dynamics, fluids and such.
    And the 2D compositing stuff.

PS. Have you seen Max 2012 "nitro engine"? It would be great to have Amb Occlusion while testing your model TODAY, but NT doesn't release CORE! Other software gonna catch up with all the CORE "exclusive" features, and now it's only a "lab" software, not a "production" software...
    Last edited by caesar; 04-12-2011 at 09:49 PM.

Mike, in Monsters Inc Tartiflette's Avatar
    Let's hope it's fully usable on Mac OS X, and not featured with bugs that let the processors run @10% while rendering because of a big problem with gradients...

Other than that LW10 is (at last, thanks Matt for that ! ) a good release with a now beautiful, modern and slick interface, while VPR is becoming a real workflow enhancement, so LW10.1, if it's able to kill the main bugs on OS X, should be a pretty good one.

Cheers,
    Laurent aka Tartiflette

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Bear in mind this is a .1 update, not a full on big new feature release.
    Indeed Matt. However Motion_designer is not a new feature and those not work in Any lw 9.x series. So by definition it is a bug. In principle if you upgrade a software original features should work not get worse ...

Dont get me wrong. I LOVE lightwave. but there is no worst let down then when a feature of your software let's you down for bug purposes.

sam.

Quote Originally Posted by Samus View Post
    Indeed Matt. However Motion_designer is not a new feature and those not work in Any lw 9.x series. So by definition it is a bug. In principle if you upgrade a software original features should work not get worse ...

Dont get me wrong. I LOVE lightwave. but there is no worst let down then when a feature of your software let's you down for bug purposes.

sam.
    While it might not be fast, or bug free (what software is?) and definately needs attention, Dynamics does 'work'.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Well... if you can bring it to there minds at newtek... MD2000 works way better than Cloth fx on 8.5 and not at all in Lw 10. both dynamic engines have there flaws . My question is why MD2000 does'nt work at all in the 9.x and 10 Releases.

Thanks

maybe a similar reason we lost Steamer?

Wasn't the new dynamics implementation done by the same guy that did FXBreak - newtek hired him, then he left a few years ago?

- Will.
    "All those with Psychokinesis, raise my hand."
    - The Doctor.
    The Room With No Doors
    by Kate Orman.

Top Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartiflette View Post
    Let's hope it's fully usable on Mac OS X, and not featured with bugs that let the processors run @10% while rendering because of a big problem with gradients...
    Is that documented somewhere? I'm curious because I am rendering a scene right now where it was taking 1.5 hours per frame, even after turning off radiosity and most ray trace options. I then decided to render via Screamernet, turning back on radiosity and many of the ray trace options. Now it's taking anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes per frame.

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WCameron View Post
    maybe a similar reason we lost Steamer?
    Ahh, Steamer, that and the "natural shaders" were really useful additions.
    I never did get why they were cut out of future releases, one reason I still have older versions of LW on my system.
    There are times where Steamer would be so much better than fog / hypervoxels. Sigh... Ah, nostalgia.
    Too old to die young.

Quote Originally Posted by hdace View Post
    According to NT support, 9.6.1 is done. They'll give you a permanent key if you don't want to upgrade to 10.
    I'm new to Lightwave so forgive me if this is a weird question. But why are they updating 9.6 when V10 is out? Isn't 10 already the upgrade of 9.6?

Incredible! "LightWave 10.1 is expected to be available to registered users of LightWave 10 in Q2 2011".
    Quarter after quarter years're passing and we haven't what they promised. LW10 and CORE.
    Other software houses are running with their programs and NT is still promising us the miracle!
    Sorry but i don't agree to have payied more than 900$ for promises.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Incredible! "LightWave 10.1 is expected to be available to registered users of LightWave 10 in Q2 2011".
    Quarter after quarter years're passing and we haven't what they promised. LW10 and CORE.
    Other software houses are running with their programs and NT is still promising us the miracle!
    Sorry but i don't agree to have payied more than 900$ for promises.
    Well... first of all, it says "is expected to" so... it isn't a promise per see, as it also hints that it could slip somewhat.

Secondly...

January - Mars = First Quarter
    April - June = Second Quarter

We are in May now, so, roughly a month left before "Q2 2011" has passed.

Thirdly, this announcement is just for LW10.1, so, don't expect CORE to somehow also be released in a new flavour.

And last... there was quite a huge change of management related to LW over at NewTek roughly a year ago. Jay and Jonas left, Rob and some others entered. Whatever was promised before Rob came in had to be changed, since Rob has other priorities regarding how LW classic and CORE should be developed.

From an insider perspective, I can't say I see things that would make NT slip the "Q2 2011" mark for LW10.1. Things seems to look good on the LW10.1 front.

So.. cheer up!

Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X (64 cores/ 128 threads)
    64GB Ram
    Quadro 620
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    We are in May now
    Wow, you're posting from the future? Still April here...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast