Thread: 9.5 pre-release is steller

Professional enemy shill clagman's Avatar

9.5 pre-release is steller

They have a good .mdd system in place now which allows for importing lwo complete with deform+morph+keyframe animation. After some tests I can this that this is just FANTASTIC!

Objects can now have more than 1 UV map, sweet.

It has shadow catching functionality and LW like hide from camera/from rays switches.

More cloud controls for limiting areas on volumetric cloud layers so you don't have to go with nodal controls to set specific areas. Used to need the various tooth nodes to vary density.

GPU anti alias...not sure about this one. I can't see any performance difference when enabled. It does say something about that its for "thin polygon" so....more tests I suppose.

VASTLY improved bitmap texturing so you can now use widget to move it around on surfaces (scale/rotate/move). Best of all you can actually see parametric based surfaces (not procedural) that use bitmaps correctly.

Velocity pass export (should be nice for some).

Some new cloud features for making all sorts of displacement effects on clouds influenced by objects in the scene. Haven't tried this one but the video on youtube shows potential.
    Seeing the glass as half empty is being an optimist when the glass is full of urine

Yeah, we were geeking out over this yesterday at work. MDD support is awesome and we're especially excited about the new cloud stuff and additional channel export support.

At home I have Infinite, not xStream, and I'm excited by MDD support because this helps me with shadow catching/casting for characters and should makes proper post-compositing with LW renders easier and more accurate.

Downloaded it last night. Can't wait to start playing.

G.

Eon have stepped up their game. XStream isn't going to be as necessary. I was only using it for scene setup anyway but now as long as the "stage terrain" is flat you can just set it all up in Vue to use as matte/shadow objects. I used to use collada for this but had real problems with geometry not matching up, and who wants to juggle two different files for one model.

I really want to figure out a way to use multibake for multiple entities but I'm not sure you can use a single mdd file for multiple elements. Well see Monday I guess
    Seeing the glass as half empty is being an optimist when the glass is full of urine

Yes, xStream is actually useable with Lightwave now. At work we've been using it more and more lately.

That said, I using the 'standalone' Infinite at home and I think new features will help a lot for integration with Lightwave renders even without xStream.

G.

Is 9.5 a "pay to upgrade" from 9.0?

I knew I should have waiting before upgrading from 8... :P

Argh. I guess I'll have to get the maintenance plan on my next upgrade.

Yeah, you have to pay for a maintenance contract to get the update.

This really sucked for me last year because after I paid for a year of maintenance to get 8.5, they only gave me two months of maintenance because the contract apparently begins from the day you originally purchased Vue. Needless to say lot of users were extremely unhappy about this arrangement. I almost passed on renewing my maintenance contract again, but then they gave me a 'free' upgrade to 9 after my 'two-month' support contract expired.

Now with the release of 9.5, I'm feeling a little better about having renewed my contract.

Edit: I don't know if shortening maintenance contracts is still the policy at e-on. If this concerns you, I would ask their sales people or post the question on on their forums before buying the contract. Overall I'm happy with the software, but I'm still a little upset about the situation when I bought my first 'year' of maintenance. Frankly, I would have felt better if they just charged me a maintenance 'activation' fee and then just gave me my full year; or just let me pay for an upgrade without buying into the maintenance contract.

It seems strange but actually it makes sense to backdate the maintenance to when the product was registered. If they have released two service packs during the year and maybe a .5 release you would be entitled to obtain all that even if you purchased maintenance at the last second. So they are also backdating the maintenance releases to make up for backdating the maintenance fee. The only part that doesn't work is the fact that you wouldn't have been using the ability to contact technical support (which isn't particularly useful anyway to be honest aside from reporting bugs that they might fix on the next release). I have never had the guts to install a EEF during a production.

Hmph...

Looks like I will have to pay $595.00 just to upgrade from 7.5 to 9.0 -

Perhaps I should scrape up the cash now, and go ahead...otherwise, I may have to pay more, for a 9.5 upgrade...

But I really enjoy 7.5, and 9.5 does indeed look awesome.

I currently have Vue 9 Complete, and from what I can tell, it'll cost me $595 to sidegrade to 9.5 Infinite. Not too bad a price, but I don't have that kind of extra cash these days.

Wish they'd put out a 9.5 Complete with the 9.5 features but limited it to no Rendercow or Hypervue abilities as I only have one machine anyhow. I'd gladly pay $295 for that.