Thread: Joystick to MC Link issue

Yes, I've been a good boy dstorer's Avatar

Joystick to MC Link issue

Hello All,

I am doing my first character with Non-Linear morphs (Thanks Carm3d). The NL Morphs are solid. When I try to link the Master channel controller to a joystick in my facial controls, the link doesn't work.

So I have a NL Morph setup as MC.Blink_LT (Low Value=0.0, High Value=1.0) and it works great. I have a joystick called BlinkLR_Joystick and I apply the following expression to MC.Blink_LT in Graph Editor: clamp( ( mapRange([BlinkLR_Joystick.Position.Y],0.000,0.050,0.000,1.000) ) + ( mapRange([BlinkLR_Joystick.Position.X],0.000,0.050,0.000,1.000) ) , 0.000 , 1.000 )

Moving the joystick doesn't engage the morph. This expression works fine for linking joysticks to regular endomorphs. But this is my first time with NL Morphs and MC, so I don't know if my values need to be different. I also tried setting the expression output to 100, 0.100, 0.010, etc. with no effect.

I appreciate any pearls or ideas you guys may have.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
    -Thomas Edison

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Im not familiar with the NL morf trick you're using... but, if the morfs are being driven by expressions whose input is a master channel, and you THEN try to control that master channel using further expressions... it probs won't work.

Expressions can only run 2 deep when one expressions references another, and when expression/channel hopping, I think you may only get one deep.

Cant actually remember as I havent tried doing anything that way round in a lot of years... wouldnt surprise me if it was because it didnt work.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Yes, I've been a good boy dstorer's Avatar
    Thanks for the reply, RH. The trick, I found on Carm 3d's YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/carm3d#p/u/5QP3g0a_r1V4

You make 'x' amount of morphs of an eyelid closing. Make a Master Channel(MC) with the overall 'morph' name and setup the frame range. In Graph Editor(GE), you use Cycler to link the MC to the morphs. and give each morph a different frame range to cover. Then you change the MC value in GE from 0-1 and there you have it.

I like using a custom Joystick setup so I can get both eyelids working with left/right by moving one stick. I know that I could probably do this with a LW's intrinsic slider, but that would only do one eyelid at a time (more work on the facial tweaking end), so I probably will have to bite the bullet and roll with that. Thanks again, man!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
    -Thomas Edison

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Ok... well its a less common combination of tools, so I cant say for sure, but I well suspect that its a simple evaluation gotcha. cycler most likely cant see the result of the expression driving the MC, so it jsut reads mc at 0 the whole time.

Personally I prefer for eyelids, I prefer having by base morf with the eyes half closed (sleepy look), then one morf to open, and another to blink, and tie them to either ends of a 2d joystic (slider)... This generally works pretty well most of the time, and the linear nature isnt very obvious at all.

Obv, it works better on more realistic characters, where the eyelids direction of travel does have a much more linear travel anyhow, and gets worse the bigger and rounder the eyeball is.

Another way to do it in these situations, is to either still use the half-open/wide/close setup, or jsut a simple 1 morf thing, wide base, close morf... and use a bone along with either.

Put a bone in the centre of the eyeball... basically the same position as the eyebone itself... so its pointing direct forwards. Weight it to the lid...

Then setup the slider/joystick to drive your morf... which probs penetrates the eyeball... Now use cycler on the bones Zscale, and tie it also to the joystick, key the bone at base rest scale 1,1,1 at the points of base, or full morf, and animate it streching on Z to smoosh the lid mesh in and out over the eyeball surface as required at mid points.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all