Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SDI Recorder

SDI Recorder

I've been looking for an inexpensive yet high quality way to record our TCXD300 sporting events when the DDR is being used with timewarp for replays. This looks very promising...

http://atomos.com/samurai/

Has anyone else heard anything about this unit?

From Browser To Broadcast jmmultex's Avatar
    I don't know the Atomos unit, but I have heard good things about the AJA KiPro mini - a CF Card based HD-SDI based recorder (under $2000). That is probably worth investigating as well. If I hear anything about the Atomos unit I'll followup...

Best
    -John
    John Mahoney
    GNURAL NET, Inc.
    Trenton, NJ 08691

[email protected]
    http://www.gnuralnet.com

Gear:
    Gnural Net LiveToAir, TC1, TC1LP, MDS1, TC8000, Cameras: NDIHX-PTZ1, PTZ Optics ZCAM 20x

I use the Nanoflash on the output of my Tricaster which gives me a back recording to the Tricaster and a very simple drag and drop system onto the Final Cut time-line.
    If you want the very best then have a look at

http://www.dvinfo.net/news/convergen...emini-444.html

The Gemini-444 is compression independent but no cheap.
    I am also looking at the Atomos given the price you could use them as ISO recorders. I am trying to get to see a sample unit so I can see how much is noise is recorded in the blacks under low light.

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cuspclub View Post
    I've been looking for an inexpensive yet high quality way to record our TCXD300 sporting events when the DDR is being used with timewarp for replays. This looks very promising...

I demo'd the Ninja which seems pretty good so let's hope they display it at NAB.

The Ki Pro I have used as well as the nano. The other alternative is the only deck that uses the SXS media and it is not that expensive.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Quote Originally Posted by cuspclub View Post

That is pretty sweet looking.

I sent an email inquiry to them to check on availability and here is their response...

"Samurai availability will be summer as some parts form Japan have been delayed for obvious reasons. We expect June/July but can't be quite sure yet."

Thanks for the other suggestions too. I haven't checked the Sony SXS option yet I'll take a look at it. One of the things I like about the Samurai is that you can use 2.5" hard drives instead of large capacity memory cards. By the time you buy some of the other units and purchase several 64GB cards, the price jumps up like crazy.

I have the Atomos Ninja here and am still testing with a variety of HDMI devices. So far so good with 1080i 59.94. With 500GB laptop drives going for $50, this is a nice way to get a show into a Final Cut Pro timeline quick. I just wish the unit had a power supply to plug it in. It only uses batteries! At least they're dual mounted and hot swappable.

Until the Samurai ships, we'll just use a Blackmagic Designs HD-SDI to HDMI converter unless timecode is critical, then it's back to the nanoFlash for short shows or Ki Pro for extended durations.

Guy Cochran
    DVeStore

HDMI out of 850 does not like Ninja

I have borrowed a Ninja recorder and trying to use the HDMI out of my 850 but am not having any luck.
    The Ninja sees the HDMI check pulse when you bring up the tricaster but then the record goes gray so no way to record.
    Has anyone else been able to do anything with this?
    ed
    Toasting since 1990
    Tricaster 860AE Owner

BlackMagic Intensity Extreme

Anybody used one of these? http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

Would it be possible to use Video Out via SDI using an SDI to HDMI converter into this box and then capture to Mac Mini using Thunderbolt connection?

must figure out a solution ASAP. We do school sports and using TimeWarp w/ 300 can't get clean program out.

Open to ideas or suggestions...

The Ultra Studio has the SDI connector already and the one you would choose if you want to go Thunderbolt. The HyperDeck is shipping now I was told and its a stand alone device. It has SDI in so all you need to add is a solid state drive. I don't have one to tell you how well it works but I've been waiting for a demo to look over for a while now.

Take care,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Here's the solution we finally decided on. It works great for our 1080i productions...

Panasonic AG-HMR10

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...Model=AG-HMR10

I don't think it records in standard definition but it's great for HD. It records in a high-resolution AVCHD format. We can usually get an entire football game on one 32gig card, but I usually swap cards at half time just to be safe. AVCHD can be harder to edit but the file sizes are much smaller. We use Premiere Pro CS5 with MPE and seems to work pretty well. If you need tips on how to downconvert the final product to SD cleanly with Premiere, let me know. I've got workflow that seems to be much better than just sending the HD sequence directly to Adobe Media Encoder.

One thing, if you go this route, download MTS File Joiner to join the 4gb files together without gaps between clips. it does a binary file copy that makes everything work without tiny gaps between clips.

https://sites.google.com/site/mtsfilejoiner/Home/files

Hopefully this will help someone save some time.

Nick

Jose, the Blackmagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle is a very nice product for capturing video and audio via SDI and HDMI inputs. The unit includes a battery for true portable capabiltiy but can also run off of AC. It records uncompressed QuickTime files, which produces very pretty pictures but large files. Go with a large SSD . . . .

Matt Drabick,
    DigiTek Systems

Thanks
    I hope to get a demo unit soon though to test it out with different equipment.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Another vote for the HMR10. I use these in all my shows.

Joe
    Blaze Streaming Media
    www.blazestreaming.com

Get a HyperDeck from Blackmagic. They do a small version called "Shuttle" or a rackmount version called "Studio". List is $395 or $995 respectively.

The Studio supports recording in 444 via HDMI which is very nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast