Thread: Urgent help with rendering!

Multimedia Magician

Urgent help with rendering!

I am hoping some of the experienced people here can help me.

I have been working on a project that is pretty intricate.

The full video is about 1 hour. But I worked on it in separate projects (1 project for each section). There are a total of 12 projects. I have loaded each section project into a new project (one after the other). I am trying to render them out collectively as an AVI (NTSC DV Type2 4x3), so I can turn it into a DVD track.

However, every time I try to render, a few minutes goes by and I get a prompt: "SpeedEDIT.exe has stopped working". I would really appreciate your input on how to fix this. I need this DVD mastered right away! Thanks so much!

I'd try rendering each project using the SpeedHQ - Project Size.avi profile instead and then bring them all into a final project--I've usually had good luck with that.

Could also try running SE as an administrator?

I've had this happen and it has usually been due to a corrupt (rendered) file.
    What I do to find the corrupt file is load only 1/2 of the renders on the time line... then try to render it out.. if it stops.. reduce the number to 1/4 of the renders... what you're trying to do is find the corrupt clip. Once you have figured out which one it is, then re-render that clip and try the complete process (put all renders on time line) again.

Clear as mud
    John

Multimedia Magician
    Thanks guys. I'm able to render each individual project. But I'm worries about quality loss when re-rendering them collectively. I've noticed that SpeedEdit HQ doesn't hold up well to multiple re-renders.

My timeline doesn't have any renders on it. It is a series of projects. They load and play fine on the time line. It's just when I go to render the timeline that it locks up. In fact, when I select them all to create a sub-project, it does the same thing.

Can you Save As and render it in VirtualDub?

render as uncompressed bgr24 avi this will hold up and be compatible
    TriCaster Mini Advanced Edition with NDI Camera, LightWave 11.5 + SpeedEDIT 4.2
    Music by www.soundtraxxmusic.com
    Available in The NewTek Store: https://store.newtek.com/index.php/content/soundtrack-bundle.htm

Multimedia Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Farrell View Post
    Thanks, I'll try that next time. In the interest of time, I had to render them all as AVI DV type2 audio.

Multimedia Magician
    This double-rendering produces awful results. SpeedEdit should be able to render consecutive projects on a timeline so that no one has to do this. I'd submit another bug report, but I've received no response to legitimate bugs reported a year ago. After over 20 years using Newtek products, I'm frustrated, and I'm disappointed in Newtek. I bought SpeedEdit with the understanding it could do all the things I expected it would. It turns out that there are a lot of bugs, unavailable features, and restrictions that unfortunately are specifically things that I need. I might feel better about it if any of my previous issues were addressed, or even acknowledged. But so far, the result is an inability to perform as claimed, and a lot of pissed off clients of mine because I expected Speed Edit to perform the way it was supposed to perform. I truly am disappointed and thought that SpeedEdit would be a wonderful tool. I am still hopeful that these issues will be addressed, but I remain doubtful at this point.
    Last edited by travisr; 03-25-2011 at 01:31 PM.

Multimedia Magician
    Since I apparently need to double-render, because SpeedEdit can't do what it's supposed to do, I will try this method and hope for the best. Thanks for the suggestion. I have to render each of these 12 projects separately, and then combine those renders onto a timeline, and render that stream again in order to produce a DVD. I'm literally shaking my head in disbelief.

I will share my quick procedure to get a DVD encode directly from an un-rendered SE2 project. You do however need a BlackMagic intensity pro or other compatible output hardware.
    Simply play the HD or SD timeline onto a realtime DVD recorder and then take these vob files from the DVD, if you want better menus than the recorder offers, and re-organize them with a program that will access the vob files without re-render, only just add a menu (I often use Nero Vision) add chapters and burn.
    It does take an investment in hardware but works fast and quality even with my inexpensive Toshiba recorder.

Multimedia Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by donx View Post
    I will share my quick procedure to get a DVD encode directly from an un-rendered SE2 project. You do however need a BlackMagic intensity pro or other compatible output hardware.
    Simply play the HD or SD timeline onto a realtime DVD recorder and then take these vob files from the DVD, if you want better menus than the recorder offers, and re-organize them with a program that will access the vob files without re-render, only just add a menu (I often use Nero Vision) add chapters and burn.
    It does take an investment in hardware but works fast and quality even with my inexpensive Toshiba recorder.
    This is a really good idea! I might try this. I have high quality Pioneer realtime DVD record decks. I'm currently in the process of rendering all of my projects uncompressed. If that doesn't work, then I will try your idea. Thanks for sharing!

Multimedia Magician
    Thanks again. This made a noticeable improvement!

Quote Originally Posted by travisr View Post
    I have to render each of these 12 projects separately, and then combine those renders onto a timeline, and render that stream again in order to produce a DVD.
    Another possible solution:
    Most DVD authoring systems I've used, will let you make a single clip out of your 12 multiple clips. By somehow editing or appending more files into a single "Clip" or "Movie" or "Track", (they call it by different names),
    Adam Lightplay
    310-779-6230
    [email protected]

"The future's so bright, I think it's unterminated".

Multimedia Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_LightPlay View Post
    Another possible solution:
    Most DVD authoring systems I've used, will let you make a single clip out of your 12 multiple clips. By somehow editing or appending more files into a single "Clip" or "Movie" or "Track", (they call it by different names),
    This is a good tip, and I tried that as well. I got decent results, but have had a difficult time with the way the authoring is set up within TMPGEnc. I got it to work, but not without substantially forcing my will upon it.